Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Cheesy but desperate
Closed Thread
Old 28 Jun 2005, 19:23   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Cheesy but desperate

For my birthday, I got a total of 50 of GW gift vouchers and I was wondering what to spend it on, when I decided to start up a whole new army, one I will actually keep going with. Anyway, I need advice on an army that can, how shall I say it, whip Chaos's behind! It may be harder to do in Fantasy than in 40k, but nonetheless, there is one person who I've never beaten, and I've just had enough of it. I am completely open to what type of army it is, what units within it and any tactics used, as long as it beats chaos! :P :P :P

Who said that cavemen were not intelligent?

www.Ougadougo.com is the best place in the world
Old 28 Jun 2005, 19:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Location: I live in the real world, a place you will never see, since you are stuck in a prison: a prison before your mind, a prison i like to call: The Matrix. You're not missing much.
Send a message via MSN to i dont play 40k
Default Re: Cheesy but desperate

My advice: don't bother :P
Old 28 Jun 2005, 20:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

Chaos really are not powerful in Fantasy. Beasts of Chaos perhaps but Mortal and Daemons are really nothing special.

For the most part they are very,very slow. Expensive, have little to no firepower etcetc.

So I seriously hope your not suggesting that Fantasy Chaos are beardy? because the simple fact of the matter is that they aren't, there are far more Fantasy forces that extreme beardy lists can be made out of than Chaos.

Collecting an army with the specific purpose of beating one army (which isn't very difficult to beat in the first place) is not a good idea. What about when you want to play against another army, what if you hate the models for the army that are best against Chaos?.

Just go for an army that you like and forget about this silly Chaos thing.

Still, any army in Fantasy has a decent chance against Chaos. How about Empire? Cannons and handguns shred through warriors and halberd armed detatchments can pack a punch hard enough to worry chaos, especially when the parent unit is a big squad of spears.

Old 28 Jun 2005, 20:30   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

You could take High Elves and the Repeater Bolt-Thrower battery. That one can be pretty cheesy. Chaos has little shooting and a few heavily-armored knight units that are just begging for an enfilade.
Old 28 Jun 2005, 21:32   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arguleon-veq
So I seriously hope your not suggesting that Fantasy Chaos are beardy? because the simple fact of the matter is that they aren't, there are far more Fantasy forces that extreme beardy lists can be made out of than Chaos.
*cough*Beastmen*cough*Brayhorns*cough*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 29 Jun 2005, 18:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

I did mention that Beasts of Chaos could be :P.

But on the whole most Chaos armies are far less beardy than many others.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 20:16   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I don't know if I would call them beardy, but with a solid line of warriors, a few knights to take out my tough units, and furies to take out my war machines. I think I can use the fact that they are short of shooting, but he makes up for that in Magic. The only reason I want to build an army to beat him is because he's almost the only opponent I play.

By the way, the High Elf tactic of bolting them to death doesn't work

Who said that cavemen were not intelligent?

www.Ougadougo.com is the best place in the world
Old 29 Jun 2005, 20:28   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod 12
By the way, the High Elf tactic of bolting them to death doesn't work
How does he get around it? I am curious because we have a High Elf player who has proved very difficult to beat when using that army.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 00:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

sort of prohibiting yourself there with old "gotta kill chaos" attitude. Don't get me wrong, it is all fine and good, but you need to play to enjoy, like veq said.

otherwise, well he takes down your cannons with fliers huh? well maybe look at dwarves for their array of cannons, maybe the organ gun for some machine help there? or a rune of immolation? just for a nasty surprise for those fliers.

don't like that idea, then wait a bit and take some of the wood elves, their rules seemed pretty kickass there.

Okay maybe some undead, vamps would be best, even the new carstein list from Summer of chaos should do well?

of course these are all just ideas, you don't need to listen to me.....hell the voices in my head don't listen to me!

just my two cents....
Old 02 Jul 2005, 19:49   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Location: I live in the real world, a place you will never see, since you are stuck in a prison: a prison before your mind, a prison i like to call: The Matrix. You're not missing much.
Send a message via MSN to i dont play 40k

The way I get round it is mainly by putting him under huge pressure with furies, they often feel the need to take a shot at the furies, which often fails. Of course I loose quite a few of them but they are only 15 points per model and once they have destroyed enemy war machines they're served their purpose. Multiple war machines are a bit trickier, especially as furies are a 0-1 unit. I tend to send a group of slow units down one flank and slowly putting pressure on them, preferably a unit of marauders and a unit of knights in front (chosen if possible), both moving at the same speed. Send furies as usual, and manoeuvre all your other units behind cover or into close combat if possible. Do this for all units accept the two going up the flank (who keep going straight) and another fast unit, who should go straight down the middle. Flesh hounds are good for this, as they are magic resistant meaning that they will be taken down by shooters, hopefully the Repeater Bolt Throwers. Whilst they're destroying this unit, all your other units are getting close... and closer.. until suddenly a unit of chosen knights comes flying at you, furies have destroyed at least one of the war machines and there is a strong line of other units following up. Move the marauders roughly across the field to try and attract some more fire (hmm, all those weakly armoured marauders will probably be going through their heads). At this point, the knights will probably be in combat, furies will have destroyed one or even two, so it is unlikely that there will be enough firepower to destroy the marauders. At this point, call in the rest of your units to annihilate whatever is left.

One problem is that the close combat units will often be protective of their war machines. This is a pain when it comes to furies, who are easily destroyed against a unit of equal points. One solution is to use magic to pin down the units. Another way is to have a stronger flank attack moving at full speed and try to break through their lines, probably taking down one bolt thrower. This threatening move will turn all their fire around and completely mucking up their formations, meaning some nice rear and flank charges. The problem with that is that the flank units won't last that long once they move to the centre.

Sorry if that was a bit vague, but I can't exactly describe exact circumstances or the layout of scenery. Hope this helps all chaos players out there. Keep crushing those elves :P.
Closed Thread