Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Suddenly I am a collector of trash!!
Old 26 Aug 2009, 15:55   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via Yahoo to Ihaveitall
Default Suddenly I am a collector of trash!!

Here I am sitting a work when one of my co-workers opens a box of fresh office supplies and goes to throughout the box and I yell “wait I can use that!” and with a surprised confused look he hands me the plastic packaging in a odd shape that could easily be made in to a perfecto altar of korn in my mind for Warhammer or Warhamemr 40k. Now if you were to go in my game room /attic you would see about a dozen of odds and ends of pieces of Styrofoam, cardboard tubing from varies types of dispensers, and odd shaped plastic packaging. All of which any normal person would see as trash but to a gamer it is a whole world to be modeled in to a functional pieces of terrain. This game can be so obsessive that you look at almost anything and start thinking of how can I convert that. I have about twenty buildings made out of Popsicle sticks, craft sticks, and card board for mordienhime, which makes for a great game but makes my attic look like a war zone. One of the biggest projects was an orc fortress I built once for the old siege rules that took up half the table to deploy and was made up of just about anything you can think of. It was the pride of the gaming group and I donated to the group when I had to move away. Any how the purpose of this article is to hear new ideals form other people, were they found something and turned into something cool for their table. So give it up guys let’s hear it all
Ihaveitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2009, 16:10   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: Suddenly I am a collector of trash!!

As a gamer which has seen your "attic" I can honestly say im very surprised when I don't find you looking through your trash for something that we can use for terrain models. From plaster stone citidels and towers to cardboard cut-outs for a circus tent. One of these days i expect to find you transformed a beer bottle into a castle tower or some other random item into something thats actually usefull once its disenfected, lol.
ocehtamote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2009, 16:54   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The biggest thing I created was a castle out of cerealboxes coated in plaster with towers of cans with posicle sticks to make it a bit woody. It looked nice, but it got destroyed by the edge of time and many battles. I also made a lone tower on a hill by some kind of sloped box, throw some static gras on it and a plastic cilinder with again, posiclesticks and voila! A tower on a hill.

Also a brigde entirely out of posicle sticks (yes, I had a great supply of them xD).

I share your hobbyist's eye. Basically everything I see I think how I can convert it into terrain or something cool on my models
Dark_Wolfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2009, 16:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Wolfen
Also a brigde entirely out of posicle sticks (yes, I had a great supply of them xD).
Heh, I made a seige tower out of popsicle sticks and cardboard. Came out pretty nice too :P But really, don't feel bad about it, ever real warhammer collecter does it.
deraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2009, 17:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Now if you were to go in my game room /attic you would see about a dozen of odds and ends of pieces of Styrofoam, cardboard tubing from varies types of dispensers, and odd shaped plastic packaging. All of which any normal person would see as trash but to a gamer it is a whole world to be modeled in to a functional pieces of terrain.

+++++++++

we see the 'trash world' with the same eyes, but unfortunately my wife doesn't ;D
so if 'my collection' was unattended for long (like i was out of the country), then rest assured, it won't be there next time.

my wife let's me keep only styros (and only very few of them), others are 'accidently' thrown away.

currently I'm recreating the 'starship trooper' mini fortress for my large diorama (IG + some SM vs Nids) with some hoarded styros.
omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2009, 20:44   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

my wife let's me keep only styros (and only very few of them), others are 'accidently' thrown away.
==============

yikes... YOU CANT LET HER CLEAN IN YOUR MAN CAVE!!!!...lol wife restrictions suck!!! if only we can all meet our dream girls of a modle who loves to paint and play right...lol well i got rid of my wife and now im loving the game even more... noooo restrictions.... well i do have to settle for hugginh my dog... but he dosent nag so its cool...lol

now popscle sticks are the mandatory iteam in all gamers arsenal
Old 26 Aug 2009, 20:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Warhammer = Green We're doing our part and it's not at all selfish because we just want to make scenery... aherm

hehe it's amazing the looks I get from people when I say... NOOOOOO DONT BIN THAT! lol
My local curry house sends out their take aways in plastic tubs that are just PERFECT for bunkers. I have about 6 of them for an entire bunker complex I'm working on. I get prescribed vitamin supplement drinks too, they come in plastic bottles which are perfect for industrial complexes and silos.
My dad made a roman fort out of corks from wine bottles. Look's really cool, he has obviously sculpted the corks to make it look realistic as opposed to a 'castle made from corks'.
I love this aspect of the hobby.. it's the free part lol.
There is a guy called Bulldog on The Painted Dragon forums, he has made a TITAN from random stuff. (couldnt find the link for the thread, but its on there somewhere)

Commission?! PM me to discuss a price. Based in the UK.
[img width=650 height=74]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff127/glam_andy/Anubis.jpg[/img]

Fat bottomed girls make the rockin' world go round!
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2009, 09:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Bulldog is God!

Seriously I love to keep stuff like that, my imagination runs riot, unfortunately I tend to run out of storage space before I can do anything with it so a lot of it ends up going in the bin anyway. Sigh!

Extartius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2009, 15:39   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

one of the coolest things ive recently done in terrain is plaster molds, i dont have the link at work but it comes in rubber molds and you poor plaster in to it and i comes out in castle like blocks then just glue them to gather and presto instant tower, wall or ruin, ive done three peices so far and they look awsome
Old 27 Aug 2009, 15:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihaveitall
==============

yikes... YOU CANT LET HER CLEAN IN YOUR MAN CAVE!!!!...lol wife restrictions suck!!! if only we can all meet our dream girls of a modle who loves to paint and play right...
++++++++
She paints my figs almost better than me.
And she let me have my own MAN CAVE, now known as DJ's Hobby shop, away from them all, with all the comfort and facilities I wanted ... all funded by her (well she holds our funds). hahahaha

++++++++

Near completed my fortress project.
omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote