Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vampire Counts-2250 list.
Old 30 Dec 2008, 05:31   #1 (permalink)
Aun
Shas'El

Default Vampire Counts-2250 list.

Heya, this is a list I am thinking about useing, I was just wondering what peoples oppinion on it would be.
Thanks.

Vampire Lord w/ Blood Drinker, Walach's Bloody Hauberk, Talisman of Lycni, Infinite Hatred, Aura of Dark Majesty, Bequile
- 400 points

Vampire w/ Dispel Scroll, Biteing Blade, Nightshroud, Dark Acolyte, Lord of the Dead
- 195 points

Necromancer w/ Staff de Noite, Dispel Scroll, Corpse Cart.
Invecation of Nehek and Raise Dead
- 220 points

Necromancer w/ Book of Arkhan
Invecation of Nehek, Vanhel's Dance Macabre
- 105 points

20 Skeletons, Full Comand, spears
- 200 points

20 Skeletons, Full Comand, spears
- 200 points

26 Zombies, Banner
- 112 points

26 Zombies, Banner
- 112 points

10 Dire Wolves
- 80 points

10 Dire Wolves
- 80 Points

10 Grave Guard, Full Comand, Banner of the Barrows
- 195 points

10 Grave Guard, Full Command, Great Weapons, Royal Standard of Strigos
- 193 points

10 Grave Guard, Full Command, Great Weapons
- 158 points

= 2250
Old 01 Jan 2009, 03:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Vampire Counts-2250 list.

I don't know what I can say. I don't like it much. I mean, it's not magicky, it's not fighty (what VC list is?), and to be honest, I doubt it would stand up in most games. You're trying to do too much with the army (by too much, I mean, more than 1 thing).

Let me put it in perspective. You have 8 power dice. Most players nowadays will have around 5-6 dispel dice, and some scrolls. That means, on more turns than not, you aren't getting any spells off. At least not any that matter. On top of that, you're kitting out models in such a way that it seems you're under the delusion that your units are going to kill things. Nothing in a VC army that does not have the Vampire rule, short of the Black Coach, is really going to kill anything. In my own army, the bare minimum number of Power Dice I would ever run is 12. To me, 12 Power Dice is not magic-heavy, because Vampire Counts depend on their magic more than any other army in the game. I always run between 14 and 17. That means I usually get 5 or 6 spells off per turn.

Now, a few suggestions I'd make... Drop the Necromancers, replace them with Vampires. Necromancers are pretty much useless in the current VC rules - they can only generate 1 power die. The VC are all about volume of dice, due to the Necromancy rules. Next up, your Vampires. Hero level vampires who are given a magic upgrade should be given Master of the Black Arts. Knowing more spells is worthless to them because there are only 3 they will ever use, one of which they know innately and one of which is the first spell on the list. With the Book of Arkhan, You've usually got enough coverage for the last spell. Also, your lord is a level 2. That is such a phenomenal waste as to make me weep. Also, he's got Talisman of Lycni - if your lord, the lynchpin to your whole army, goes charging out by himself, that's asking for crumble tests. All it takes is for him to fluff his attacks and then - death by CR.

I'm not saying you have to take my advice. You probably don't want my advice. If your VC work well for you this way, fine, I can only share my own experience. However, I can tell you that list would never, ever work for me.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jan 2009, 04:07   #3 (permalink)
Aun
Shas'El

Default Re: Vampire Counts-2250 list.

Your bring up some good points.

Quote:
Also, he's got Talisman of Lycni - if your lord, the lynchpin to your whole army, goes charging out by himself, that's asking for crumble tests. All it takes is for him to fluff his attacks and then - death by CR.
That item was actually a typo, he has the Black Periapt.

One thing I should say is that the people in my area don't really play magic heavy, at all. Mostly I face Dwarfs and Empire with the occasional Dark Elf (and their not about BLOCKING power dice, their about casting as much pain as they can) I do face some other armies occasionally like Ogre Kingdoms and Orcs, but none of the armies I play against other than Dwarfs focus on magical deffence.

Quote:
Drop the Necromancers, replace them with Vampires.
This thought had honestly never occurred to me. Now that you say it it seems painfully obvious... I simply had never considered it.

here is the new list.

Vampire Lord w/ Blood Drinker, Walach's Bloody Hauberk, Black Periapt, Infinite Hatred, Aura of Dark Majesty, Beguile, +1 Magic Level
- 455 points

Vampire w/ Dispel Scroll, Flayed Hauberk, Dark Acolyte, Lord of the Dead
- 195 points

Necromancer w/ Staff de Noite, Dispel Scroll, Corpse Cart.
Invocation of Nehek and Raise Dead
- 220 points

Vampire w/ Book of Arkhan, Cadaverous Curas, Master of the Black Arts on a Nightmare
- 208 points

20 Skeletons, Full Comand
- 180 points

20 Skeletons, Full Comand
- 180 points

24 Zombies, Banner
- 104 points

10 Crypt Ghouls
- 80 points

20 Grave Guard, Full Comand, Banner of the Barrows
- 315 points

20 Grave Guard, Full Command, Great Weapons, Royal Standard of Strigos
- 313 points

= 2250

With this new list I have 13 power dice, which considering the people I normally play is fairly magic heavy.
Thanks for the help.