Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

help for a friend........
Old 06 Aug 2009, 19:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default help for a friend........

hi guys and gals,

my friend is need of help for starting deamons. any advice for him? he is unsure about which god to focus on but is considering a mix. his main oppoments are dwarfs, vampires and ogres. another issue is money so how he go around collecting these little besties.

thanks

blue and co.

two of the best film quotes EVER:

One crow, sorrow. Two crows, joy. Three crows, a letter! Four crows, a boy. Five crows, silver. Six crows, gold! Seven crows, a secret never to be told.

Congratulations, Monkey! You just bought yourself a fighting chance!
jacktheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Aug 2009, 20:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: help for a friend........

Well if money is an issue then Khorne and Slaneesh come to mind as they are the only Gods with plastic core units (10 models for 12 but metal are 5 models for 12)
What does your friend currently play? What type (combat, magic or shooting) does he prefer? Does he prefer resiliece, strength or attacks?
jimmy_mymail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2009, 02:50   #3 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Khorne Daemons; one of the best for CC. If you need Line-Breakers/Shock-Troops, they're the guys you want. Their higher [than usual] WS and Strength will allow them to cut through most units.

Nurgle Daemon; the more resilient Daemons of the all 4 factions. They're pretty much and literally the 'Meatshields'. Despite being slightly weaker than their Khorne counterparts, their combat prowess is still above average and it's good enough since they're tougher to kill off.

Tzeentch Daemons; your essential magic offense/defense that you're going to need in Fantasy. By far the worse for close combat (which is the main point of Fantasy) but their arcane prowess allows you to dominate the battlefield in terms of magic.

Slaanesh Daemons; the most agile and quickest of all the daemons. Though they don't have the punch of a Khorne Daemon, they're able to bring down their foe through their high number of attacks as well as their ASF.

Overall, I think Khorne + Tzeentch combo will give you the best of CC and Magic. At 2000-Points, your Lords will be a Bloodthirster so he can bring down most of the other Lords. Heroes should be Herald of Khorne [upgraded to BSB] and 2 Herald of Tzeentch. Keep your Heralds near to their respective Core units [Heral of Khorne should stick close to your Bloodletters to maximize their fighting potential] Your Core units should make up of 2 units of Bloodletters and 1 unit of Horrors. Then you should get some Bloodcrushers and Flamers of Tzeentch with whatever points you have left. Also note that you may need to bolster your unit size above average as our Unbreakable/Instability Test will whittle down your units along with your opponent killing them.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2009, 09:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

A Note on Bloodthirster: don't take them in fantasy as they wont pay themselves off (2 or three cannon balls will kill a bloodthirster along with quite a lot of other army lord choices) If you want a greater daemon that's worth the points then either get unclean one for lasting semi-powerful magic, lord of change for a very powerful burst of magic but it, again, isn't brilliant at surviving., or a keeper of secrets as they strike first with I10 (only Tyrion could possibly strike before it) with quite a few highish strength attacks which are armour piercing (totalling -4 modifier)

My basic list would be along the lines of:

-I never use GD's for some reason and i don't like princes-
Skulltaker- Jugger- 200
[size=1]This guy is the shock trooper who is designed to wipe out enemy carachters or monstrous beasts as his killing blow effects any unit strength and he has a 0+/5+ save [color=red]I must point out that this guy requires conversion work!
Herald Of Khorne- Khorne Armour, Firestorm Blade- 140
[size=1]This herald will join one of the lesser daemon units as he allows bloodletter in his unit to re-roll hits in the 1st round of CC, he also has a brilliant 3 S6 WS7 attacks! along with a good 3+/5+ save.
Herald of Tzeentch- Power Vortex- 145
[size=1]The Tzeentch Heralds will both join the Tzeentch Horrors as it gives a +1 to their ward save . The power vortex gives a few extra power dice and the Herald has a couple of its own basic dice to ply around with in the magic phase
Herald of Tzeentch- Power Vortex- 145
[size=1](same as other Herald)
20 Bloodletters- Command Group- 270
[size=1]This is one of the steam roller units that advance through the centre of the board
20 Bloodletters- Command Group- 270
[size=1](see above)
40 Horrors- Standard Bearer- 492
[size=1]This unit will be a lv4 wizard until 5 men are lost and will be a lv3 for a while after and so is a fairly reliable wizarding unit.
3 Bloodcrushers- Standard Bearer- 230
[size=1]This is a pretty tough unit and can moe trough the enemy, this unit flanks and tries to charge where it'll hurt the enemy most.
3 Flamers--115
[size=1]These are slightly odd in some respects as they only have their 5+ ward save but that's not much of a problem as they're skirmishers with D6 S4 flaming shots each at BS4 with no penalties for multiple shots

About 2000 points (i think it's 1997 but i can't remember)

If you would prefer your firend could play any mix of gods unless he likes fluffy armies, in which case it's pretty much having to mono god but the following combos are OK:
Khorne+Tzeentch
Slaneesh+Nurgle

Hope I've been of Help ,
Sorck
Old 17 Aug 2009, 09:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

hey guys and gals,
sorry for the long silence, i have been moving house and only got a connection today. so my friend says thank you for all the replies. he plays orks and gobbos at the moment, 1 black ork gib boss, 1 night gobbo big boss, 1 night gobbo shaman, 19 boys, 40 night gobbos with whirlwinds of death, 10 spider riders, 20 night gobbo archers and 1 giant. so a foot slogger army really.

so far he has bought the army book and a regiment of deamonettes for the time being.

the main reason why he's short on money is that he has chosen the most expensive coarse for college; catering. yea its over 1500 for his first year alone......yea ouch.

right i shall be seeing you

two of the best film quotes EVER:

One crow, sorrow. Two crows, joy. Three crows, a letter! Four crows, a boy. Five crows, silver. Six crows, gold! Seven crows, a secret never to be told.

Congratulations, Monkey! You just bought yourself a fighting chance!
jacktheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2009, 09:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, since money looks like it's a major probkem then he could simply do something ;ike the above list but replace the tzeentch heralds and horrors with a Lord Of Change (Still good with magic) and some more bloodletters

Sorck