Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Looking into starting Wood Elves... Advice please?
Old 01 Nov 2008, 01:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Looking into starting Wood Elves... Advice please?

What the title says. I am an absolute beginner to Fantasy, but I have experience in 40k. I've recently looked at the Fantasy stuff online, and my interest was caught immediately by the Wood Elves.

So, I'm looking for advice on what to get, how to equip my troops, and how to build the army. Based on what I saw on the GW site, I intend to build a small, pure Elf force with units converted from Glade Guard packs (because I like to convert, and don't like many of the models for Fantasy in general). My thoughts for the starting units are:

Spellsinger

Glade Guard x 12 w/ longbows
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

viorlashasui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Nov 2008, 04:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default Re: Looking into starting Wood Elves... Advice please?

The army dosnt offer much in the way of forgivness. If you screw up your dead.

The Wood elf models are some of the best in the range and honestly dont need to be converted to look good.

But pure elves? Lots of glade guard, eternal guard are champion for combat if you add a noble to them.

Spell Singers are good... but dont use more than 2. If you do want more make one a Spell Weaver instead of adding another caster. Nobles are too good to pass up.

Old 02 Nov 2008, 04:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

Pure elves (as in Wardancers, Glade Riders, Wild Riders, and Eternal Guard included, while excluding tree demons) are an extremely powerful army. I have 2000 points witout trees, and the only army that has a good chance of winning against me are Brettonians.

I would suggest buying the army box, even if you're not using the Dryads, and buying your spellisinger, then going on to buy eternal guard and a couple more heros, then either wardancers or wild riders, then waywatchers.

If used correctly, this is one of the hardest(or cheesiest) armies in the game.
deraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Nov 2008, 12:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I know they're unforgiving. That's one of the reasons I want to play them.

Army boxes are, unfortunately, beyond my means, and unavailable around here anyway :-[. I'm going to try to make the army entirely from plastic models, which means at some point I will have to convert. Not a problem for me, since I love to do conversions, even the simple ones.

So for units, Glade Guard, a Spellsinger, a Highborn, Waywatchers, and Eternal Guard? How should I equip them and what spell should the spellsinger have?

"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

Old 11 Nov 2008, 23:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Actually, when I started playing them I found there was a seriously minimal learning curve, and they were very forgiving if I caught my mistakes early. I use no tree spirits and no close-combat troops, and only 1-2 Spellsingers in 2,000 points.

I have lost I think only 3 or 4 times so far out of over 20 games.

One thing I will say is that you won't make friends playing Wood Elves the way I do. People hate playing a non-confrontational army as opposed to conventional stand-and-fight armies.

Wood Elf models are some of the nicest I've ever seen in my time playing Warhammer. In particular I like the Waywatcher Noble that's Direct-Order Only. It's simply beautiful, and it's an absolute joy to paint.

I hope you have fun with them anyway. It's really a fun army to play, although not always a fun army to play against.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Nov 2008, 20:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaffl
I hope you have fun with them anyway. It's really a fun army to play, although not always a fun army to play against.
Thanks. Now if only I could get to the hobby shop one of these days...

Any advice on equipping and configurations though? I can get the rest of the info on the GW homepage.

Old 18 Nov 2008, 03:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Highborns/Nobels have several options open to them, depending on what you want them to do. If you want them fighting in eternal guard, you could go the eternal guard kindred (but thats pretty boring) A great weapon and some form of bow (for stand and shoot) coupled with a stubborn unit that can get 15 attacks (plus the highborn nobel) is pretty darn good, then there is the wardancer kindred, where stone of the crystal mere is pretty good. Blades of loec also something to check out. You can do a dragon rider, where the stone is almost mandatory (gives the dragon a 3+ward). You can go scouty/waywatchery, but if you go waywatcher, you loose the killing blow shot if you use a magic bow (or arrows, can't remember). Also alter nobels are pretty fun, pretty much an elf with M9 and extra attack, give him helm of the hunt and send him on his way...

Spellweavers/singers, you can try magic heavy, but it will under perform the other elven magic heavy lists (teclis and 3 lvl 2 is nuts!!) so I would go with support, which the lore of athel loren is suited for, you can glamourweave kindred them (gets a 5+ ward) but they must be mounted. Work ouyt what you want the spell caster to do, and select items to help it, if you want it to surf some wardancers into combat, Calaingor's stave or deepwood sphere would be the best choices, as a dispeller wand of the wych elm or divination orb.

with your core you can make it all out of plastic (even eternal guard) which is great, and makes it 'cheaper'. For eternal guard combining the glade guard kit with either high elf or dark elf spearmen kits should work well enough.

For specials you can make them out of plastic (mostly) but more conversion will be requirded, wardancers are a great unit (even better combinedwith a wardancer noble) as to how to convert them....basic human legs and torso's, liberal filling and green stuff, elven heads and weapons. Wild Riders shouldn't be over looked and can give oyu the great flank charge that turns the game, can be made out of glade riders. Warhawks might be nice, but I doubt it can be made out of plastic....

For rare, waywatchers can be made out of the glade guard box, use different cloaks then what you used for the scouts, liberal forest crap on the bases and volla, they are also uber scouts and pay for it all, but are a very good unit.

If you decide to use metals, try and get a great eagle or some warhawk riders, good charge re-directers
adreal is offline   Reply With Quote