Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

2000pts Tomb King list
Old 03 Dec 2008, 11:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default 2000pts Tomb King list

i've been playing fantasy for a while (close to a decade) but I'm not realy sure about Tomb Kings since there so different to my other armies, so this is my idea

LORD/HERO

Nomti (tomb king) -309 <-general
chariot
spear
shield
light armour
crown of kings
icon of rulership
chariot of fire

Semni (tomb prince) -194
chariot
spear
light armour
staff of ravening

Kepi (liche priest) -310 <- hierophant
casket of souls
neferra's plaques of mighty incantations

Mui (liche priest) -163
steed
staff of mastery

CORE

3 chariots (I) -195
champion
standard bearer
musician
banner of the undying legion

3 chariots (II) -170
champion
standard bearer
musician

9 heavy horsemen -179
champion
standard bearer
musician

10 skeleton warriors -80

SPECIAL

5 carrion -120

tomb scorpion -85

tomb scorpion -85

RARE

screaming skull catapult -110
skulls of the foe

total-200pts

tactic: -
I plan to have my tomb king in chariot unit I and prince in II, they will flank the unit i plan to charge with my heavy horsemen (containing liche priest) taking advantage of spells and moving like fast cavalry. My carrion and tomb scorpions will be there for war machines, stop marching and assist in charges (tomb scorpions taking on a more aggressive role). the hierophant will be there to get the catapult to fire lots (as i plan to put them near each other) whilst the skelies form a line in front of the two and rain arrows. i'm woried i won't pull of my incantations when i really need them, hence the staff for an extra bound item.

i haven't used tomb kings before so advice will be much appreciated ^_^

Please correct me with my spelling! (I know it's terrible)
gumgum921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Dec 2008, 20:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: 2000pts Tomb King list

I think you need more static combat resolution. Just 2 big blocks of skeletons are life savers sometimes as they are very easy to raise back up and my friend as used thme to hold units there for the entire game before.

I really am not convinced that tomb scorpions are very useful. When ever my friend used them against me (plaing as old Dark elves) or his brother (playing as High Elves and Vampire Counts) they seemed not to do much. They would usually fail miserably if they used their tunnel ability or what ever it is. Static combat resolution was enough to hurt them or kill them off. Two working together might do better but then you are depending on lucky dice rolls.

I would recommend a bone giant. If you get the charge of with on of these monsters they are quite capable of just destroying a unit. I have had 20 black guard killed in 1 turn of combat. Granted that was some really silly good luck involved cause it doesn't have the best WS but it can lay down alot of hurt.

You might be better off droping the heavy calvary for more chariots. TK Chariots are just so much more deadly then the calvary. I have come to loathe impact hits.

I'm not sure about the items you have just because well I'm not sure how truly effective they will be. I would say that the heretic jar can be a truly game breaking item. There have been times when I have thought I stoped his last chance to get a charge off with a unit of chariots or something else only to have him say "oh yea time to use my heretic jar" which is often followed by the sound of me hitting my head off of the table/wall. Of all the magic items I really would consider this a must have.

space wolf bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Dec 2008, 01:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The biggest problem that I see with the list is the Magic Items selection:

The prince can't have the Staff of Ravening as it's an Arcane Item.

The items on your priests are only so-so. I'd never consider taking them if you only have two priests, as there's much better items to get first. The foremost among them is the Staff of Ravening and the Hieratic Jar.

I don't really see the point of the Icon of Rulership, unless you want the King alone to be able to negate ranks. Since he's with a unit I would definitely drop this. The Crown of Kings is also very expensive for what it does. I'd look to get some offensive items of these two like the Flail (a very good choice- always challenge, even if you just stomp on a champion, you can rake in the overkill points) or the Spear of Antarhak in the unit that doesn't have the banner of the undying legion. For defense looking into the Collar of Shapesh for a cheap 4+ ghetto ward, or the Armor of the Ages.

Scorpions are killer if they're used right. Do not be disappointed if they die, though. They are great when used to kill war machine crews and assassinate characters (especially wizards). After they kill a wizard they will probably die, but that's a great trade.

I'm not sure if the full command on the chariot units is worth it. I'd probably only take the SB with a magic banner in each. Icon of the Sacred Eye can be awesome on the King's unit. Give him the Spear to keep the unit healed, and he'll get 4 S6 attacks that hit on 2's probably wounds on 2's and heals a wound for each inflicted. Put the prince with the unit with the Banner of the Undying Legion with the Flail. That's my opinion, for what it's worth.
Darth_Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Dec 2008, 12:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

thanks for the help ^_^
i'll play around with the items and put the modified list up asap

Old 07 Dec 2008, 15:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

here's the new list, same general tactic. i played with the idea of removing some of the chariot command group for more skeletons but the slow speed makes me think they won't get into combat quick enough to assist the other units (but i'm going to try a game with full chariot and skelies and see what works). any way, new list;

LORD/HERO

Nomti (tomb king) -316 <-general
chariot -45
shield -3
light armour -3
flail of skulls -45
collar of shapesh -25
chariot of fire -25

Semni (tomb prince) -184
chariot -45
shield -2
light armour -2
spear of antarhak -35

Kepi (liche priest) -305 <-hierophant
casket of souls -165
hieratic jar -25

Mui (liche priest) -168
steed -8
staff of ravening -45

CORE

3 chariots (I) -195
champion -20
standard bearer -20
musician -10
banner of the undying legion -25

3 chariots (II) -170
champion -20
standard bearer -20
musician -10

9 heavy horsemen -179
champion -14
standard bearer -14
musician -7

10 skeleton warriors -80

SPECIAL

5 carrion -120

tomb scorpion -85

tomb scorpion -85

RARE

skulls of the foe -20

total-1997pts

only new tactics is the hieratic jar to get the most out of the screaming skull and skelies and challenge w/ the tomb king

Old 07 Dec 2008, 15:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumgum921
Here's the new list, same general tactic.I played with the idea of removing some of the chariot command group for more skeletons but the slow speed makes me think they won't get into combat quick enough to assist the other units...
IMO, you should still remove at least the champion upgrade on your chariots for more skeletons. Skeletons should be used for one of two things, as either large tar-pits stopping your enemy's advance and set up for a flank charge with you horsemen or chariots, or as long range fire support with their bows. Do not underestimate Tomb Kings shooting, it is some of the best in the game against normal troops and can demolish skirmishers. Seeing as you only have 10 right now, I'd at least try to get 10 more and make them all bowmen.
Old 07 Dec 2008, 23:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I would definitely drop the champs. You've spend 54 points on 3 attacks that aren't even that great. That's almost 7 skeleton bowmen right there. I would probably drop the Chariot of Fire and Shield on the TK, as he can't use it with a flail. That and the champions will get you enough for 10 more skeletons. You could put these as two small units for tactical flexibility or as one big unit to shoot a bunch then act as a tarpit.
Old 08 Dec 2008, 10:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i see what you mean about skelies. i played a quick game w/ them and loved it, the reliability of them constantly moving forward and shooting was amazing (it managed to pressure my opponent into a small group (for chariots to mush lol). the chariot of fire is too useful (for me at least) to get rid of. thanks for all the help as i quite like this list ^_^

LORD/HERO

Nomti (tomb king) -313
chariot
light armour
flail of skulls
collar of shapesh
chariot of fire

Semni (tomb prince) -184
chariot
shield
light armour
spear of antarhak

Kepi (liche priest) -305
casket of souls
hieratic jar

Mui (liche priest) -168
steed
staff of ravening

CORE

3 chariots (I) -165
standard bearer
banner of the undying legion

3 chariots (II) -140
standard bearer

9 heavy horsemen -185
standard bearer
musician

10 skeleton warriors -80

10 skeleton warriors -80

SPECIAL

5 carrion -120

tomb scorpion -85

tomb scorpion -85

RARE

skulls of the foe

total-2000pts

Old 08 Dec 2008, 13:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

That looks pretty good. Dropping the musicians instead of the chariots was probably a better move anyway.
Old 08 Dec 2008, 14:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

thanks for the help Darth_Fraggle ^_^