Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Which of these three armies should I start with?
Old 28 Nov 2008, 23:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Which of these three armies should I start with?

I am starting fantasy and I have the Dwarves and Goblins from Battle for Skull Pass, and a squad of High Elves. I am going to play one of those three armies and I was wondering which one would be best for tough defense and good shooting. (I am leaning towards Dwarves or Elves). I like some close combat but not very much.
wesswll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2008, 00:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj
Default Re: Which of these three armies should I start with?

Dwarves. Their gunlines are epic and they are still pretty tough.

Elves are really strong given their magic and always strike first, but their shooting isn't great, and you have more dwarves anyway.
deraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Dec 2008, 21:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Those three have pretty different play styles.

Dwarves are usually gun lines with great anti-magic, Elves are fast and elite (Always attack first, for instance) and have good magic, but can't take that much damage (I've found...) and Goblins rely on numbers en masse, have some fun magic, and a great variety of units to play around with.

Old 02 Dec 2008, 00:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yeah, dwarves are definately the way to go for a tough defensive army, with guns and war machines all over the place. They can also take a fair beating thanks to toughness and armour. On the other side, your average high elf or goblin warrior dies if you look at 'em funny. However, elves offset this by being lethal in close combat and gobbos have enough numbers to compensate any losses.
Hope that helps.
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Dec 2008, 01:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'm gonna vouch for the Elves on this one. I mean, Dwarfs are the typical sit-n-shoot army that's difficult to break, but Elves have a different kind of defense. They are absolutely lethal in the right combinations, and I think Lothern Seaguard will fit your style just as well as any Dwarf unit.

Seaguard can sit and shoot (half-decently) until the inevitable charge comes, since nobody likes being shot. Then they putt out their spears, fight in three ranks, and will strike before whoever just charged you. With such a huge mass of attacks coming after a few rounds of shooting (and a stand-and-shoot charge reaction), it should be no broblem to break whatever charged you. Then you can either run them down or sit back and shoot what's left!

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Dec 2008, 18:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i like the idea of the seaguard but i think dwarfs are going to be better for you till you get used to the game

Please correct me with my spelling! (I know it's terrible)
gumgum921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Dec 2008, 19:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

Well, you are new with warhammer, and since you have a fieldable (if small) army of dwarves, I would suggest you play a few games with them before finding out what you really like in the game, then decide.
deraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Dec 2008, 01:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaffl
I'm gonna vouch for the Elves on this one. I mean, Dwarfs are the typical sit-n-shoot army that's difficult to break, but Elves have a different kind of defense. They are absolutely lethal in the right combinations, and I think Lothern Seaguard will fit your style just as well as any Dwarf unit.

Seaguard can sit and shoot (half-decently) until the inevitable charge comes, since nobody likes being shot. Then they putt out their spears, fight in three ranks, and will strike before whoever just charged you. With such a huge mass of attacks coming after a few rounds of shooting (and a stand-and-shoot charge reaction), it should be no problem to break whatever charged you. Then you can either run them down or sit back and shoot what's left!
That's a good point actually. Offence is the best defence. ;D

Remember if you're stuck for choice between two or more armies you'll want to get one you like the look of as well as the play style.
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote