Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help me I can't decide, Skaven or Orks?
Old 28 Aug 2008, 02:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Help me I can't decide, Skaven or Orks?

I was all about Skaven intill I started to look around the gw uk site. Now I do not know what to start, Orks or Skaven. I love an army that has models #s and some very cool rule. The models are on par with one another. So I do not know maybe if you could tell me some facts about them (army play and pros and cons) I might be able to choose. Please help.
Old 28 Aug 2008, 08:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Help me I can't decide, Skaven or Orks?

i'll put it this way....

both armies are fun to use and both have VERY different play styles.

i wont venture into play styles but i will say this:

a goblin is about 3 peices for a cheap model.

a skaven slave is 9 parts for a 2pts model >

i gave up on putting my skaven together becuase i just ran out of enthusiasm. if you can get through the moddeling stage, the painting and playing will be awesome.

for the record - my vote goes with the rats
Old 28 Aug 2008, 08:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hi
Orcs and goblins: They are fairly easy to assemble and paint (mine take 6 colours) they have a huge variety of options (14 lords, 9 heroes, 5 mounts, 10 core, 11 special and 6 rare!) they are a really fun army to play with (although ive only got 700pts of them :P ) and have (in my opinion) the most hilarious miscast table in the game, most of the time their heads blow up ;D , and have 41 magic items! they're a great force to use, most of the time great, at other so frustrating that you'd wish you took skaven. If you want i could write a 1000pt list for you.
Cya
mamba21500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2008, 00:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morglum
Hi
Orcs and goblins: They are fairly easy to assemble and paint (mine take 6 colours) they have a huge variety of options (14 lords, 9 heroes, 5 mounts, 10 core, 11 special and 6 rare!) they are a really fun army to play with (although ive only got 700pts of them :P ) and have (in my opinion) the most hilarious miscast table in the game, most of the time their heads blow up ;D , and have 41 magic items! they're a great force to use, most of the time great, at other so frustrating that you'd wish you took skaven. If you want i could write a 1000pt list for you.
Cya
Sure could you, also maybe some one (El Magnifico) could write up a typical 1000 skaven list please
Old 29 Aug 2008, 08:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ok, here goes:
Black orc big boss 106 pts
martogs best basha
shield
heavy armour
(will join orcs)

Black Orc big boss 116 pts
battle standard
heavy armour
shield
(will join orcs)

Night Goblin shaman 135 pts
Staff of sneaky stealing
lvl 2
(joins archer gobbos)

Hero total: 357 pts

20 Night goblins 64 pts
Hand weapons
Musician

20 Night goblins 64pts
bows
musician

10 spider riders 136pts
musician

20 Orc boyz 150pts
shields
full command

core total: 504pts
army sub total: 861pts

Wolf chariot 60pts

Doom diver 80pts

army total: 1001 pts

I find it a fairly good army to use, it has over 60 models in it, long ranged support, and even a chariot to deal with annoying asf units, like elves, and should do farily well unless against magic heavy armies, where i suggest dropping the wolf chariot and getting a spirit totem for the standard bearer and putting him in the orc squad.

mamba21500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2008, 10:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

EDIT: oops, the list i wrote was for around 2000pts.....

i will see what i can do

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxlover_bill369
Sure could you, also maybe some one (El Magnifico) could write up a typical 1000 skaven list please
i will certainly write a list or 2 for you this weekend, but i cant really give you a "standard" list.

there are 4 major clans in skaven and each has its own wasy of fighting (the units can be inter-mixed, but most players i've seen stick mainly to one clan):

Clan Skyre - technology based, they experiment with anything they can get their hands on. they have the most potent weapons in the skaven book, but they are prone to exploding in fantastic fasion and killing themselves

Clan Eshin - the assassins. not usually seen deployed as an army, you normally just find a unit or 2 in support of the other clans.

Clan Moulder - these guys are experts in mutation and genetic "re-configery" (i made a new word 8)). they can field the rat ogres and giant rats (amoung other bits) and usually field fast, hard hitting troops that can take a reasonable ammount of punishment due to high toughness or sheer numbers (no armour for any of thier units though)

Clan Pestilens - you will always see a unit or 2 of plague monks in an army. the priests of disease. pestilens have some frieghtning weapons such as the plague censer (a flail that causes every model in base contact to take a toughness test of suffer an immediate wound - and it counts to combat res >)

off the top of my list, a typical list would be EITHER:

Grey Seer (not part of a clan)
- lv 4 mage (automatically)
- some dispel scrolls

Warlock Engineer (clan skyre)
- warplock pistol
- engergy condenser
- bound item (warp lightning)

Warlock Engineer (clan skyre)
- warplock pistol
- engergy condenser

Assassin (clan eshin)
- bands of power (bound spell, doubles his strength to 8)
- 4+ ward (on a 1 at the end of the game he dies)
- smoke bombs (if he flees combat, on a 4+ the enemy cant pursue)

20 clan rats (any clan)
- command
- ratling gun (clan skyre - VERY POWERFUL gun capable of 21 str 5 shots, though you will most likely explode before you get them )

20 clan rats (any clan)
- command
- ratling gun

20 clan rats (any clan)
- command
- ratling gun

30 skaven slaves
- musican

30 skaven slaves
- musican

30 skaven slaves
- musican

20 plague monks
- full command
- magic banner - banner of burning hatred (gives the unit hatred which combined with their frenzy and hand weapons gives them 3 attacks each that re-roll to hit)

warp lightning cannon (clan skyre's feared war machine, capable of str 10 shots that do d6 wounds and it always ignores terrain, can also easily be used to snipe characters hidden in units)

other builds have a warlord instead of the grey seer (warlord has a better leadership), and the 3 characters will be warlock engineers with dispel scrolls.

the grey seer list has a horrifying magic phase if it goes well (10 power dice and each wizard comes with warpstone tokens (one use power dice)). though like all skaven technology, their magic has a habbit of backfiring from time to time

i''m not sure on the points of the above list, but i will write one for you over the weekend.
Old 29 Aug 2008, 13:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

If you opt for Orcs and Gobs, we have quite a few greenskin players at http://oldworldonline.proboards41.com/index.cgi
Old 01 Sep 2008, 03:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I can tell you Rats outnumber even pure Gobbo lists if you do it right. There are a lot of ways to field Skaven, some more powerful than others, but I can tell you that no matter what you're going to outnumber or outshoot your opponent. Skaven Shooty armies are very feared, and with reason. They're at least as strong (and at least 5 times more volatile and prone to backfiring) as the most cannon-est Dwarf Gunline you've ever seen. Jezzails, Ratling Guns and Warp Lightning Cannons are terrifying.

I can't honestly give much about Orcs and Gobbos, other than that they end up being pretty generic with lackluster special rules and obnoxious magic items. I don't play them, and I have no desire to play them. They're also not a particularly strong army, so if you go Green don't expect to win a lot, as they're at about the bottom rung on the power charts.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2008, 04:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Thanks guys I went for Skaven. I looked on underempire and that helped me alot about choosing.