Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Chaos Lord configuration.
Old 14 Nov 2008, 00:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to phish
Default Chaos Lord configuration.

Okay so I have a tourny coming up next weekend, i have my list set up but i only have one problem. What to army my lord with! His current configuration right now is:

Chaos Lord-264
Chaos Steed
Favor of the Gods
Bronze Armour
Shield

This leaves me with a 30 point weapon and i am at a complete loss of what i should do. I could easily drop favor of the gods for 5 more points too. But i would definitely like to keep bronze armor as i will be facing off against the skulltaker. I was thinking either the filth mace or sword of striking/might. Any suggestions?

This is my current list

Warriors of Chaos-1968 points (2000 limit)

Chaos Lord-264
Chaos Steed
Favor of the Gods
Bronze Armour
Shield

Heroes-

Chaos Sorcerer-165
Mark of Tzeentch
level 2
Skull of Katan

Chaos Sorceror 175
Mark of Slaanesh
level 2
Dispell Scrollx2

Core-

12x Chaos Warriors-244
Mark of Slaanesh
Halberds and Shields
Full Command

12x Chaos Warriors-244
Mark of Slaanesh
Halberds and Shields
Full Command

20x Marauders-150
Mark of Slaanesh
Hand Weapons and Shield
Light Armour
Full Command

5x Chaos Warhounds-30
5x Chaos Warhounds-30

5x Marauder Horsemen-76
Javelins
Musician

Special-

Chaos Warshrine

5xChaos Knights-230
Mark of Khorne

5xChaos Knights-230
Mark of Khorne

phish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2008, 06:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Chaos Lord configuration.

Hmm...seems like a pretty solid list. MoK on your knights is pretty risky. While they do get that extra attack from frenzy, they also can be baited pretty easily. I'd suggest switching those marks out for either Slaanesh or Nurgle or take a musician. Personally, I'd drop the skull on one of your sorcerer and take the infernal puppet instead. As far as your lord goes, it really all depend on what you want. If your going for ultimate protection, I'd take the chaos runeshield and the golden eye(third eye) of Tzeentch. 3+ ward against shooting and removing the magical effects of the enemy hero's weapons is priceless. Also, having him mounted is a good idea. Offensively, I have no idea which weapons you'll want to take. I find the axe of Khorne is a good steal for only 25pts, but I still don't own the book...so I haven't had the time to really analyze the quality and usefulness of the weapons.
Old 14 Nov 2008, 12:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Phish, I've only read the army list section of the book so I don't know if there's a special rule further up the book precluding it, but the army list entry for Chaos Lord implies he can take more than one Mark. Is this true? If so... it's bloody awesome.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2008, 03:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

OstentatiousOrc, I would say that those are good suggestions but im taking a chaos lord to kill, otherwise I would just be running an exalted champion. Also, i do realize that my knights can be baited easily but thats why i have warhound screens. They are basically only their to be counter bait for the knights and other units.

My solution to his equipment was to get rid of skull of katan and just put in a power familiar which gave me enough points to put in the axe of khorne. I would have to run my 2 sorcerors within 3 inches to fully benifit from the skull of katan, which didnt seem worth the risk.

Circus-Unfortunately regular lords can only take one mark. However there is a special character, Archaon, who has all 4! Its really an amazing book, i highly reccommend everyone pick it up. New rules are AMAZING.

I just got back from testing out this list against the guy who runs the warhammer section at the local hobbyshop. The new rules play out really well and the warshrine/eye of the gods is a ton of fun. I'm going to put up a bat rep within the weekend!
Old 15 Nov 2008, 17:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Mistake me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Axe of Khorne also add +1 strength as well as it's old abilities from the last army book? Has that changed the points cost any?

Old 15 Nov 2008, 17:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

I'm familiar with Archaon, he has always had all four =P

My point was on the standard Chaos Lord entry in the army list, it says:

Weapon: ONE CHOICE ONLY

And then:

Mark of Chaos:

Now my point is that it vigorously points out you may only take one weapon, yet nothing for the mark... so if you can't, it must be something further forward in the book along the lines of "No character or unit may have more than one Mark of Chaos under any circumstances"
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2008, 18:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Page 110-"A model may not have more than one Mark."