Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting Protectorate of Menoth
Old 09 Sep 2009, 23:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Merqu
Default Starting Protectorate of Menoth

Righty I'm just bout to get into Warmachine, just acquired the Main Rules and I'm thinking of starting with Protectorate of Menoth. I'll be getting the Battle Group starter set and also the Knights Exemplars And the Choir guys. Now I've only had a starter match and got the basic jist of the rules. So what would be a good place to go from those to purchases? or indeed are they infact good purchases to begin with? Of course the Battle Group is an obviously good starting point just making sure it is the best one.

Learning curve is not an issue for me as I started 40k with Tau so I'm no stranger to it ;D

Also what paints are good for the Protectorates? I was thinkin of just getting the Protectorate and Iron Islands paint sets to start with

Thanks in advance!
Merqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2009, 08:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Starting Protectorate of Menoth

From what we've seen so far of MKII protectorate jacks can get quite nasty when supported right. The choir is a must have for this, backed up by the Vassal of menoth. Even without giving any focus to a jack, infusing it, sending it into combat and then using the ancillary attack ability of of the vassal makes even light jacks shockingly deadly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2009, 09:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to BobTD

You can also go with the warcaster who has the feat to knock all opponents down within his casting area along with those crazy inaccurate rocket units the protectorate uses. They might still have a a chance of backfiring (dont remember the card entirely) but if they dont blow themselves up they are a lot of fun.

As for paints, I usually buy mine individually. Take a look on google at all the fun colors schemes people have used because IMO the protectorate is one of the best looking armies ever.

And there really is no wrong way to develop your army, a starter box for any faction should be based on your preference on what appeals to you the most, but the real fun is developing a larger army out of any units you just think look cool.

It been said before, but try to avoid being drawn into power gaming. Building armies specifically to get the most out of the points takes a lot of fun out of actually playing the army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vilest Worm
In Russia they have the government-sponsored "sex week" and it is the best holiday there is. I don't think it's even about growing the country, Russia just knows what's up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanderBleek
Bob, you're either a comic genius or just really, really...yeah.
BobTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2009, 12:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Merqu

OH god no I wasn't going to 'power game'. I never have with 40k and I'm not going to with this. Hence saying I don't mind about Learning Curve.

Right also is it okay to mix Exemplar units with Flameguard units? I mean this from a tactical and fluffy point? Cos looking at some lists people have written up over the interweb at various places I rarely see these two together. Was just wondering if there was a reason.
Merqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2009, 12:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Protectorate can be vicious. They have the hitting power of an army like Cygnar with the synergy of an army like Cryx. Overall, they've got some very hard hitting jacks with great troops and the ability to support it all. Best of luck to you.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2009, 04:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to BobTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merqu
OH god no I wasn't going to 'power game'. I never have with 40k and I'm not going to with this. Hence saying I don't mind about Learning Curve.

Right also is it okay to mix Exemplar units with Flameguard units? I mean this from a tactical and fluffy point? Cos looking at some lists people have written up over the interweb at various places I rarely see these two together. Was just wondering if there was a reason.
I keep waiting for someone to answer this because I have no idea. I do know from some of the fluff that there are less extrema groups in the protectorate. But as far as I know there is no reason you couldn't put them all in the same army and not have it believable fluff wise.

I have just never played Menoth personally and havent followed NoQuarter so I cant say for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vilest Worm
In Russia they have the government-sponsored "sex week" and it is the best holiday there is. I don't think it's even about growing the country, Russia just knows what's up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanderBleek
Bob, you're either a comic genius or just really, really...yeah.
BobTD is offline   Reply With Quote