Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

which army for GT??
View Poll Results: which army should i take to GT???
Bretonnians 4 44.44%
High Elves 2 22.22%
Wood Elves 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18 Sep 2008, 14:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default which army for GT??

i was just wondering which of these lists would strike the most fear into you all

i am having a tough time deciding between them as they all seem pretty good:

OPTION 1 - Bretonnians

Lord - The Green Knight - 275pts

terror causing, ethereal, powerful, fast, arrives from almost any terrain piece and can quite happily come back after he is destroyed - whats not to love

Hero - Paladin (general) - 141pts
- barded warhorse
- shield
- lance
- gromril great helm

cheap and cheerful. he has a 1+re-rollable armour save and the blessing of the lady ward save. usually joins the errant knights to stop them running off as often

Hero - Paladin (battle standard) - 174pts
- barded warhorse
- battle standard - banner of the lady

a magic banner that removes any enemies rank bonus - SOLD!

Hero - Damsel - 130pts
- warhorse
- 2 dispel scrolls

Hero - Damsel - 130pts
- warhorse
- 2 dispel scrolls

damsels give magic resistance 1 to their units and can hide in the middle of a regiment (though it negates their LOS). their main purpose is to hold the first magic phase, allowing the knights to charge the following turn.

Core - 8 Knights of the realm - 216pts
- full command

Core - 8 Knights of the realm - 216pts
- full command

Core - 8 Knights Errant - 194pts
- full command
- magic banner - errantry banner

all knights have lances and 2+saves (plus the blessing). they are my main bulk and are quite resiliant (despite only being toughness 3)

Special - 3 Pegasus Knights - 175pts
- musician

war machine hunters and charge baiters. most people dont expect a "flee" reaction from these puppies

Rare - 8 Grail Knights - 359pts
- full command
- magic banner - banner of defence

str 6 on the charge with 2 (magical) attacks each, immune to psychology and the banner of 4+ward against str5+ shooting. these guys are my hardest hitters

total points - 1999
power dice - 4
dispel dice - 4 plus 4 scrolls
kill points - 16

OPTION 2 - High Elves

Lord - High Elf Prince - 637pts
- armour of caledor
- vambraces of defence
- amulet of light
- great weapon
- longbow
- star dragon mount

hard as nails (for an elf ). 2+ re-rolling armour save and 4+ward. str 5 with always strike first and a str7 dragon with 7 wounds and a 3+save. he will be aiming for hard characters.

Hero - Dragon Mage - 435pts
- Lv 2 Mage
- 2 dispel scrolls
- silver wand
- (sun dragon mount)

not the most powerful magic phase ever seen, but it does net me a 2nd dragon >. this baby can pump out 2 spells a turn ( ) and can use 4 dice for one of them (if i really need it)

Core - 10 archers - 110pts

Core - 10 archers - 110pts

point-fillers/compulsory choices. they will be trying to pick off opposing archers/thunderers etc and war machines

Special - 5 elryllian reavers - 95pts
- swap spears for bows

i have exchanged their spears becuase i think i will get more use out of the bows. i'm keeping them below 100pts becuase they cost 1KP less if they are destroyed.

Special - 5 shadow warriors - 80pts

Special - 5 shadow warriors - 80pts

war machine hunters and last minute objective grabbers

Special - 12 Dragon Princes ( ) - 450pts
- full command
- banner of balance

the banner makes them immune to psychology, and anyone with hatred/frenzy looses it permanently! they are pretty resiliant (with a 2+save) and are immune to fire/breath weapons. plus as an added bonus, the enemy has to kill 10 of them for them not to be scoring

OPTION 3 - Wood Elves

Lord - Wood Elf Highborn - 264pts
- Alter Kindred
- Bow Of Loren
- Arcane Bodkins
- Briarsheith
- shield
- great weapon

he has a str 3 bow that has 5 shots (at BS6, no modifiers for moving or multi-shotting) and ignores armour saves, pretty harsh . he only has a 5+ armour save and no ward but enemy shooting is at -2 to hit him if he is stood right in front of them. from afar, there will be - single character, moved, long range, briarshieth for a nice -4 to hit (-5 if he is in a wood). as long as i can remove auto-hitters, he should be fine.

Hero - Wood Elf Noble - 140pts
- waywatcher kindred
- hail of doom arrow

just as hard to hit as the lord, but this guy has killing blow from 15" away and can scout 12" away even if the enemy can see him (no minimum of they cant). the hail of doom is a nasty surprise for most people - 3d6 str 4 magic arrows.

Hero - Spellsinger - 152pts
- elven steed
- 2 dispel scrolls

pretty much just a dispel caddy, she may try to cast tree singing now and then but i'm not expecting it to get through.

Hero - Branchwraith - 140pts
- Lv 1 Mage
- Cluster of radients

a combatty(ish) mage. T4, Str4, 3 attacks and causes fear. also generates 2 dispel dice which is very handy

Core - 9 Dryads - 120pts
- Branch Nymph (champion)

a unit for the branchwraith to hide in. they also cause fear and are T4 with 2 str 4 magic attacks each...... skirmish M5 is always handy as well

Core - 6 Glade Riders - 144pts

Core - 6 Glade Riders - 144pts

fast cavalry harrasment unit. they will be baiting charges and irritating war machines

Special - 4 warhawk riders - 160pts

i love these guys. they are not particularly strong but are flyers and have the hit and run move. they will be aiming to assassinate mages and war machines

Special - 6 Wild Riders - 192pts
- full command

Special - 6 Wild Riders - 192pts
- full command

my main (read: ONLY!) punch unit. they are as powerful as bretonnian knights on the charge and have the awesome "cause fear" ability when they do so. they are also M9 fast cavalry so they shouldnt have many problems setting up flank charges

Rare - 7 Waywatchers - 176pts
- shadow sentinel (champion)

Rare - 7 Waywatchers - 176pts
- shadow sentinel (champion)

these little nasties have killing blow at short range (15") and will be hoping for some juicy knights to aim for. in the absence of heavy cavalry their BS5 (BS6 on the champions) will help bring down other nasties

Total points: 2000
Power Dice: 4
Dispel Dice: 5 plus 2 scrolls
Kill points: 21

well, as i asked at the start of this lot, which list looks best to you ???
Old 19 Sep 2008, 00:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default Re: which army for GT??

I lean towards the Wood elves as your effective army.

However, I have run the Alter lord and the Waywatcher noble. The Alter lord is good but the noble is only really good for that one shot.

But I still use him so meh...

Who is the general? Because it would be FAR to dangerous for you to use the watcher noble and the alter cant be?

Failing that I would suggest the Brets. Pretty bloody hard army there.
Old 19 Sep 2008, 09:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: which army for GT??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted Diamond
I lean towards the Wood elves as your effective army.

However, I have run the Alter lord and the Waywatcher noble. The Alter lord is good but the noble is only really good for that one shot.

But I still use him so meh...

Who is the general? Because it would be FAR to dangerous for you to use the watcher noble and the alter cant be?

Failing that I would suggest the Brets. Pretty bloody hard army there.
the alter cant be the general so it is the noble (highest Ld)...

i dont like how easy to kill he is but i like the model and the idea of "infiltrating" the hail of doom seems too good to pass up....

though i will consider just taking a standard noble on a mount (attached to a glade rider unit) and give him the hail of doom (perhaps some armour as well )

i like the bretts, but i took on vampires with them a week or so ago and the only model i had left was the green knight - my opponent had MORE models than he started with and i only managed to kill one vampire (out of 4 )

the wood elves have the movement to keep away from just about anything, and that i think will come in very handy at GT.... they are just so fragile :'(