Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting Empire, need some advise.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 19:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Starting Empire, need some advise.

Hey guys.

Three friends and I have decided to start up Warhammer Fantasy, and will be playing a 1000 point campaign with the following limitations:

1 Character
0-2 Special
0-1 Rare
0-1 Warmachine
No Skirmishers

Each player has a capitol and three territories. We each pick one territory from a list, and then role for the other two.

The above limitations can change depending on what territories you have (A village gives you more special, and a town gives you another character.) To get skirmishers you need either moutains or forrests, for example. Since I am playing Empire, I want the option for a massed gunline (I am NOT playing that way, but I'd like the option to have more than one cannon, for example.) So I will be taking a forrest, which lifts the warmachine limitation, and will also let me have skirmishers (Archers)

I will be facing one varient of undead (at least) either TK or vampires. Also facing High Elves, and the third opponent is a wild card as of now.

Kaffl helped me over chat (And I mean, he helped a lot!) and we have my first 700 odd points down.

Warrior Priest with meteoric armor, sword of battle. 130 points
To be put into the unit of 24 swordsmen and to use prayers when needed. Will call challenges as well.

24 swordsmen, standard bearer. 154 points
Detachments- 8 Halberdiers - 40 pts
Detachment- 5 archers - 40 pts
First of two blocks. The archers will screen both units from missile fire, and kaffl explained something about wedging charges, but I'll have to talk to him about that later haha.

25 swordsmen, standard bearer, champion 165 pts
Detachments- 8 Halberdiers - 40 pts
Detachment- 5 archers - 40 pts
Second of two blocks. This completes the basic line of battle.

In total, that adds up to 609 points, and gives me a total of 76 models.

Now, Kaffl suggested a steam tank of 300 points. I'd have to drop a trooper or two for it, but it seems like a good choice. However, playing against 3 other new players, I don't know if I feel right using it, so I'm looking for other options.

I could go with a third block of swordsmen with the detachments above, and that will still leave me with 150 odd points for a warmachine and some unit buffing up.

I do want some sort of better ranged power besides the ten measly archers, so I was thinking small units of hand gunners or archers would fill the bill nicely, or a unit of pistoliers.

What do you all think I should do with the last 300 points? Any other advice for a starter? Thanks!
Old 10 Jan 2009, 20:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Starting Empire, need some advise.

While I'm not that familiar with Empire, I can go ahead and tell you that taking a Steam Tank is legal, but I really wouldn't take it. Your friends will be calling Cheese before your even a mile away from the table. Also, I'd go ahead and add musicians to your blocks, as they will really help with rallying. You have a good idea about taking some more range, and should probably pursue it.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 20:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Sounds good. I'm going to add the musicians then, I must ahve forggten about them.

Then a couple units of 10 of either handgunners or archers, and then either a mortar or hellblaster volley gun for some added firepower.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 21:14   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

Handgunners?! Also, what about a hellblaster volley gun or regular cannon? I fear those way more than a steam tank.
deraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2009, 21:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deraj
Handgunners?! Also, what about a hellblaster volley gun or regular cannon? I fear those way more than a steam tank.
Read the other replies, and the bottom of my post :P

I'm going to save the steam tank for games around 2000 points haha, and instead go for a hellblaster volley gun, and 2x10 units of handgunners (which can be swapped out for archers when needed.)

I feel safe against magic, with my 2 normal dispel, and the 1 dispel scroll that my priest gives me, I've covered my close combat needs I think, and all that I need now is some decent ranged aspects, hence the volley gun and the handgunners. Should points provide, I may even go for a unit of ten troops to babysit the warmachine or weigh a flank.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 21:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Wow, how did I miss those? I'll see what I can do, but I have to get my army book quick, so this post is a place holder.

I came up with:

Warrior Priest with meteoric armor, sword of battle- 130 points to go with
25 swordsmen w/ full command-175
-det of 6 handgunners-48
-det of 5 archers-40

25 swordsmen w/ full command with a standard of arcane warding-205
-det of 5 handgunners-40
-det of 5 archers-40

Hellblaster volleygun-110 points

11 pistoliers w/ full command-212 points

1000 points.

Old 10 Jan 2009, 21:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Interesting.

I'm pretty set on my infantry line, though. The archers are stock, but the halberdiers are there for a counter/flank charge to deny enemy their ranks.

Is it worth it to have one unit with a champion, musician, standard bearer and the warrior priest in the front rank?

May keep my infantry blocks and throw in musicians, and 20 handgunners + hellblaster. Pistoliers would be great, but I'd rather have more of an infantry line.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 22:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

At the least I would keep standards and musicians.
Old 10 Jan 2009, 22:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Oh yes, standards are already in there, and I am adding in musicians for the rallying. Should be two pretty tough units >
Old 11 Jan 2009, 13:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I suggest Handgunners over Archers in anything but a screening role. It's much easier to wound your target, and it will seriously mess with their armour saves, whereas Bows normally aren't very good unless you're Wood Elves. Also, your 3 dispel dice probably won't be enough against the two players you've mentioned - Undead and High Elves. They're both magic-heavy armies (Undead armies literally have to take magic by the rules - Tomb Kings must take a Hierophant, which is their caster, and Vampire Counts must take a Vampire, whom is their caster). High Elves are just wonderful at magic, and it wouldn't be too farfetched to expect a Dragon Mage even at low point levels, which is just as cheesy as a Steam Tank, trust me. The ability to field a Dragon in under 2,000 points, regardless of what type, is very, very powerful. Especially when it has a decent Mage on top.

I'd personally use some of your points to spring for a level 2 battle wizard, maybe with a scroll. Empire actually have pretty decent magic, and a lot of magical flexibility in that they can choose any rulebook lore. Also, magic is one of the coolest things about playing Fantasy, and not using it is just a waste. If you decide you don't like it, then so be it, I just think that you probably will.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote