Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Bretonnian List
Old 14 Aug 2008, 08:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Bretonnian List

well, i started bretonnians becuase i was sick and tired of them being labled as "beard".

i aim to prove that you can have a fun ANDchallenging game against bretonnia without the bretonnian player being shunned for his army.

i have won most of my games with this list, and it has changed VERY little (in fact, i upgraded a unit of archers and swapped some equipment around since i first wrote the list )

this is the army i currently use:

Lord - Bretonnian Lord - 250pts
- Questing Vow
- Barded Warhorse
- Shield
- Sword of the Quest (ignores armour saves, used as either a hand weapon or great weapon)
- Gromril Great Helm (6+ save, re-roll failed armour saves)
- Mantle of Damsel Elena (immune to poison/killing blow)

he has T4, a 1+ re-rollable save (becuase of the helm) that becomes a 2+ if i use my sword as a great weapon (can choose each turn). plus he will have the blessing of the lady save (for those who dont know, i can let my opponent choose who goes first, in return all my knights - including pegasus knights/mounts - get a 6+ward that is increased to 5+ against str5 or higher). i think this is a pretty defensive setup for a bretonnian lord but he can still dish out the hurt against most characters.

Hero - Paladin (battle standard) - 239pts
- Grail Vow
- Barded Mount
- Battle Standard (banner of the lady - enemy units do not get rank bonuses in combat)
- Virtue of Duty (+1 to combat res if the lord is alive)

he cant take a shield because he cannot have any extra equipment when he has the banner. so i'm stuck with a 3+ save (not bad, but this guy is a bit of a weak-link if a charge goes badly). the banner combined with an automatic +1 to combat res means my opponents ranks/standard bonuses are negated the second i charge - VERY USEFUL! - especially against undead as they will not have the numbers/strength to take on the knights.

Hero - Damsel - 130pts
- 2 dispel scrolls

Hero - Damsel - 130pts
- 2 dispel scrolls

pure caddys for scrolls. they never get their spells off but their only task in life is to hold a SINGLE magic phase for me, allowing the knights to charge the turn after if all goes well. undead can raise all they like, its the damned dance of macabre i'm worried about and the scrolls will be used to stop that - REGARDLESS of what i need to dispel it!.

Core - 10 peasant bowmen - 60pts

Core - 10 peasant bowmen - 75pts
- skirmishers
- braziers (flaming arrows)

these guys have proven themselves SO MANY times that i just cant find a reason in my heart to get rid of them. their use in the army is to snipe mages from dragons or pester war machines. their low cost means that enemies will usually ignore them and give priority to the knights. this usually leaves me holding a couple of table quarters :funny:

Core - 20 Men At Arms - 127pts
- Full Command
- Halberds

they were originally included in the list becuase they come in the battallion set. but their Str4 has allowed them with some flank charging to take down enemy chariots and all sorts. they usually hang back and try to deal with any skirmish/flying units that threaten the trebuchet - claiming that table quarter for me

Core - 12 Knights of the Realm - 337pts
- Full Command
- Magic banner - Warbanner (+1 combat res)

Core - 12 Knights of the Realm - 312pts
- Full Command

the (obvious ) assault element - two massive blocks of fast moving, hard hitting cavalry with almost every combat res bonus i can get (charaters included). with only 2 knight units, i NEED to break units on the charge, that is where all the bonuses are needed. the lord goes in the unit with the warbanner (i think it is in their points limit, i added it just now without the book to hand, if not i'll take the conquerors tapestry - double points for capturing enemy standards) and the paladin joins the other unit (so both units have 3 ranks, standard, war standard and normally outnumber before they even land a blow!).

Special - 4 Pegaus Knights - full command - 250pts
- full command

if the enemy have any warmachines - these boys will usually go hunting them. in the absence of them, they will aim to rear charge anything the knights are heading into - i am obsessed with breaking a unit on the charge and will normally not commit unless i think i can do it.

Rare - Trebuchet - 90pts

my guess range is legendary in my local gaming group ^-^. but so is my ability to scatter/misfire > . i keep the trebuchet for the odd time when it does hit home and ruins an entire regiment. i have snipered tomb king general with this puppy

in total it comes to 2000pts bang on i think (i did change a few bits becuase the list was slightly over).

bearing in mind that i hope for a fun game - what do people think of this list
Old 18 Aug 2008, 13:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Bretonnian List

apologies for double posting but i do want some feedback on the lists i post here as i am considering them for GT. my current vote is bretonnians

i have updated my bretonian list:

Lord - the green knight - 275pts

a terror causing irritation unit. he will be flank charging/mage sniping/march blocking/war machine hunting and generally causing headaches for my opponent.

Hero - Paladin (battle standard bearer) - 211pts
- virtue of duty (+1 combat res)
- barded warhorse
- banner of the lady (enemies in base contact get no bonus for ranks)

Hero - Paladin (general) - 110pts
- shield
- Lance
- barded warhorse
- gromril great helm

battle standard is a bit over-expensive but with that banner should break most units he charges. the general is litterally there becuase it is the cheapest defensive general i can think of. i will need to get a new model though, mine has a geat weapon

Hero - damsel - 130pts
- warhorse
- 2 dispel scrolls

Hero - damsel - 130pts
- warhorse
- 2 dispel scrolls

pure dispel caddys. plus they can join the grail knights (no knight characters have the grail vow) to give them another rank bonus. an added bonus i realised when i checked the book yesterday was that a damsel gives her unit magic resistance 1 (2 for the prophetess) so one will offer the grail knights some magic defence and i think the other will join the battle standard.

Core - 8 knights of the realm - 216pts
- full command

- full command

- full command

my 3 basic core choices. there will be characters in at least 2 of these units (i might put a damsel in with one of the paladins) so they should mostly be 9-strong for the extra rank bonus (before casualties).

Special - 3 pegasus knights - 195pts
- full command

pretty much the same threat as the green knight, but these guys can actually be shot . they will most likely deploy in front of a unit of knights for the first turn (taking the hits for them) and then go machine hunting and harrasing

Rare - 8 Grail Knights - 344pts
- Full Command
- magic banner (banner of defence - their ward save is increased to 4+ against str 5+ missile weapons, including magic missiles)

my hard hitters. i will try to screen these guys with the pegasus or other knight units. they will most likely run along side the battle standard and point themselves at the biggest/baddest units my opponent has. a mage will join them mainly for the MR1 but, assuming no casualties, the +2 res for rank bonus will always be handy.

power dice - i'm not intending to cast a single spell but 4
dispel dice - 4 plus 4 scrolls

model count - 37, all mounted (nice and small )

my thoughts:

- my lord choice and 1 flying unit are the only things stopping me from getting flanked by skirmishers/fast cavalry and both those units have other roles to begin with.

- it is a very compact army. i originally dropped the 2 mages for another unit of knights but i figured that i am better off with the magic defence they provide. i may proxy an army with the unit instead of them.
Old 18 Aug 2008, 14:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Its a mazing how Bretonnians are so expensive points wise, but they are stunning.

I love your list mate

Nice Work.

The second works better, but you could do with one damsel on foot to strengthen the men-at-arms

Mal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko- New and Improved

Amazing.

The butt might need some cleaning...
(It looks dirty in the middle )
Malendricus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2008, 14:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal the Great
Its a mazing how Bretonnians are so expensive points wise, but they are stunning.

I love your list mate

Nice Work.
many thanks :funny:

what do you think i should change in the new list???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal the Great
The second works better, but you could do with one damsel on foot to strengthen the men-at-arms
i will bear it in mind for after the GT, but i'm not taking my peasants to it with my current setup

BAH!!!, CURSES > > > >

just realised the spreadsheet i use for my lists has missed out the base cost of the battle standard bearer.

i've re-configured the list to fit him in:

Lord - The Green Knight - 275pts

Hero - Paladin (battle standard) - 204pts
- barded warhorse
- virtue of duty
- banner of the lady

Hero - Paladin (General) - 110pts
- barded warhorse
- shield
- lance
- gromril great helm

Core - 8 Knights of the realm - 216pts
- full command

Core - 8 Knights of the realm - 216pts
- full command

Core - 8 knights errant - 194pts
- full command
- magic banner - errantry banner (+1str on the charge)

Special - 3 pegasus knights - 175pts
- musician

Rare - 8 grail knights - 344pts
- full command
- magic banner - banner of chalons (enemies cannot stand and shoot)

total - 1994pts

power dice - 4
dispel dice - 4 plus 4 scrolls

i could drop the 2 magic banners for a conquerors tapestry (double points for captured standards) but i quite like them as they are

any thoughts??