Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to High Elves!
Old 03 Dec 2008, 19:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default New to High Elves!

For over a year now I've toyed with the idea of starting Warhammer to play with my friends who currently have armies of Dwarfs, Goblins, and Vampire Counts. Nearly every army has appealed to me at some point or another but it's always been a close race between the High Elves and the Brettonians.

Well, I've finally decided on High Elves. I've gotten many tips both online and off regarding both armies and have finally come to this conclusion. I have two reasons for this.

First, the Brettonians started to feel redundant to me. The look of all those noble knights is very cool and no doubt a varied and fun army to paint, giving each knight his own heraldry and colors. Despite this, however, there just don't seem to be many different units, just varying levels of cavalry. Being a player drawn to Tyranid (and using at least one of almost every 'Nid unit in my 1,850 point army), Eldar (Biel-tan, lots of Aspects), and Daemonhunters (Inducted Guard as well as Grey Knights), I've always been fond of a varied army and I just don't feel like Brettonians will give that to me.

Second, Warhammer Online. My main, most loved character is a Shadow Warrior. I've grown so used to the feel of Ulthuan and her lands, and learned much of it's history and enemies through the game. Warhammer Online has, in fact, tempted me to collect all six armies represented in the game, but because I was already eyeing the High Elves my interest in them only multiplied. Not to mention, I could paint and name my Shadow Warrior unit champion after my character, maybe with a little conversion work.

*deep breath*

I can get long-winded ith stuff like that; sorry. :P

To the point, I've been thinking of starting off my army with a Battalion (not a big surprise there), and a plastic noble box to give my contingent a standard bearer and general to lead them into battle. Using the Army Builder program, I've come up with this list. Please keep in mind that's it's only a small 1,000 point starter list, using all-plastic models from the two aformentioned purchases; the army will no doubt include some elite units later on like Shadow Warriors or Swordmasters. Also note that I do not actually have the Army Book yet! :-X

You may also remember that I noted two of my friends collect Vampire Counts and Dwarfs. That will explain my choice of equipment on the characters; the equipment is very open to change as the army grows, of course, and I'll probally try dozens of magical banners and equipment before the army is finished. :P

[hr]

High Elf Noble - 144
General, Elven Steed with Barding, Heavy Armor, Spear, Shield, Cloak of Beards.

High Elf Noble - 141
Battle Standard Bearer, Heavy Armor, Shield, Lion Standard

16 Spearmen - 169
Full Command

16 Archer - 217
Full Command

8 Silver Helms - 224
Full Command, Shields

Repeater Bolt Thrower - 100

Total: 995 points

[hr]

So, what do ya'll think? I appreciate any comments, criticism, and tips for an Elf-in-training.

Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Dec 2008, 23:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: New to High Elves!

you need 5 in a rank to get a bonus so change your spearmen to 14 (making 15 w/ your noble) and 9 silver helms. you need a mage in there, your missing a strong part of the high elf arsenal

Please correct me with my spelling! (I know it's terrible)
gumgum921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Dec 2008, 23:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

This is just using the contents of the Battalion and the Noble/Standard Bearer kits. I'm aware that I could use a Mage; I really like them also! I'll see what I can do with the list should I end up getting a Mage kit as well.
Old 04 Dec 2008, 07:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Along with a mage or two, I would recommend getting another fast moving heavy hitter along side your silver helms. In my experience (that is, in my friends experience being flattened by my lizardmen :P) a single unit of silver helms, as the only fast moving unit, cannot adequately perform all the jobs required of high elf cavalry; defending your flanks from enemy cavalry, outflanking the enemy and chasing off skirmishers and fliers. I would recommend you either get another unit of silver helms or a lion chariot (mostly because it looks freakin awesome!) to support the original unit and perform aditional roles.

(Wow, re reading that it almost sounds like I know what I'm talking about )
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Dec 2008, 14:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

That sounds logical. I'm toying with 1500 and 2000 points lists now in army builder and taking some of this info to heart. My current incarnation of a 1500 point list (which expands upon the1000 list in this post) manages to fit in both a White Lion Chariot and a Mage as well as Shadow Warriors and Swordmaster, but those are for more personal, "wow those guys are cool" reasons. :P
Old 04 Dec 2008, 16:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

If you do take up Fantasy, try out our Fantasy Forums - http://oldworldonline.proboards41.com/index.cgi pretty much TO's Fantasy players.

If you want a Battle Standard with a magic standard, mount him and give him a shield and full barding. He is worth a lot of points so he needs protection. Your noble will be best on foot with a Great Weapon in amongst those Spears. Give him something that gives magic resistance [talisman of fire is it] and then maybe the Talisman of Loec to make him a combat monster.

Silver Helms are one of the worst choices in the book, paint them up in a greenish colour to use them as Dragon Princes. Then just take a unit of 5-6 with Full Command.

Drop the Full Command on your Archers as you will just be giving away points when they capture your banner, drop the unit to an easier to manage 10-12 and just take a Musician. Throw one of those Archers in the back ranks of your Spearmen with two heros to make the unit 4 ranks of 5.

Old 04 Dec 2008, 18:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Thanks for the tips; I wouldn't have known any of that. I'm working on the list now. I'll edit this post with the changes soon.

Are you sure about the Talisma of Loec? It's very neat, but it's only one use and the unsavable wound seems harsh. ???

[hr]

EDIT: Alright, here's what I got. I still have over 100 points to spend on goodies for the characters like a magical standard.

I don't think I'll be keeping the Silver Helms as Dragon Princes permanently; just a counts as thing until I get the proper models. I think the metal Dragon Princes look sweet anyway.

I moved the leftover Archers to the Spearman unit. This is only presuming that the Spearman unit has enough shield and spear bits to make 4 more of them with the bodies from the Archers. If anyone has some experience in the contents of the Spearman box and could answer this then I'd appreciate it.

High Elf Noble - 117
General, Great Weapon, Heavy Armour, Amulet of Fire

High Elf Noble - 132
Battle Standard Bearer, Heavy Armour, Shield, Elven Steed w/ Barding

20 Spearmen - 205
Full Command

12 Archers - 137
Musician

5 Dragon Princes - 200
Full Command

Repeater Bolt Thrower - 100

Total: 891 points

Old 04 Dec 2008, 20:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

That looks pretty solid to me. I have no idea of any of the high elf magic items so I can't offer any advice there, but I'm pretty sure the spearmen set gives you extra spears, but not shields.
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Dec 2008, 23:07   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

The Talisman of Loec is amazing. There is virtually no enemy Hero Level character that can survive you attacking with your Great Weapon [first] when you are using that thing.

Against WS6+;

2.25 Hits;
2.18 Wounds;

Even a 2+ Save will still result in;

1.93 Unsaved Wounds.

Plus, if the enemy gets to strike back at all [which they will if you attack without the Talisman.] most heros will kill your Noble.

You only need 17 Spearmen though if both Heros are going in there. As they will take up 3 spaces [2 for the Horse].

So you have 136 Points to play with. This could get you;

Bolt Thrower + Talisman of Loec [ ] + Lion Standard on your Battle Standard.

Lvl2 Mage.

OR, you could have your Foot Noble with 19 Spears [drop the Champion] and put the Battle Standard with another 13 Spears with a Standard and Musician. If you opt for that, give your Battle Standard the Warbanner instead.
Old 05 Dec 2008, 01:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Huh, I forgot about the striking first part. The Loec thing sounds very good now. :P

I wasn't aware that you could put a mounted character with an unmounted unit. I was intending to hook the mounted Noble with the Dragon Princes.