Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fleeing rules
Closed Thread
Old 09 Jul 2005, 09:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Location: I live in the real world, a place you will never see, since you are stuck in a prison: a prison before your mind, a prison i like to call: The Matrix. You're not missing much.
Send a message via MSN to i dont play 40k
Default Fleeing rules

In large battles, it is quite common to have a unit completely surrounded by enemy units i.e. enemies at the front, rear and both flanks. So what would happen if this unit is broken in combat, as is quite likely. The rulebook doesn't say anything about what happens if a unit is unable to flee, so I thought on introducing a rule that should make sense: The unit stays in combat, but can't attack. All attacks made against the unit automatically hit (armour safes can be made as normal). The unit also suffers a further -2 penalty to their leadership, and no bonuses from characters may be used. This is to represent the unit trying to run away, but completely failing and breaking down into a form of mass hysteria as the unit has nothing they can do.

What do you think of these rules, and is there anything I could do to improve them?
Old 09 Jul 2005, 12:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Fleeing rules

There were rules in an old WD that covered this sort of thing, ie when a unit is facing enemies on all sides. I think you flee through the unit with the smallest US, or was it away from the unit with the largest US, I forget, I'll check once I get my WD back (it's with a friend* : great...) If someone could clarify this that would be great.

edit- hehe, found the rules on the GW site, this makes it so much easier .

http://uk.games-workshop.com/chronic...ary-fleeing/1/ read fleeing when surrounded.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 18:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Location: I live in the real world, a place you will never see, since you are stuck in a prison: a prison before your mind, a prison i like to call: The Matrix. You're not missing much.

Those rules are quite good, though I still find it hard to believe that an entire unit can somehow squeeze through the ranks of another unit without loosing a single casualty. The other rules are good though.
Old 10 Jul 2005, 21:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

It is not as such, an entire unit fleeing through another unit, what happens is the unit fleeing breaks apart so it is more single men, or beings running through a unit.

just my two cents....
Old 11 Jul 2005, 07:20   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaon
Those rules are quite good, though I still find it hard to believe that an entire unit can somehow squeeze through the ranks of another unit without loosing a single casualty. The other rules are good though.
Game terms: Unit suffers seven casualties, and flees.

"Reality" terms: Unit suffers three casualties, and flees. Four more men are cut down trying to escape the melee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 12 Jul 2005, 15:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

If 7 casualties are the final result of that combat, although in "reality" terms they are only 3 casualties and 4 are killed in the flee. But if you rolesexactly the same dice, but this time the unit does not flee, you still have killed 7 people. So really that reasoning doesn't make sense (if you mean something else please tell me).

I still find it hard to believe that an entire unit, even if not in rank and file, can flee through a hard line of bulky orcs at all, let alone getting through without any casualties. All the models within the unit are as close together as possible to protect each other and form a stronger line. This added to the fact that the unit is always moving forwards make it seem near impossible for just one troop to get through the many ranks of units bulked together, let alone all of them.
Old 15 Jul 2005, 11:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well, these are official rules (I think) so you can make house rules with your friends and all, though you can't argue with someone if he wants to use the official rules and you want to use your house rules. Though this situation is rather rare (ie when a unit is completely surrounded) so you shouldn't really stress about the issue.
Old 15 Jul 2005, 12:20   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Kangaroo Joe

As a general point, whoevers house it is makes the rules. Providing they are giving you food.

Quote:
No love, it's GREAT Britain....the clue's in the name

Thanx to Kais for the sig
Closed Thread