Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tips on a High Elves army
Closed Thread
Old 21 Aug 2005, 20:21   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Tips on a High Elves army

I want to start a High Elf army. I don't want a cheese list but mainly spears/cavalry. Lots of magic too. Any ideas?
Old 21 Aug 2005, 20:36   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe
Default Re: Tips on a High Elves army

The main tips to an Elven army are Spear Tips and Arrow Tips.

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Old 23 Aug 2005, 04:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

man, how useful that post was.........

anyways, the main tactics for elves vary depending on how you like to play. sorry that is about a useful as Roos there. Basically you want spear and cavalry right? so there is your game play. use the spears as an anvil and the cavalry as flank hitters or as a hammer.

here are some basic ideas.

1 - always try to max out on spear units, IE have 20. the back rank don't fight but they are there for whittled purposes and for rank bonuses. I also suggest going 5 across so you can have 15 attacks when you haven't charged
2 - look at the banner that ignores terrain for movement for the flanking force, perhaps make it a unit of SH
3 - choose who has the pure of heart carefully, perhaps even placing it on a mage that shouldn't see combat.
4 - lord with gem of hoeth and seer ability with fire spells should look at getting the flaming sword of rhuin

hope that helps, I have some more, but I am sure that is enough for ya.

just my two cents....
Old 23 Aug 2005, 09:41   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe

Thats what I meant. High Elves strengths are in there archers (arrow tips) spearsmen (spear tips) and horsemen (lance tips). Also there are mages (PG tips)

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Old 18 Oct 2005, 11:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

i think that the high elfish strengths are their special troops and thier manouvrability. But never rely on lothern sea guard because if you lose that then you have lost equal to 2 units so they are not useful as the backbone of your army but if you have points to spare and want a double function unit then go for it.

"Sometimes, I'm embarrassed to be your friend..."
Old 18 Oct 2005, 20:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Location: I live in the real world, a place you will never see, since you are stuck in a prison: a prison before your mind, a prison i like to call: The Matrix. You're not missing much.
Send a message via MSN to i dont play 40k

A single bolt thrower should never go amiss, they can be extremely useful in detering the enemy from coming too close to your more vunerable units, such as mages. They are also excelent against enemy cavalry advances and a successful hit can really knock a monster for 6 (well 3...). As for special units, Swordmasters of Hoeth are one of the most fluffy, useful, tactiful and generally cool units in the game. Great character hunters, not too expensive for what they (multiple S6 attacks never fail to impress) and the Bladelord can take magic items ;D . Tinaroc chariots are useful as most chariots are, and also reasonably priced. For core units, try to get an even balance between spearmen, archers and silver helms - 15 spearmen, 16 archers and 8 silver helms are the most efficent proportions I have found so far. Don't be concerned about sending these units storming ahead, spearmen are strong units, as you will always have them in at least 3 ranks anyway due to their spears - that's a lot of attacks and a tough unit. You can then use this chance to send a chariot storming into the side, nice... As for high elf characters - you gotta love them. Take one mage, one commander, or for larger battles two commanders and an archmage etc. These are so customisable its great. Try to mount all commanders, preferably on eagles as these save using up a rare choice.
Closed Thread