Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting Vampire Counts, question
Old 26 Aug 2008, 13:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003
Default Starting Vampire Counts, question

So I eventually figured out which army I wanted to start. I hate the Empire models, and I hate the Bretonnian playstyle.

So strangely enough I settled on Vampire Counts.

I bought the army book and like a lot of what I've seen so far, in terms of gameplay, however I really dislike most of the models.

So what I'm going to do is probably a fiefdom within the border princes whose nobility has been tragically infiltrated by a Lahmian Vampire (one male and one female). So I'm going to use heavily converted Bretonnian/Dogs of War models for a lot of things.

However, what I wonder is, can I still include a living hero ala. 6th ed. Lahmian list? I plan to do this via including a mercenary general/captain from the Dogs of War list as a rare choice (suits me fine as no rare choice aside from the Varghulf impresses me that much). Is that possible?

edit: Alternatively, since the mercenary captain is such an unimpressive choice, I can include another dog of war unit. Such as the galloper's guns (or whatever it was called, it was the light cannon crew drawn by horses). Any suggestions as to what might complement Vampire Counts? My overall tactic will be to have magically powerful supporting vampires and numerous corpse carts marching behind a solid phalanx of skellies/graveguard with tarpit zombie screens and dire wolves, black knights and varghulf up the flanks. Maybe a flyer vampire to get behind the enemy lines and cause terror and raise zombies and all the rest of it.

The general strategy is to use tarpit/flank/outnumber/fear/general combat resolutions to break the enemy, rather than having a few money units (hence I'm not planning to take any monsters, cairn wraiths or blood knights)

Basically fluff is very important to me in this choice and I absolutely must have a few desperate and smitten mortals trying to recieve the blood kiss.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2008, 15:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq
Default Re: Starting Vampire Counts, question

I cant re-call if you can actually take characters as DoW in other armies.

What you could do though is take a Regiment of Reknown. As they come with their very own Hero Level Character. You can just make your own models/fluf for them. Volands Venators are a great choice If you want Nobility/Knights looking for the Blood Kiss.

Leopolds Leapord Company are Immune to Psychology, very fitting for humans that fight alongside the dead.

The Galloper Guns come with their own mounted hero but you will get some calls of cheese for having Vamps with Cannons. It is fitting for a border princes force though.

Vesperos Vendetta will be very fitting as they cause fear due to Vesperos Death Mask. Although they aren't one of the best units, they are very fitting and Skirmishers can be handy for Undead.

You may be interested in our more in depth Fantasy Forums Crazed, over at http://oldworldonline.proboards41.com/index.cgi.
Old 26 Aug 2008, 16:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

Okay, I'll definitely look into that forum tommorow.

Well I haven't played Fantasy extensively before aside from a brief career of Dark Elves in 6th ed. just how cheesy would VC with cannons be? I mean is that a valid argument?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2008, 16:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Part of the VC's balancing is their lack of range, especially *strong* range. Big cannons? Looks like strong range to me =P It shouldn't be too bad though. Especially if you model it all well. Good modelling themeage can very quickly make people turn a blind eye to cheesy list building.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2008, 21:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

It's really not that cheesy at all. Cannons are the suck.

Do you like models at all Crazed? Hate Empire models, hate Vampire Counts models... We have totally opposite taste in models. I love Empire models, but I despise all the damned flags and heraldry in a Brettonian army. Plus, the new-ish range of Vamp Counts models is almost all amazing. Ghouls are the only models I dislike, the rest are all great. The skellies are a bitch to paint of course, but even so...

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Sep 2008, 14:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

you don't like painting the skeletons? they looked pretty easy to me. other then those odd shields. but then again, i suck at painting so maybe thats all it is
you should know by now GW likes to do it backwards... "Mr. Tank driver, drive me closer so I can hit it with my sword!"
Hope. This is not a plan. This is not a solution. It is reaction.
Togashi Johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Sep 2008, 14:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Do bear in mind that you CANNOT take any of the character choices from the Dogs of War list as allied Rare choices. This is explicitly disallowed. You can, however, take Regiments of Renown, which include characters within their ranks, as given in the Regiments of Renown list.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote