Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dark Elf Assassin Hiding?
Old 02 Oct 2008, 02:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Dark Elf Assassin Hiding?

I have a question about assassins hiding within a unit. In the rulebook it says the displace a friendly model in the front rank when revealed. My first thought was that you put one of the front rank to the back and put your assassin at the front, however in the description it says that they are disguised as one of the unit members. I started to think if you want a unit with 15 guys and an assassin, wouldn't you pay for 14 and field 15 but when you reveal the assassin you remove one from the front rank and put the assassin in his place. Has anyone come across this before??
Old 03 Nov 2008, 05:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Dark Elf Assassin Hiding?

Well you could think of it that way, but IMHO I think you pay for the 15 guys, because at the start of the battle you may up and decided to chuck mr assassin in a unit of shades, so you pay for the 15 and you loose one model when you bring the assassin out.

Still you could pop over to www.druchii.net and ask around there
adreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2008, 01:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

I've been thinking about this one.

It says "displace" (i.e. move) not "replace" (i.e. remove) so... I think you just move that warrior to the back. Not sure where the assassin was hiding if not in place of one of the warriors, but that's what the RAW implies to me.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2008, 11:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCircain
I've been thinking about this one.

It says "displace" (i.e. move) not "replace" (i.e. remove) so... I think you just move that warrior to the back. Not sure where the assassin was hiding if not in place of one of the warriors, but that's what the RAW implies to me.
Thanks I'm pretty sure that's how it is supposed to be, however I just don't see an assassin hiding in a warriors pocket. The thing that got me thinking was that if an assassin is placed in an enemy unit, it does replace a warrior in the unit as it had killed one before the battle and taken his place.
Old 12 Nov 2008, 11:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

But it explicitly states that which implies that that rule runs counter to what the precedent is.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Old 12 Nov 2008, 12:04   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Warhammer is abstract, remember that. In the 6th Edition rulebook, it points out that if 20 High Elves can slay 30 Goblins with ease, then 200 High Elves would slay 300 Goblins just as easily!

Thus, if you want to imagine how a "real" Warhammer battle looks, each rank and file model might reflect two, or five, or ten men. If we work on that basis, the Assassin is one of those 'invisible' soldiers who is not physically represented, but implied.

Once he appears, he's a character, and as such he deserves a "1 = 1" representation. The very minor loss of a single man to the implied scale isn't enough to affect the 'model' scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2008, 12:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

That's a very good point and makes me inclined to play Warhammer using Warmaster models just to show the mad scale

You may call me Circus.