Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What Army to Collect?
Old 17 Oct 2008, 04:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default What Army to Collect?

Soup TO
I'm considering branching out into fantasy and I'm wondering what army I should collect. As some of you know right now I play Eldar and I'm thinking of playing either vampire counts, Wood Elves, or Goblins.

I've played a few games with proxy wood elves, but I'm still undecided. Should a noob like myself who is new to fantasy start with Wood Elves which are hard to play?

I'm looking for a balanced, fun army thats easy to collect with models that arnt to expensive. What do you think?
Dire Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2008, 09:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: What Army to Collect?

Skaven is fun, the army i enjoy the most so far. very fun game wise, lots of gambling against fate :P (their weapons are unreliable). but downside is the hordes you need to play, hard to collect.

i also play Dwarves, they are easy to collect as they are few in numbers. they are strong and nice overall, but slow...

Lizardmen are cool in my opinion, quite a strong army, not too hard to collect either.

i am not really familiar with elves in fantasy yet, im aiming for dark elves later, but as for now. i leave others to help you with elf advice
Old 17 Oct 2008, 11:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scizor
Skaven is fun, the army i enjoy the most so far. very fun game wise, lots of gambling against fate :P (their weapons are unreliable). but downside is the hordes you need to play, hard to collect.

i also play Dwarves, they are easy to collect as they are few in numbers. they are strong and nice overall, but slow...

Lizardmen are cool in my opinion, quite a strong army, not too hard to collect either.

i am not really familiar with elves in fantasy yet, im aiming for dark elves later, but as for now. i leave others to help you with elf advice
Thanks for you advice

There's lots of people in my gaming group who play those above armies, unfortunately and I really want to have a unique force. But thank you for your comment. Goblins, VC, High elves, Goblins, and wood elves are really the only forces that arnt really popular in my gaming community right now. I don't really want to play high elves as I already play eldar nad their pretty much the same arnt they in tactics?

Cheers

Edit: Does anyone have an estimate on when there will be a new wood elf codex?
Old 17 Oct 2008, 11:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

well, i think that the tactics are not really the same. fantasy in general have pretty much different tactics.

i am however, later on, going to play the elves, different kinds. but as for now i cant give advice.

as for wood elves, i think it will take awhile because it wasnt that long ago the latest release was out, theres others that i think gets first, lizardmen are rumored next year, and skaven got a fairly old book now aswell.
Old 17 Oct 2008, 11:30   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I don't think you play High Elves the same way as you play eldar, the biggest downside with the HE is that their core unit (spearmen) is butt ugly.

VC is an option i would concider if i were you, they have good units + they have a huge spectre of different type of models, wich is a fun challenge when it comes to painting

- Ghizza, Warboss of Dem Easta Fringe Purpa Krumpaz
mindscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2008, 12:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindscape
I don't think you play High Elves the same way as you play eldar, the biggest downside with the HE is that their core unit (spearmen) is butt ugly.
I completly agree. The giant banana heads are a big turn off....

Does anyone know what an all gobbo army is like?
Old 17 Oct 2008, 12:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

lol, yeh. but the archers are ok. myself im going to have other heads on mine, will make them look decent. but if you dont want lots of converting i think HE is a no go then.

all gobbo? i dont know...lots of hordez i guess. myself i prefer all orc
Old 17 Oct 2008, 13:09   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

My "mentor" often brings up his night goblin army when we play fantasy, and i think it rocks, + its really fun to play with. I dont remember exactly what he use to have in his army, but at least 60 night goblins, night goblin shamans, fanatics + the guys with nets, and a giant. Night goblins are also fairly easy to paint

- Ghizza, Warboss of Dem Easta Fringe Purpa Krumpaz
mindscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2008, 14:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

yeh...painting is easy, its just green faces and hands, and robes+weapons. thats about all
Old 20 Oct 2008, 08:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well right now I'm leaning towards wood elves. What should I purchase to start a viable wood elf army?