Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

what army to pick?
Old 22 Aug 2008, 01:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default what army to pick?

Hi all. I've been playing 40k for ages and have wanted to jump in to WH. But I'm not sure what race to play. Right now I play Mech Tau, Dark Angels (not either wing) and just started IG. Normally I tend to go for alien races with high tech, or shiny elves. I want to break out of that mold some, so high elves are out. I don't want to play chaos, that much i know. So far I've been considering Dark Elves, Tomb Kings, Vampire Counts and either empire or Bretonian. But i'm open almost anything.

Any advice?
you should know by now GW likes to do it backwards... "Mr. Tank driver, drive me closer so I can hit it with my sword!"
Hope. This is not a plan. This is not a solution. It is reaction.
Togashi Johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2008, 02:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default Re: what army to pick?

I had this same problem. So many races make it so hard to pick.

So I went for the one I liked the moels of the most. Wood Elves.

The New Dark Elves are everytwhere so i'd tend to shy away from the mainstream. The Vampire counts and Tomb Kings are both strong armies, both have similar weaknesses and strengths.

Empires are the Space Marines of Fantasy, the army that all other run off in terms of balance.

Bretonians have some nice rules, nice models but painting each Knights individual Heraldry? No thanks.

Old 22 Aug 2008, 13:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Empire are the Guard of Fantasy. The Space Marines of Fantasy goes to either Dwarfs or Lizardmen.

Empire is all about big guns and masses of well-disciplined troops. Lots of Cannons and strong ranged units, along with solid blocks of infantry and really nice special rules.

Dark Elves are indeed too mainstream for me as well. They run off hating everything in the game (re-roll all missed to-hit rolls in CC) and Assassins. Stupid Assassins...

Tomb Kings are pretty generic undead, they've got some really nice Chariots though, and no Tomb Kings army is complete without them (that's the most appealing aspect of Tomb Kings to me). Their magic is OK, it's not great anymore, but it's certainly not weak either. It is different from other army's magic though.

Vampire Counts are like Tomb Kings on 'roids. Every character can be both a spellcaster and a fighter at the same time. Their magic is amazing, and their main strength lies in the fact that they can end the game with not only more models than they started, but more units as well. Tomb Kings can't touch that. Vampire Counts are a tourney level army as well, very strong.

I'm not gonna lie, I hate Bretonnia. I dunno why people think it's so great, it's just a mass of cavalry, sometimes with a few peasants thrown in the mix. What's the fun in that?

Maybe you could look into Dogs of War as well? It's a lot of converting, but you can end up with any army you want. Elves can feature strongly, or Ogres, or Dwarfs, or Norsemen, you're one of two armies that can field a Dragon in under 2K, and you have access to all the Regiments of Renown, which are mostly just fun to use. Also, Dogs of War are as far from mainstream as you can get. You can find all their rules on the UK website, and be sure to read the Ogre Kingdoms book also, since Bulls, Ironguts, Leadbelchers and Maneaters can be used as a Special choice in a Dogs of War army.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2008, 13:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I would have to say, Dwarves or Empire are good starter armies. Since you get a handful of Dwarves in the starter box. Empire have big cannons/guns/etc. and lots of well disciplined troops.

Perhaps you could start with Orcs and Goblins like I am doing. They have some pretty awesome units (Wyverns, Black Orcs, Squig Hoppers, Snotling Pump Wagons, and this list goes on,) need I mention their magic and heroes . but you have to be careful of Animosity. It can make or break a game if you play Orcs in Fantasy.

But the armies everyone else have been talking about, maybe you should probably start with them.

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig
Bugga62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2008, 16:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think i've got it narrowed down to Vamps, Dark elves, and Dogs of war. I read the battle report and stuff in this months WD and i think the DElves assassins are frickin cool! So i want to find out more about them. Anyone know where i can check up on them before i have to buy a book?

I did download the Dogs army lists from GW UK and will check them out in a bit.
you should know by now GW likes to do it backwards... "Mr. Tank driver, drive me closer so I can hit it with my sword!"
Old 25 Aug 2008, 11:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

nope, their rules don't appear anywhere...
Old 25 Aug 2008, 12:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Personally I find it silly to suggest he not play a certain army based on popularity. I went with Dark Elves myself because I like the models the most and I'll Aulma on anyone who accuses me of following a trend or being too "mainstream".

Go with what you like, never pick an army simply because it's "noob-friendly" or they happen to be an underdog. Sounds to me like you're pretty excited about Dark Elves.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2008, 13:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Actually I do like the elves but i decided to go with the vampire lords. I talked to someone on another board and got a ton of great info. Not worried about being beginner friendly or any of that junk. And I guess from what the other gentleman said, that now I've decided on vamp, and more specifically a magic heavy vamp, I can now expect to hear cries of cheese and beardy every where I roam. Fortunately this does not concern me.

But thanks for all your help!
Old 25 Aug 2008, 20:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Cheesy vampire armies are more commonly armies crammed with Vampire Cavalry and super-mega killing machines of heroes... So magic heavy isn't that cheesy, though it still is...
Old 25 Aug 2008, 23:39   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I was going with as many vamps as i could all super magic heavy. means a lot of raising zombies and skeles and charging them into my foes back sides. Then bogging them down with hoards of nothings. The guy i talked too said he was called cheese for running thsi set up, though i don't now what the list was or what he played against.