Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Warriors of Chaos Army List - 1500 Points *Revised
Old 06 Dec 2008, 21:09   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Warriors of Chaos Army List - 1500 Points *Revised

Hello, all. I've recently started up Warhammer Fantasy with the new WoC and wanted to get people's thoughts on my first army list.

(216) - Exalted Hero Asator: Barded Steed, MoT, Chaos Runesword, Shield, Bloodcurdling Roar
(226) - Exalted Sorcerer Tim (the Enchanter): Level 2, Power Familiar, Dispel Scroll, MoN, Steed
(30) - 5x Warhounds
(130) - 20x Marauders, MoS, Shields, Light Armor
(268) - 15x Chaos Warriors, MoS, Shields, Banner, Musician
(268) - 15x Chaos Warriors, MoS, Shields, Banner, Musician
(81) - 5x Marauder Horsemen, Musician, Throwing Spears, Shields
(81) - 5x Marauder Horsemen, Musician, Throwing Spears, Shields
(200) - 5x Chaos Knights

+++++++++++++++

Alright, after some revision I've decided that this list definitely needs more active combat resolution. Here's the idea:

(195) - Exalted Hero Asator: Barded Steed, Halberd, Chaos Runeshield, MoK
(226) Tim the Enchanter, Level 2, Power Familiar, Dispel Scroll, MoN, Steed
(30) 5x Warhounds
(30) 5x Warhounds
(220) 12x Chaos Warriors, MoS, Full Command
(220) 12x Chaos Warriors, MoS, Full Command
(81) 5x Marauder Horsemen, Musician, Shields, Throwing Spears
(81) 5x Marauder Horsemen, Musician, Shields, Throwing Spears
(245) 5x Chaos Knights, Banner of Rage, Musician [Do I have to upgrade to a standard bearer first for magic standard? If I do, then replace Banner of Rage with Mark of Khorne]

While the Frenzy can expose my Knights, the extra attacks it gives are just too useful on a big unit of knights. 3 Strength 5 attacks, and then another 2 Strength 4 attacks? That's 5 attacks per model... awesome.

In addition, I have 170 points leftover and was looking at one of these possibilities to add into the list. Thoughts?

(200) 5x Knights (drop unit of Warhounds)
(180) 4x Chaos Trolls (drop Knight Musician)
(180) 10x Forsaken (drop Knight Musician)
(165) 3x Ogres, Chaos Armor, Extra Hand Weapons, Mark (Nurgle or Khorne)
(182) 8x Chosen, Extra Hand Weapon, Mark of Khorne (drop Knight Muscian)

Leaning torwards the Forsaken or Trolls. Ogres could be good too, with 5 attacks each if they get the Mark of Khorne.

Thanks for all the input guys!
Old 06 Dec 2008, 21:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Mana-Valkyrie
Default Re: Warriors of Chaos Army List - 1500 Points

The only question I have with the list is why 2 5 man units of Maurder Horsemen?
Mana-Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2008, 21:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Because I don't intend on having them fight things. Being fast calvary, I want to use them to irritate my enemies. EVerytime someone tries to charge them, they will flee and fall back. Rally (hopefully :P ) and then throw spears. Enemy charges again, flee again. I can keep doing this to harass my enemy and bring his forces into poor positions, while directing foes away from my main infantry phalanx (so they can't flank it either). They're not a very hardy combat unit, so I really wouldn't plan on having them charge anything except for weak missile troops and enemy war machines. The Knights and Warriors are going to be my real damage dealers, the Warhounds and Marauders are there to divert and tie up enemy units.
Old 06 Dec 2008, 22:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Mana-Valkyrie

Thats what i thought you had in mind, but rather ask and be sure than guess, looks good with the solid core of infantry and some fast flankers to draw enemies into your infantry.
Mana-Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Dec 2008, 20:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Anybody have advice on other Marks? I've heard that Mark of Slaanesh is generally the best, but I hate Slaanesh fluffwise... however, I haven't played enough games to really know how valuable it is. Any advice there?
Old 08 Dec 2008, 07:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well, I'd say it would depend on your gaming environment. If you play versus a lot of Ogres, Vampires, and Tomb Kings, then I'd have to say that MoS would be irreplaceable. But with all honesty, making your units virtually immune to psychology for that price cost is a pretty nice deal. I just wished Lords and Exalted Heroes caused fear like the Knights do. *le sigh*
Old 08 Dec 2008, 19:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah, I think I'm gonna wind up sticking with them. Lots of Vampire Count players up in my neck of the woods, so it only makes sense. Think I have enough magical coverage? I've seen two other 1500 point lists (both VC) that had two wizards, I figured my one should be fine.
Old 09 Dec 2008, 03:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If the power familiar in the new army book gives both a power and a dispel dice like it does in the interim PDF from White Dwarf, then yeah, totally. If not, well, you should probably still smash the skeletons to pieces and Marauder Horsemen can hunt down the lone wizards.
Old 10 Dec 2008, 23:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

Feel free to post over on our Fantasy Forum - http://oldworldonline.proboards41.com/index.cgi [Got about 9 Chaos BatReps on there with the new army book if that will help at all]

Mark of Slaanesh is the way to go with your regular units. Cheap and effective against the 2 best armies out there. [Daemons/Vampires].

Not sure on your choice of Marks for the Heros though. Your Sorcerer is already durable with that steed and the nurgle law isn't the best IMO. The Roar also wont do much for your General. Perhaps drop their marks all together? or make the Sorcerer Tzeentch for that vital +1 to cast.

One thing I would really suggest is finding the points to add Halberds to your Warriors. The versatility they provide is invaluable. As you can always still just use your hand weapon and shield if it suits the situation better. You may also be better off with them in units of 12 [2x6] to maximise your attacks. Perhaps try a unit with the Halberds at 12 strong [as you will want the extra frontage with those] and keep 1 unit as is.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 19:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hm... got annihilated last night by a Vampire Count army (sooo good! they never break and just heal whatever I kill!!!)

My main thoughts:

1) I definitely need more active combat resolution. Whilst my warriors are solid at hanging in the fight, unless I get really lucky they aren't good enough to win by themselves most times. I need to buff up the knights (perhaps giving them MoK) to make them more powerful.

2) Well, my sorcerer ran off the board Turn 2 (rolled a 12 for his rally! How is that possible?!?!) and my Lord got torn to shreds by some 9" moving winged S7 vampire. I need to go back over both my heroes, and I definitely want another sorcerer in there. I like a strong magic element in my list.

3) The Halberds look interesting, Veq. I'll look at trying to sneak them into the list. I use 15 Warriors so that I can get a 5x3 formation, I get the extra rank in combat (at least the first turn, if they aren't shot at) and the 5" frontage makes them a little more maneuverable in my opinion.

I think it's a solid foundation, but definitely needs work. I am not impressed with the Marauders, they just aren't very good.... Warriors give me better static resolution than them, combined with durability. The Horsemen and Hounds can cover my flanks, the Marauders just wound up being a big stumbling block that kept getting in my way.

++++++++++++++++++++

NOTE! I posted an additional list up top using some of your input, wanted thoughts. I probably won't get a halberd-armed unit of Warriors until I hit 2250 points (I don't have models for them yet :P By then I should have 2 Knight boxes which give me a couple lances that would make good halberds.)