Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

First High Elf army
Old 18 Dec 2008, 01:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default First High Elf army

I am just starting High Elves and I wanted to ask if my list is any good.

High Elves-1,000 points

Mage
-Level 2 Wizard
-Dragonscale Shield

15 Spearman
-Full Command

20 Archers
-Hawkeye

5 Sword Masters of Hoeth
-Full Command

10 White Lions

5 Silver Helms

Repeater Bolt Thrower
wesswll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2008, 08:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to pettsy
Default Re: First High Elf army

Hey Wesswll,

Welcome to the wonderful High Elves.

First off a High Elf Mage canít take a piece of Magical Armour as they donít have access to normal armour. Personally I would take the Ring of Fury instead. This item allows you to cast Fury of Khaine which is probably the nastiest spell in the High Magic lore, everytime I use a mage this is the spell I hope to get (also if you are lucky enough to roll the spell you can cast it twice in one magic phase which can seriously hurt any enemy unit).

Spearmen are fine. Though an extra 5 would be good.

Archers split them into two units of 10 and drop the Hawkeye. Waste of points, all they have over a normal archer is the extra 1 BS.

Swordmasters unit is too small. These are one of the nastiest units available to a High Elf army so your opponents will be trying to destroy these as quickly as possible. Personally I would drop the White Lions for another 10 Swordmasters.

Silver Helms. Fine. Most people prefer Dragon Princes but these make a fine flanking unit that opponents need to keep their eyes on. Piece of advice though: Donít charge them into a large unit by themselves, they will just bounce right off.

Bolt Thrower. Fine.

Hopefully this has been of some help to you. If you want to ask any questions then please do.

~Pettsy~

"It matters not what form my enemy takes, I will slay him all the same" - Grand Master Daedelus

We are ever-living, our spirit is immortal, and long after the last of our people crumbles to dust we shall still live on. For we are the Asur and for as long as there is light then we will shine!
pettsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2008, 23:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I just had the White Lions to take out anything nasty. Armed with Strength 6 and -2 to hit modifiers, I was going to use these as anti-monster troops
wesswll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2008, 08:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to pettsy

Hey,

Between your Mage, Bolt Thrower and Swordmasters you should be able to deal with any large monsters that appear on the table (and at this points level you shouldnít be seeing too many).

Unfortunately in your list the Swordmasters are going to struggle to do anything. They donít have the numbers to do much damage and they will be destroyed without much effort.

The only time I will use a unit of White Lions is if I take a large unit of them and use them as a tarpit to slow my opponent down allowing me to hit them in a flank with another infantry unit or some Dragon Princes.

Personally my favourite of the three High Elven elite infantry are the Phoenix Guard. They donít have the high damage output of the Swordmasters or the Stubbornness of the White Lions but they are the most resilient troops available to you with their decent wardsave. Also the chance your opponent will fail his fear test if he attempts to charge allows you to set-up a really nasty combi-charge (remember if you win a combat and outnumber him with fear causing troops you will automatically cause him to break).

The most important thing to remember is that you shouldnít purely choose units because of their stats or abilities. You should choose them because you like the models. If you like the White Lions models (me personally I hate them ) then take them.

~Pettsy~

"It matters not what form my enemy takes, I will slay him all the same" - Grand Master Daedelus

We are ever-living, our spirit is immortal, and long after the last of our people crumbles to dust we shall still live on. For we are the Asur and for as long as there is light then we will shine!
pettsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2008, 20:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

White lions and sword masters are both awesome units. I have a friend that plays high elves and he has a unit of each both at 15 models. They can really both really decimate a unit. In your case though because the unit of sword masters is tiny they are vulnerable. They only have 2 lose two models to take a panic test from any ranged and giving them a full command with only 5 models is a serious waste. When they are beaten and run down(which will probably happen) the enemy will capture that banner and give them even more VP. Your best bet would to drop on of the units to buff up the other and make it more of a threat.

Spliting the archers into 2 units of 10 is a very good idea. Generally a unit champion in a unit of archers is over rated. It won't make a big difference. You would be better of droping it and adding another model some where (not sure of the champion cost but another white lion or sword master if you can would be worth more)
space wolf bob is offline   Reply With Quote