Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A few questions about the Warhammer Universe.
Old 01 Sep 2008, 09:09   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default A few questions about the Warhammer Universe.

Before I start I would first of all like to point out that I know next to nothing about WFBG although I will hopefullly be starting a mongol (ungol?) themed DoW army after I've done my 'nids.

1 st question. Is Cathay a single sovereign entity or is it divided?

2nd question. What system of government do they have in Cathay (if known)?

3rd question. Do they have dragons in Cathay.

4th question. How easy would it be for a tribe of ungols to leave Kislev and head into Cathay?

5th question. Would there be any chance of them surviving (or growing as a mercenary band) and coming out of araby into the empire?

6th (and final) question. In game terms is there any way a mounted lord could ever get dismounted. (My theme requires him to be lame and if yes I might need to re-think a little).

For more webcomics like this please visit my website.

http://www.tristanworld.com

or my deviant art account.
Omeganus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Sep 2008, 09:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Re: A few questions about the Warhammer Universe.

1) I'm fairly sure Cathay is a sovereign entity but there's masses of bureaucracy amongst the merchants. It's not got that much written on it.

2) No idea. I wouldn't be surprised if it's Monarch + Parliament, but I don't think it's written anywhere.

3) Probably not, but I don't see why you couldn't have dragons in your army.

4) It's a long walk but it's doable.

5) If they're good, yes.

6) Yes, if the mount is killed the Lord is dismounted. This can and does happen. Most often with chariots though.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Sep 2008, 09:40   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

The rulership of Cathay is ruled by the "God" Monkey-King.

Whilst worshipped as a god, he is merely a man. He holds court over the noble families, but it is ultimately he who makes the decisions.

I believe it is divided into ethnic areas much like china, however each one is still ruled by the court of the Monkey King.

Tzeentch is the main god worshipped, albeit in secret, and he is known as Tzin-Tzin there - to rise in rank so to speak is to "Climb the pagoda" with the lower levels littered with the bones of those who failed him.

The magic of Cathay is highly elemental based, with the ability to call up the spirits of the mages ancestor to do their bidding.

One of the most powerful spells is to call upon the five elements - Wind, Wood, Earth, Fire and Water. This conjoures up avatars of these elements, who have control over their type.

Lord Tzin-Tzin would not appear to be as outlawed as it is in the empire, many "loyal" cathayans rise upon the pagoda, and whilst it would not appear to be in the service of chaos, a lot of the magic is tzeentchian based. Examples include the Monkey King himself, and someone called Master Wu (IIRC). Each have risen the pagoda, but don't serve chaos, yet a lot of the cathayan magic does appear to be from Tzeentch - the Elementals I mentioned above requires sacrifice and a high level on the Pagoda, yet they are more elemental based than mutative.

They also combine martial arts and magecraft, with their mages being the equal of normal fighters - yet able to tap into elemental magic to boost their prodigious skill, by jumping further, or walking on water etc.

Its tricky, as their seems to be a fine line between outright service of Tzin-Tzin, and "loyal" cathayan magic, the two are very intertwined.

They do have dragons, albeit one without wings - think your typical chinese dragon. They can still fly, however, as much like the Fire Dragons of the elves, each Cathayan dragon "belongs" to a certain element - so wind dragons can still fly by manipulating the air etc.

Hope this has helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Sep 2008, 10:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
1) I'm fairly sure Cathay is a sovereign entity but there's masses of bureaucracy amongst the merchants. It's not got that much written on it.

2) No idea. I wouldn't be surprised if it's Monarch + Parliament, but I don't think it's written anywhere.

3) Probably not, but I don't see why you couldn't have dragons in your army.

4) It's a long walk but it's doable.

5) If they're good, yes.

6) Yes, if the mount is killed the Lord is dismounted. This can and does happen. Most often with chariots though.
1 - 5 Good, the theme works.

6) How often would a lance lord on a pegasus get dismounted? If it would be reasonably often then would it be OK to play as if he has M1 not 4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle
The rulership of Cathay is ruled by the "God" Monkey-King.

Whilst worshipped as a god, he is merely a man. He holds court over the noble families, but it is ultimately he who makes the decisions.

I believe it is divided into ethnic areas much like china, however each one is still ruled by the court of the Monkey King.

Tzeentch is the main god worshipped, albeit in secret, and he is known as Tzin-Tzin there - to rise in rank so to speak is to "Climb the pagoda" with the lower levels littered with the bones of those who failed him.

The magic of Cathay is highly elemental based, with the ability to call up the spirits of the mages ancestor to do their bidding.

One of the most powerful spells is to call upon the five elements - Wind, Wood, Earth, Fire and Water. This conjoures up avatars of these elements, who have control over their type.

Lord Tzin-Tzin would not appear to be as outlawed as it is in the empire, many "loyal" cathayans rise upon the pagoda, and whilst it would not appear to be in the service of chaos, a lot of the magic is tzeentchian based. Examples include the Monkey King himself, and someone called Master Wu (IIRC). Each have risen the pagoda, but don't serve chaos, yet a lot of the cathayan magic does appear to be from Tzeentch - the Elementals I mentioned above requires sacrifice and a high level on the Pagoda, yet they are more elemental based than mutative.

They also combine martial arts and magecraft, with their mages being the equal of normal fighters - yet able to tap into elemental magic to boost their prodigious skill, by jumping further, or walking on water etc.

Its tricky, as their seems to be a fine line between outright service of Tzin-Tzin, and "loyal" cathayan magic, the two are very intertwined.

They do have dragons, albeit one without wings - think your typical chinese dragon. They can still fly, however, as much like the Fire Dragons of the elves, each Cathayan dragon "belongs" to a certain element - so wind dragons can still fly by manipulating the air etc.

Hope this has helped.
OK, I'll keep that in mind when I get some Wizards in it.

As for the dragons I think that I'll have to make it a baby wind dragon (the best DoW can get is a pegasus) so I could do a counts as for a very young dragon.

How easy would it be to shrink the Helf dragon, cut off the wings, Chinesify it (including sticking clouds under its feet), putting it on a 40 mm square flying base and then telling people it counts as a pegasus. Do you think my oponents would have any problem with it?

For more webcomics like this please visit my website.

http://www.tristanworld.com

or my deviant art account.
Omeganus is offline   Reply With Quote