Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1000 Points of Chaos
Old 07 Oct 2008, 22:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to phish
Default 1000 Points of Chaos

Well after playing high elves for some time, I decided on my next army. I went out and got some warriors of chaos, seeing how good the new codex is going to be. This is just a small 1000 point list to give me a basis of what to buy, using the white dwarf army list. Right now i have 12 warriors with hw and shield and thats it.

1000 Points of Chaos

Aspiring Champion of Chaos-120
-Mark of Khorne
-Axe of Khorne
-Shield

Sorceror of Chaos-150
-Dispell Scroll
-Level Two
-Mark of Tzeentch

12xWarriors of Chaos-186
-Hw and Shields
-Full Command

12xWarriors of Chaos-186
-Hw and Shields
-Full Command

22xMarauders-170
-Light Armour
-Flails
-Full Command

5xMarauder Horsemen-76
-Spears

Chariot of Chaos-100

I don't have a lot of experience playing assaulty armies so this list may be horrible (please tell me if it is). I figured the warriors would be solid blocks to come in, each with a character and deal some damage and still be able to take some. The marauders i almost plan as using as a meat shield a little bit ahead of hte warriors in hopes that they get assaulted before the warriors. The marauders and chariots are coming in on the flanks harassing and taking out war machines.

Also, i had a question about the marks. Is it worth giving them to units? Especially since i would like to play either a Tzeentch army. Does a 6+ save actually do much?

Any help is greatly appreciated

-Phish
phish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2008, 00:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: 1000 Points of Chaos

A friend of mine used to play chaos warriors and he had a lot of luck with using chaos hounds as tarpits and using small units of warriors to hit flanks. I haven't seen the new codex but from what I remember those hounds were cheap and relatively nasty against T3 models.

A 6+ save is easily negated but if it's a 6+ ward save you may want to consider it, one save could be the difference between a unit staying in combat and running for a table edge.

A chariot would be better used for hitting enemies in the flanks, as a war machine hunter it would be wasted IMO.

Maybe you should make the warriors of chaos units of ten and keep them back with the chariots for flanking attacks, Use chaos hounds as tarpits, break up the marauders into 2 units of 10 and use them as tarpits if you don't like hounds, or combine them with the hounds to screen your warriors and chariot. Use the sorceror and horseman to take out war machines.
Old 08 Oct 2008, 01:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yea, its a 6+ ward save. I think combining that with a 3+ armour save would create a pretty tough unit.

I meant to say just the horsemen for war machine hunting, i typed it wrong though. I was thinking about putting in war hounds but i thought that horseman seemed a little bit more powerful and tough. I do hear they can take poison claws or scaly skin, in the new army book. When you say tarpit do you mean blocking enemy units? I'm not familiar with that term otherwise I would comment more!
Old 08 Oct 2008, 01:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish
Yea, its a 6+ ward save. I think combining that with a 3+ armour save would create a pretty tough unit.

I meant to say just the horsemen for war machine hunting, i typed it wrong though. I was thinking about putting in war hounds but i thought that horseman seemed a little bit more powerful and tough. I do hear they can take poison claws or scaly skin, in the new army book. When you say tarpit do you mean blocking enemy units? I'm not familiar with that term otherwise I would comment more!
Tarpit means they hold an enemy unit in place until you can bring up your flankers to hit them in the sides or rear to do the real damage. Usually use the cheapest units as tarpits so while the enemy may take out a few of them, your elite flankers are relatively safe which means you may lose a few cheap models or a cheap unit but it's worth it if they do their job protecting the elite unit from being charged or attacked.
Old 08 Oct 2008, 01:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Oh! okay now i know exactly what you are talking about Servant of Naggorath! Thats actually what i was planning on using my marauders for just in 1 unit. If i took out the horsemen and a few marauders i could put in 3 units of 5 hounds (These guys are REDICULOUSLY cheap). They would be able to take out a warmachine or be used as a tarpit whenever. Thanks for the idea.
Old 08 Oct 2008, 03:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I remember those hounds being the bane of my dwarfs and another friends elves. cheap hard to kill and screen the more expensive units behind them. I used to use one or two big blocks of infantry but have found that breaking them down makes them more effective and manuevarable. For the loss of a rank or two you are gaining an extra unit and vp point wise you are better off.

I face either vampire counts or lizardmen mostly both can really bog me down with cheap units so to counteract I use small screening units and counteract there tarpits with my own. Lizardmen skink hordes are particularly annoying as they pop out constantly and are so cheap, you really need your own cheap units to counteract that tactic. From memory hounds fit the bill perfectly as they can really hold their own and can get up the field quicker than most footslogging units.
Old 09 Oct 2008, 10:31   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish
I went out and got some warriors of chaos, seeing how good the new codex is going to be.
Army book!
Dark Bryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Oct 2008, 00:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Bah, my bad man. So used to 40k codexs!