Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New To Fantasy-1000 pt. High Elves
Old 14 Sep 2008, 21:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to phish
Default New To Fantasy-1000 pt. High Elves

After about a 2 year break, I starting playing warhammer again. This time starting fantasy! I've only played 2 games with my friends chaos warriors army, and this is my attempt at making a viable list. Any comments/criticism are welcome.

Heroes

Noble-153
Enchanted Shield
Star Lance
Elven Steed
Dragon Armour

Level 2 Wizard-160
Jewel of dusk
Silver wand

core

10x Archers-110

10x Archers-110

20xspearmen-205 (mage here)
Full command

Special

7xSilver Helms-161 (noble here)
Shields

Rare

Repeater Bolt Thrower-100

I was hoping to make somewhat of a defensive counterattack army using most of the models found in the battalion. Do i have enough of a base to launch a counter attack? i was thinking about taking out 1 unit of archers and cutting back the silver helms to put in either pheonix guard or swordmasters. Thanks again!
phish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2008, 23:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default Re: New To Fantasy-1000 pt. High Elves

In my experience Great Sword units are hardcore.

Also in my experience, Mages should not be put in units. They reach combat and cant cast. Also, I dont now what the gear he has does but even one dispel scroll is handy.

Otherwise it seems pretty solid. Good luck with it.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 00:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Oh, thanks for the tip. I wasnt sure about where to put the mage. I'm going to try playing with the silver helms first, as i already own them, and if i dont like them, ill try for the sword masters.
Old 16 Sep 2008, 14:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodStained Hurricane
[...]Also in my experience, Mages should not be put in units. They reach combat and cant cast. Also, I dont now what the gear he has does but even one dispel scroll is handy. [...]
i have to say i dont aggree with this.

any mage in the "open" will be sniped by anything that can draw a bead to them. if they are in terrain/out of LOS you will still find your opponent gets to them pretty quick (using either fast cavalry, magic or whatever).

i like to put my mages either in sit back defensive units (large spearmen regiments) or in hardcore assault units (dragon princes). the dragon princes should wipe out enough models to stop anyone hitting the mage, and the spearmen scare off almost anything light infantry/fast cavalry related.

but your list looks pretty solid...

i'll be critical, dont take this the wrong way, i'm preparing for GT in a months time so i will be looking to get more efficiency if possible :

1) your mage is illegal. you can only have one arcane item (or rather, one selection. you can take multiple "common" arcane items on a mage). i'd suggest the silver wand over the jewel, it gives you more chance of getting the spells you want. you could look at some of the cheap talismans/enchanted stuff, i think there is an amulet that gives you magic resistance and immune to fire - quite useful.

2) your noble is a powerhouse to be sure, but with no ward save i dont think he will survive many return attacks. there are quite a few armies that have access to items that ignore armour or can get a strength high enough to practically negate your armour anyway. perhaps taking a normal lance and the expensive magic helm that gives you a 4+ward save. you wont be instant squishing chariots, but you will be able to take a lot more punishment.

3) i like your core choices, cant really fault them. try to squeeze an upgrade or 2 on the spearmen..... the banner of arcane protection (magic resistance 2) is VERY useful, as is having a command.... perhaps some abletive wounds in there (more men) as the moment you loose 2 men (not hard) you start loosing your rank bonus.. but those are just handy trinkets, you should be fine as they are now...

3) silver helms..... nice models but can you squeeze a small dragon prince unit instead... *pulls out maths cap*..... 5 dragon princes is 150pts....... with no extras that is. but they are weapon skill 5 and leadership 9. not to mention they have 2 attacks each as well. these bad boys are so much better than silver helms. dont get me wrong, silver helms are a brilliant unit, but dragon princes are better. you may want some command models in there, especially a champion though.

4) bolt throwers get better the more you have. i dont like seeing just the one of them. BUT, i cant see many things you could replace it with (small unit of shadow warriors for taking out opposing war machines)... i wont go into more detail here because you may find it works for you.

all of the special choices are worth it but if you are deciding on the big 3, consider this:

Sword Masters - amoung the hardest hitting infantry in the game. my brettonians fear charging these guys. HOWEVER, they are about as resiliant as a wet lettuce.

Pheonix Guard - they arent going to be dying any time soon iwth their impressive ward save and their fear causing will help against most opponents. but they are the weakest of the 3, they will do well against T3, but the moment you throw T4+ models at them you find that they dont have the strength to take anything down.

White Lions - not many people are brave enough to throw their characters near these guys, str 6 each is a real boon. they also have a reasonable 3+save (i think)from shooting. BUT they dont have many attacks so any combined charge will really hurt them.

they all have their strengths and weaknesses, it depends on what you want them to achieve.
Old 16 Sep 2008, 19:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
i'll be critical, dont take this the wrong way, i'm preparing for GT in a months time so i will be looking to get more efficiency if possible
That's exactly what i was looking for El magnifico thanks man!

Quote:
i like to put my mages either in sit back defensive units (large spearmen regiments) or in hardcore assault units (dragon princes). the dragon princes should wipe out enough models to stop anyone hitting the mage, and the spearmen scare off almost anything light infantry/fast cavalry related.
I was hoping to do exactly that with my mage, i figured with no save and being very powerful he would get targeted pretty quickly. The spearman would need to be severely beaten up for him to be harmed.

1.Thanks for pointing that out, i was completely unaware of that! Im going to take out the jem and add the amulet of fire. It will definitely give the spearman and him a greater defense.

2. That's a good point you bring up there. I almost forgot that he could be hurt :P. The only non "armour" i can find that give a 4+ ward save are gauntlets which are 55 points. Unless ward saves can be added together (Correct me if i'm wrong but i don't believe they can), ill have to go with a 5+ ward save amulet. He'll probably end up with a regular lance, 5+ amulet, dragon armour and enchanted shield.

3. I would like to upgrade the spearman to 25 with a banner, but i dont know where i can find the points. I could take out a unit of archers to upgrade this unit and then several others, such as my cavalry, but i would fear that that would leave me with a little less offensive power. I think im going to playtest keeping them in first and if i don't like it, ill take them out and add in the upgrades.

4. I must have missed that, i wasn't aware how much better Dragon Princes were than silver helms, ill definitely switch the silver helms out for them. I'll try and squeeze as much of a command group as i can but i think ill only end up with champion/musician, i still have to work out the points from my lord and mage.

5. It might not be able to do a lot, but i still think it will be very helpful for thinning down lines. In larger lists im definitely going to add more but for now this is all i can fit.

As for the special units, im still deciding between pheonix guard and sword masters. Im afraid of sword masters being chopped up to easily, and also of the pheonix guard not accomplishing much. Im definitely going to proxy both of these units in my list before i make a decision.

Thanks a ton for all your help El Magnifico.