Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Looking to start fantasy.
Old 05 Jun 2009, 12:18   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to IntCorps
Default Looking to start fantasy.

Yo, I'm looking to start fantasy, been using tyrands in 40k. But I can't decide between skaven, lizards, vamps or warriors of chaos.
Like fast moving armies, stealth and a fun army to play with. My mate is starting dwarfs as well so, hopefully an army that will provide a good game against dwarfs, preferably roughly even.
Thanks in advance, and I have the book for all apart from the new lizards.
Old 05 Jun 2009, 12:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Looking to start fantasy.

dark elves ftw

Commission?! PM me to discuss a price. Based in the UK.
[img width=650 height=74]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff127/glam_andy/Anubis.jpg[/img]

Fat bottomed girls make the rockin' world go round!
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2009, 15:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well I find skaven to be quite a fun army, they're a bit like 40k orks in that they are a horde list with lots of fun, unreliable, powerful weapons
If you don't want to start another horde army then I'm not sure about the other 2 although I really don't like the saurus models so I personally would never go for lizardmen
It all really depends on what sort of things you want;
Giving skaven as the example, they have lots of cheap troops with several fun missile weapons which are powerful yet unreliable, they have some powerful magic yet they don't really have a proper core shooty unit (the poisoned wind globadiers are good but quite expensive) and there is no skaven cavalry whatsoever

If background is you're thing, skaven are the evil race which has an empire spreading beneath all others and if you want to mix background into your army, you can dedicate your force to one of the 4 major clans

You say you like fast, stealthy armies, I can think of nothing better than Clan Eshin. You want fun, mix in a few Clan Skryre weapons and blast half of the enemies army to pieces whilst your weapons will only take a small toll on your own troops
Old 21 Jun 2009, 05:07   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

If you just look at how each army plays against dwarfs really they all can do pretty well. Given that you have the right kind of list and enough experience to use it.

Quote:
Giving skaven as the example, they have lots of cheap troops with several fun missile weapons which are powerful yet unreliable, they have some powerful magic yet they don't really have a proper core shooty unit (the poisoned wind globadiers are good but quite expensive) and there is no skaven cavalry whatsoever

If background is you're thing, skaven are the evil race which has an empire spreading beneath all others and if you want to mix background into your army, you can dedicate your force to one of the 4 major clans

You say you like fast, stealthy armies, I can think of nothing better than Clan Eshin. You want fun, mix in a few Clan Skryre weapons and blast half of the enemies army to pieces whilst your weapons will only take a small toll on your own troops
Really Cammerz covers most of the Skaven perspective. Skaven have the 4 clans that give you a lot of diversity in units. However when choosing only one clan you can get stuck in some situation by sticking to only one clan.

Now you did say that you wanted to play a fast moving, stealth, and fun. Well you can get all of those from Lizardmen also. Skinks are very versatile and you could practically have a full army of them. You also have several other unique units to choose from that are fun to use, but not really fast of stealthy. Namely Kroxigors, now those guys are a blast to field. Basically you can get a few of them and then they just marauder around the field. They're hard to kill and can kill just about anything in there way.

Now I haven't studied or played Vamps or Warriors so I really can't speak for them. Anyways, hope I was helpful. Good luck choosing.

http://ouroborouss.mybrute.com
"Well that's just maddeningly unhelpful." -Jack Sparrow
Chaos_Peebsius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2009, 22:15   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

As said before, every army, if fielded well, can take any other army. However, looking at dwarfs, know one thing: They are heavily armored, and sit in blocks.

Therefore, you may want an army that has both fast troops (for your style), and that has hard hitting troops (to be able to take out some of those heavier foes).

Yet again, this CAN be any army. Vamps can take godly lords that could do anything, but their troops are weak, and probably would not hold up against dwarves. Also, there is less speed with VC due to it's hoardy zombie nature, but they can have Dire wolves and flying things, which are fast.
Skaven are great, they can be fast, they can be hard hitting, they can be a blast to play, but they are weak when whittled down.
Lizards are cool, they can take some very tough and hard hitting units, and skink screens around Kroxigors is devastating. However, their fast units: the skinks, can't do much on their own.
Warriors of Chaos, they can have some of the best armored, fast, hard hitting things in the game: Chaos Knights. Their soldiers are decent, with great CC. They can also have good fast calvary and those knights, so you could have a decently fast and heavy hitting army.

Basically, every army in WFB can be fast and can do it all. Its almost all down to aesthetics. I have played Skaven, and Wood Elves, and almost played WOC, and I have played against Lizards and VC.

In Warhammer FB, you need to decide if you want shooting abilities, or CC abilities, or magic.

Lizards have almost no good shooting, but the best magic users in the game, and very decent CC, actually, pretty good CC.
VC have decent assist magic, and godly lords/heroes, not much shooting.
Skaven have the most fun shooting, although unreliable, and can have decent CC through numbers. Their magic is cool, and can work well. They are a very thematic army.
Warriors have almost no shooting as well, but they are tough as hell, and are CC beasts. I don;t know about their magic.

There is so much to consider when choosing an army, you really just have to go with what sounds the coolest for you to field.
Xylophone?
Rigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2009, 22:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Skeith

Vampire Counts

By having a vampire in your Army, you increase the strategy you can use, as every vampire will have different equipment (Near enough). Crypt Ghouls as a Core choice are great IMO, as all their attacks are poisoned to wound on a 4+ regardless of enemy toughness. Zombies are good for keeping your opponents busy for a turn or two. The corpse cart can keep you going near indefinately.
Skeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2009, 21:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Um...buster, that's not how poison works in Fantasy...methinks you've played a bit too much 40k.

I like Empire myself. People view them as either the infantry block army or the artillery army, but I love them for their light cavalry. Pistoliers and outriders en-masse are capable of a lot of beautiful things.