Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A Few Questions On Vampire Counts
Closed Thread
Old 25 Aug 2005, 18:28   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default A Few Questions On Vampire Counts

I'm thinking about getting into Vampire Counts and need some help. I was remembering back in the days when some of my friends used to play Warhammer Fantasy and overhearing one of them say that their Vampire Count Wraith (the grim-reaper-looking guy) was mounted on a Zombie Dragon (or a Winged-Nightmare, can't remember which). My friend reasoned that since the Wraith is ethereal, he would confer his ability to the steed. To me this seems very powerful, as the last time I checked only Magic could hurt ethereal models. This would prove very good at dispatching rank-and-file Core Units, or even hunting down other more powerful models. Are my assumptions valid or am I just dreaming of a really cool looking Hero unit...

OK here is another question. Although I don't have the Codex with me, the Vampire Count Spirit Host's are a neat unit that I would like to have in my army if I decide to go with Vampire Counts. Are they any good, or should I get some other unit instead?

Also, I need some advice on how to use the Core Units in a Vampire Counts army. Should I go all Skeletons/Zombies/Ghouls/etc... or should I go with a more balanced force? Should I bother upgrading the Core Units at all with Light Armor and Spears etc... or should I just keep them cheap.

One more question on the Vampire Counts. I'm just wondering which Blood-Line all you Vampire Count players use, if any Blood-Line at all, and why you think it deserves to be used over the others.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 25 Aug 2005, 18:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq
Default Re: A Few Questions On Vampire Counts

'Vampire Count Wraith (the grim-reaper-looking guy) was mounted on a Zombie Dragon (or a Winged-Nightmare, can't remember which). My friend reasoned that since the Wraith is ethereal, he would confer his ability to the steed. '

They can't actually ride a Zombie Dragon to start with and even if they could, riders never confer abilities like that to monsterous mounts.

I hate Spirit Hosts, but mainly because I don't use Vampire Counts and they are amazingly good. They are a great unit although the models for them are aweful. They can't be hurt by regular fire-power, most normal units etc. But I wouldn't take too many as it is a little unfair against some armies (ones that don't have much in the way of magic or magic weapons...like Dogs of War).

Zombies and Skellies are ok. I would definatley take some Ghouls though, they are one of the hardest units to shoot down in the game and they pack a decent punch in combat. They are great to cover the flanks of your force.

I'd advise a reasonable mix of Zombies and Skellies with the Skellies having some upgrades.

All the bloodlines are pretty cool IMO. Although if you go Strogoi (sp?) you will need a lot of Ghouls. Lahmians and Von Carstiens are the most balanced and can do it all (magic, close combat etc).
Old 25 Aug 2005, 21:43   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe
Default Re: A Few Questions On Vampire Counts

Strigoi. Strigoi and Blood Dragons are the most fun, if you ask me. Less damned skeletons.

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Closed Thread