Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting Brettonians
Closed Thread
Old 14 Sep 2005, 01:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to korik1
Default Starting Brettonians

I decided to start Brettonians instaed of Wood Elves because I wanted an army made mostly of cavalry. I bought the battalion (which has 16 men-at-arms, 16 bowmen, 8 knights of the realm, and 3 pegasus knights) and I plan on getting the Army book as soon as possible. I was wondering if anyone had any advice.

Everyone is normal until you get to know them!

Old 14 Sep 2005, 10:09   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe
Default Re: Starting Brettonians

yes. Get Grail knights, and Laugh.

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Old 16 Sep 2005, 09:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

In a small game, Grail Knights aren't worth their cost. Knights of the Realm can do the same job and a lower price (money and points wise...)

I've got a Bretonnian army, so here's some advice; all cavalry looks scary and is too, unless your opponent knows what he is doing. He'll just bait you in to unfavourable charges. Try using a mix of units instead- I have one unit of non-knights for every unit of knights/characters (gets the theme of the knights bringing their men-at-arms with them to battle, like they would in reality). You'll have a bit more fun this way- charging with an army of knights is kinda boring. Mixing units spices it up.

Also, play in the theme of the army. I do, and I've never had so much fun playing a wargame! See, if the opponent has a hard unit, charge it from the front. Some might call this suicide. Perhaps they're right, but think of the glory if you win!

And don't forget to challenge. Always. And always accept a challenge, regardless of who is fighting you (Chaos Lord on a dragon, or Skaven Clanrats... It matters not!). Nothing beats the amusement you get when a Yeoman Warden challenges a Chaos Knight champion and nearly wins.

Honour is all! Chivalry is all! Don't forget that and have fun.

p.s. Pegasus Knights are awesome, but don't overload on them. Three are enough for what they can do. But take too many, and you may find that no-one will play you.
Old 16 Sep 2005, 10:16   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe

He never mentioned points.....And having a unit of champions charge me would worry me, I don't know about you.

I shall stick by my cannons!!!

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Old 16 Sep 2005, 21:35   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I'd tend to agree with the "all cavalry" approach to Bretonnians. However, I always did like some of the funnier stuff in Warhammer, such as the Grail Relique. This unit is brilliant, solely because sooner or later your opponent will utter the dreaded lines "they're not important, I'll ignore them"... at which point your 200pt Peasant unit wipes out 1,500pts of Chaos Chosen Daemon Princes of Doom.

As the saying goes: don't mess with the f-in' peasants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 19 Sep 2005, 20:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thanks for the advice.
I've planned out my two Paladins for my army as it starts and was wondering what you pleasent people think of them.

Paladin - General
barded warhorse
Virtue of Confidence
Gauntlet of the duel
Biting Blade
Grail Vow
Lance
Shield
Total 146

Paladin - Battle Standard
Barded Warhorse
Holy Icon
Grail Vow
Biting Blade
Total - 145

Old 25 Sep 2005, 11:12   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

now for my 2 pesos

for my errantry list at 2000 points i use 7 blocks of 9 knight errants. with either a lord and a paladin and 2 damsels or 2 paladins and 2 damsels. This isnt the usual approach to the brettonian army as players tend to swear by thier grail knights however i find that when im playing skilled opponents they usually just shoot them down with either magic or shooting (despite being double thier point cost a grail knight and an errant are just EQUALLY as hard to kill using magic and shooting) or worse they leave them intact if im using a screening force and i have to spend an extra turn not charging cuz i have to get the screening force out of the way. In combat players will tell you that 9 grail knights give you an abnormally large number of attacks (21 attacks including horses) costing 362 points. With 2 regiments of 9 errants you get (30 attacks including horses) for 388 points. The 18 errant knights are harder to kill, give you a better chance to outnumber, and give you a greater chance to retain rank bonus, as well as the ability to lap without losing rank bonus,as well as take advantage of the points effeciency of the bretonni rulebook(free champs). The impetous rule can also be offset as you are using 60+ knights...(they cant divert em all, unless they are planning specifically for your army). Btw in a brettonian army ive noticed that a lord is not always a neccessity at 2000 points. Knightly charges at ws3 s6 is usually enough to kill charachters. th 60+ knights also give a big psychological advantage to your army as it looks like a 2500 point army when compared to other brettonians. Btw always get a squad of 3 pegasus knights, they plug up one of the most annoying weaknesses of the army, characters hugging your flank staying out of charge range. Anyways whatever style u play as i wish you luck.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 22:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The reason I chose brettonians was for their speed. I do plan on fielding a mostly cavalry army, but I also wish to include batlle pilgrims and a trebuchet.

Closed Thread