-flails
-full command

Marauders on Horseback x10
-flails
-full command
Old 07 Dec 2008, 18:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Warriors of Chaos 2k

Hm, this is a really solid list. Similair to what I would run, but let me offer a few suggestions:

1) The Lord is great, very similair to what I run. And while the Runesword is very powerful, think about it's necessity... do you really need the extra weaponskill or attack? Not necessarily, the strength is the most important part. Get a sword of might, and with the leftover points get the collar of khorne. This gives you a 5+ ward save (with the MoT) which doubles your chances of survival, add that on top of your 0+ armor save and 4+ regeneration save and this guy is a tank.

2) The sorcerers, well, I feel they're too weak. You seem to be focusing too much on defensive magic, forgetting the fact that Chaos has some awesome offensive magic as well. Generally I recommend level 2 wizards, but it's not important here. Spread the Dispel scrolls out, give one to each wizard (so if one dies you are't down both your scrolls) and I would give one a power familiar and the other the Book of Tzeentch (or whatever it's called). Both give you an extra power dice for casting, and the Book lets you choose any one spell from fire, death, and shadow. I'm still not sold on the Black Tongue... I would give at least one (if not both) your wizards MoT. While the Lore of Nurgle can yield better spells in my opinion, Pandamonium really fits the theme of your magic phase. Plus, you get another +1 to your casting roll, which can make these defensive wizards still a force to be reckoned with. Also, a barded steed is a cheap upgrade that greatly increases your speed and survivability, I wouldn't leave home without one.

3) You have a strong core here, but ask yourself if the full command is really necessary. For instance, the champions really aren't worth the extra attack, and I would drop them unless you want to hide your sorcerers in those units (so that the champions can accept challenges to protect the wizards). You might want to consider marking them, MoS is great for resisting enemy fear and terror, while MoT gives you the extra 6+ ward save to back up your survivability. MoN is great for hiding from ranged fire and weakening enemies in close combat. MoK is very powerful, but frenzy can be very exposing.

4) The Knights are solid, I like them. However, what is the purpose of your Marauder horsemen? They're certainly powerful, but not the most durable of units. Usually I try to keep them out of combat, and try to distract and mislead the enemy more. I again think the full command is not necessary, they aren't great for static combat resolution, and the banner is basically handing the enemy victory points once they die (which they will against larger units). The champion doesn't have a real purpose either, the extra attack isn't worth the points.

Overall, this is a great foundation. I would just examine the upgrades on some of your units and see if they're all really worth it, and if you can shave off some points to get a unit or two of Warhounds (brilliant distraction units) in there, the better.