Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Could I get some info?
Old 13 Sep 2008, 20:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Could I get some info?

Hi, I've been playing 40k for a little while now, and lately I've been wondering about the Fantasy version. Could you guys tell me a little about the game? I just want to know a little about the background, and what to expect from the game system.
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

viorlashasui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Sep 2008, 21:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Could I get some info?

I suggest you go here. It'll take you to the 'Getting Started With Warhammer' section of the Games-Workshop site.

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2008, 14:00   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'm in the opposite situation to you!

Basically where 40k plays on shooting more often, Combat is the most vital part of killing in Fantasy (with a few army specific exceptions.) Magical is just awesome fun and is something that doesn't really to my knowledge appear in 40k.

1 piece of advice however is be careful when assembling infantry! Make sure they "rank up" properly or your units will not fit together nicely, and that is a giant pain.
Dark Bryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2008, 02:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think one of the biggest differences is with fantasy your character choices are a lot more crucial to the game as some armies have characters that are virtually indestructable (expensive though). I used to play dwarfs when I first started years ago and Alric was never killed no matter how recklessly I used him he wouldn't die.

Magic is a bit tricky to get used to, many armies have their magic all contained within their own codices and some have to use the lores from the rulebook. Getting used to the various levels of wizard and power dice and dispell dice amounts takes a while so if you need to use magic from the rulebook study that section pretty well because it can get confusing when you start out.

Shooting is a bit different with modifiers to hit, rolling to wound is the same however armour saves work very differently and can also be modified like shooting depending on the strength of the hit.

Movement is a bit different as all models have a movement characteristic from the stumpy dwarfs 3" movement to horses and cavalry having roughly 8" depending on the army. You get too march in warhammer which is great for slogging across the table to your enemy which doubles your movement.

Close combat is very similar relying on ws to hit and strength vs toughness to wound again like shooting it is only the armour saves that really differ as they can again be modified.

The game itself is based on a lot of different races like 40k they all have their strengths and weaknesses. To find out about the different races your best bet is to check them out at games workshop or buy the warhammer rulebook. Overall I find that fantasy plays a little slower than 40k and there is more dice rolling and thinking to do. I personally play because the models are great and the background for the fantasy world is great no matter what army you choose. If you are into lord of the rings and watching or playing other fantasy movies and games then definately give it a go. Like 40k don't choose an army you think is easiest find one that has the fluff you like and the models you want to paint.
Old 25 Sep 2008, 21:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Thanks, you guys are great! Especially Servant of Naggaroth. You pretty well answered my questions.

So, should I buy the Skull Pass set? I'm looking at playing Wood Elves, but I want to try it before I commit to buying a huge army, and I don't want to spend $50 just on a rulebook if there's a better option.
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

viorlashasui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2008, 01:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother-Captain Lucius Faust (viorlashasui)
Thanks, you guys are great! Especially Servant of Naggaroth. You pretty well answered my questions.

So, should I buy the Skull Pass set? I'm looking at playing Wood Elves, but I want to try it before I commit to buying a huge army, and I don't want to spend $50 just on a rulebook if there's a better option.

No Worries

As to buying Skull Pass If you like either dwarfs or orcs and goblins then yeah would make a good investment, Considering that the rulebook is $85.00 just like the 40k book you might be tempted to go that way. I suppose if you don't like either army you could always sell them off later. The thing is that both armies play very differently too wood elves who rely mostly on cunning, magic and maneuverability, they typically have small elite units to get the job done, dwarfs rely on high toughness and armour to get them through and orcs and goblins rely on a horde army to win.

The thing about fantasy is it won't take over your 40k it just gives you a nice option for when you get bored of 40k then after a while of fantasy you go back. That's what I have found anyway, the real problem with fantasy is for some reason it's not very well catered for on line. There aren't many sites dedicated to warhammer fantasy so you have to be prepared to lose a few battles as tacticas and army list critics are fewer.

I would strongly suggest looking at the model ranges and getting a feel for the prices and most importantly the look of the models, just like 40k if you like the look and fluff behind an army then chances are you will enjoy many games with that army. Good luck with whatever you decide though. ;D