Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

"Celt-orc" list 1000 points
Old 07 Jan 2009, 15:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default "Celt-orc" list 1000 points

In this thread, I proposed using / converting my Dark Age Irish-Celtic army as WFB Orcs. After consulting with some players at my local store, I decided that the best way to represent a mounted King was with a Goblin Boss on Chariot (for speed). The overall theme of this list is to combine fast units with a few hard hitters. My BSB & Shaman will join my Ruadan unit. The other will be used as a shield. My Chariots will run interference on the other flank.

Thoughts?

Aire Brandubh N'Eiru - 116 points
Goblin Big Boss with Wolf Chariot, Light Armor, Spear, Shield, Sword of Battle.

Champion Erc - 127 points
Savage Orc Big Boss with Light Armor, Battle Standard, War Banner.

Druid Mana'Nu'an - 135 points
Savage Orc Shaman with Level 2 Wizard, Staff of Sorcery.

Amergin's Tribe - 165 points
15 Savage Orc Boys with Spears & Shields. Savage Orc Boss.

Ruadan's Tribe - 210 points
18 Savage Orc Boys with Spears & Shields. Savage Orc Boss, Musician, Standard.

2 Chariots - 66 / 132 points
Wolf Chariot with extra Goblin and extra Wolf.

Dord Fian - 80 points
Goblin Doom Diver

965 points
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2009, 15:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Grunt90 Send a message via MSN to Grunt90 Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt90
Default Re: "Celt-orc" list 1000 points

What I would do for this list is use the last 35 points to pump up your characters. You should take off the staff of sorcerey on the shaman, and throw on two dispel scrolls, giving you 15 points to play with. then you should add an enchanted shield for the goblin big boss. he will have a 2+ save, as he would get a 5+ for being mounted in a chariot, 4+ for LA, and then adding two more points for a 2+ save. also i'm almost 100% sure if you give your goblin boss the sword of battle, he cant have the spear.Also I would change out the sword of battle for martogs best basha. Could be handy in small points games like 1k. and then with that change, you will exactly have 1k points!

Oh and tactics wise, dont run your shaman with the unit, if the unit gets in CC he's pretty much useless, and then 2/3's of your characters could potentially die. Highly likely when you get charged by heavy cavalry.

Oh another thing, I would give your savage orcs choppas & shields, as on the first turn of the combat they're in they get +1 str. and since you will be moving them up the spears wont fight in two ranks anyways, and there save will be 5+ instead of six plus since they'll have CCW & shield

"Horn and hoof, power is there. Not feeble smoothskin, clumsy greenskin, wicked elf-swine. Gor is strong, Gor is true. Gor shall kill all, slay all for the gods!"

Beastlord Gorthor

Survivor of the 06' Battle Royale!
Grunt90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2009, 20:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Grunt, thank you very much. That's some great insight. I've never actually played WFB so most of my knowledge of the rules come from WAB which are a bit dated at this point. I'll revise and re-post tonight.

Thanks,
Aureus
Old 07 Jan 2009, 23:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Grunt90 Send a message via MSN to Grunt90 Send a message via Yahoo to Grunt90

No problem!

I hope you do well when you play your first game and I'll make sure to take a look at your list when you repost it.

"Horn and hoof, power is there. Not feeble smoothskin, clumsy greenskin, wicked elf-swine. Gor is strong, Gor is true. Gor shall kill all, slay all for the gods!"

Beastlord Gorthor

Old 11 Jan 2009, 20:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Sorry it took so long to reply. I meant to the night that forum maintenance crashed the site for 12 hours. : I have about 35 nice models from Foundry & Black Tree Designs that I intended to use as my core force. But I also have about 250 Old Glory Celts / Irish that are not as nice and are a little smaller. I thought these would make decent Goblins. So, for the first 1,000 points, I'm thinking of the following:

Aire Brandubh N'Eiru - 112 points
Goblin Big Boss with Wolf Chariot, Light Armor, Shield, Martog's Best Basha.

Champion Erc - 127 points
Savage Orc Big Boss with Light Armor, Battle Standard, War Banner.

Druid Mana'Nu'an - 120 points
Savage Orc Shaman with 2 Dispel Scrolls.

Amergin's Tribe - 175 points
16 Savage Orc Boys with Spears & Shields. Savage Orc Boss.

Ruadan's Tribe - 200 points
17 Savage Orc Boys with Spears & Shields. Savage Orc Boss, Musician, Standard.

Ceithernn - 65 points
15 Goblins with Spears, Light Armor, and Shields. Goblin Boss, Musician, Standard.

2 Chariots - 60 / 120 points
Wolf Chariot.

Dord Fian - 80 points
Goblin Doom Diver

999 points

Thoughts?

I really like the idea of choppas, but as my troops are actually not true Orks, +1S on the charge might be a little disproportionate. So I'll stick with the spears for fluff reasons.

To take the list to 2,000 points, I'm thinking of loading up on Goblins...probably 4 units of 30 and rolling my Savage Orcs into one solid unit of 35 (ranked 3 deep & 12 wide) or is that too extreme? I would probably add a few units of 5 Goblin Wolf Riders.
Old 12 Jan 2009, 03:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well your goblin big boss is actually 114 points, but your still at 1001 so that fine still.

Well you cant have 15 unit count of goblins, you need minimum of 20 and goblins alone aren't really good at all in CC. What I would do is take your 65 points, and take 20 night goblins with bows and a musician for 64 points, and then you'll be back at 1000 points. I have a feeling this isn't one of the best things to do but I can't really think of anything else for 65 points, maybe another chariot?

Beastlord Gorthor