Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Retribution is now shaping up
Old 10 Jun 2009, 02:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Retribution is now shaping up

Pictures

Not too sold on the Myrmidons. They look a little too odd for my taste. I'm not a fan of the huge shoulders & legs and little heads & hands. But, hey, they look Elven, I suppose.

I do really like the light jacks, though. I think they look pretty sharp.

I'm pretty pissed about Kaelyssa. Her concept art looks so much more bad ass.

Overall, it's pretty good looking thusfar. We'll see how the multi-jack plastic kits work. I'll be getting my metal models while I still can, though.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2009, 11:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Retribution is now shaping up

I wish the Myrmidons had obvious guns/ranged weapons. I also think Kaelyssa could have used a better pose. But hey! There are still three warcasters and many solos outstanding, so who knows!

Also, the 360-view is very nice.
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2009, 11:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Yeah, I've seen these pics already, kinda disappointing all in all.

Especially the female character, I mean seriously, what in the hell? How do you get that from that concept art? The male is no better...his pose is static and despite the fact that his sword is making Cloud Strife jealous, his face is just terrible. And those ears, god...because elf ears have to be three feet long, how else would you know they were elves?

Just...wow. Bad, bad sculpts. The jacks aren't much better, either. The light ones look okay, but the heavy jacks? I bet even the Emprah himself didn't have pauldrons that freaking huge. I mean Jesus, I was almost afraid that I'd get poked in the eye by one if I watched the 360 view.

I've seen a lot of people attacking the paint scheme and claiming that it lets the models down, but I really don't think so, it's the models themselves. It sucks too because I really liked the race and the concept art that I'd seen, and I was thinking that this would be my WM army if I was actually going to get into it, but I'm kinda disappointed, like I said...

Also, look at those prices. $35 for the army book? The invictors or whatever they are, arguably the best-looking models of them all, are $50 for what, 10 figures? And I thought GW was bad.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2009, 12:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

For someone who is thinking about getting into WM, you really hate on it alot.

But I agree, I don't particularly like the two warcasters we've seen. That's alright, there are still three more to go.

The Myrmidons, on the other hand... they look static, but I think that's a problem with the builder, not the model. I don't mind the pauldrons - it's a unique stylistic choice that sets the Retribution apart from the other four armies. I do wish they had guns, but maybe seeing artwork of them in action - or having them posed like they're shooting out of their hands or some such - will make that more palatable.

I should remind you that this is just part of the full army release. I'm waiting to see what the Houseguard Rifleman look like, personally.

However - the prices are the last thing to complain about. They're actually quite good. $35 is steep for a Games Workshop codex, yeah, but this is a Privateer Press rulebook we're talking about. Full color, to begin with. Amazing artwork. Fluff that makes sense and that doesn't fall back on "well that's a secret and open to interpretation." Historic scenarios. They're great books - you should look at one before you dig on the price.

$50 is alot of money, sure, but the Invictors are metal figures, and a full unit to boot - you needn't worry about getting blisters to actually make your squad work. Compare that to $41.21 for 10 Battle Sisters that are 5+ years old, have no update in sight, and are missing most of the special weapons you will need to actually have a competitive unit. Not to mention that a full squad is 20 Sisters.
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Old 10 Jun 2009, 15:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidstyler
And those ears, god...because elf ears have to be three feet long, how else would you know they were elves?
One of my biggest complaints about fantasy miniatures (both PP & GW or anyone else for that matter) is disproportionate features. Unfortunately, though, that's just part of the game. When you're dealing with a 30mm model, sculpting everything to scale (hands, ears, breasts, weapons) would leave most, if not all, models looking very generic. It's almost impossible to get expressions and "coolness" crammed into a true 25mm or 30mm model. Thus, elves have 8 inch ear, every woman is a D cup, and everyone has man hands.

Quote:
Also, look at those prices. $35 for the army book?
GW books are, what, $25.00 for a ~100 page book that is mostly black and white? This is $35.00 for a ~200 page color book that contains rules for each faction. Imagine being able to buy the 5th edition rules plus basic codices for all of the races for $40.00 then expand with new units for each race for $35.00 a book.

Quote:
The invictors or whatever they are, arguably the best-looking models of them all, are $50 for what, 10 figures? And I thought GW was bad.
That's $5.00 a model. Most GW stuff is in that price range. On top of that, you rarely need more than one of each unit to play. So whereas you might spend $50.00 on one unit of Invictors, you'll need between 2-6 of a GW troops choice.

But otherwise, what Elliot said. Privateer isn't perfect by any stretch. But I'm not quite as doom and gloom about it.
Old 11 Jun 2009, 01:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I just followed my own advice, and checked out the 360-views of the heavy myrmidon (Hydra/Manticore/Phoenix), and I'm sold. Their almost too streamlined in the front, but the exhaust tubes and exposed metal in the back really brings them back down into the IK universe.
Old 21 Jun 2009, 03:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

NQ 25 has retribution stuff:
http://www.privateerpressforums.com/...post&p=2704823

I'm loving that picture. If the model does him justice...I might have to consider some Retribution stuff. He's amazingly cool looking.
Old 24 Jun 2009, 06:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Model is even better than the artwork! He's like Caine, but a pissed off elf with a beard!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2009, 09:49   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

I guess it's really hit and miss with PP sculpts, that model looks worlds better than the previous two. I like his face most of all.

The only thing I really hate about it are his silly weapons. I think they'd look better if they were just blades held like tonfas, but building guns into the hilts just doesn't make much sense to me. Rule of cool though I guess.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2009, 13:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Why use a sword when it can also be a gun? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote