Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Dark Elves
Old 12 Aug 2008, 12:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default New Dark Elves

Okay, with the advent of the new Dark Elves book, I'm going to revist my druchii......but having sold all my older druchii (cept for malus darkblade.....and beastlord rakarths dragon) I have to start from scratch so to speak......(although the highborn ahem dreadlord Adreal the Immaculate and his family will still be there.....just with new models)

LORDS
Dreadlord
-Shield
-Sea Dragon Cloak
-Cold One
-Sword of Might
-Pendant of Khaeleth
-Armour of Eternal Servitude
=264pts
Okay, I like the sword of might, its a sure fire S5 on my lord, which is nice, and the way I understand the pendant, I roll under the attackers S for the ward save, and regen is nice....
HEROS
Sorceress
-Level 2
-Seal of Ghrond
=165pts
Sorceress
-Level 2
-Powerstone
-Darkstar Cloak
=180pts
Pretty much these ladies will both cast power of darkness right off the bat, try and either draw some dispell dice, or get more power dice, then just go crazy....powerstone is there for when I have to get a spell off....
Death Hag
-BSB
-Standard of Hag Graef
-Manbane
-Rune of Khaine
=200pts
Nasty little BSB, goes with corsairs
CORE
20 Corsairs
-Full Command
-Banner of Murder
=250pts
With the crazy BSB, these guys should kill most things that either charge them or I charge, okay knights will be a pain.....but they usually are...
10 Repeater Crossbowmen
-Shields
=110pts
10 Repeater Crossbowmen
-Shields
=110pts
Shields are nice, they might get a save against return shots, and can do stuff in combat......or atleast use the parry bonus....
5 Harpies
=55pts
Go after warmachines........and I can say 'fly my pretties' and cackle
Assassin
-Additional Hand Weapon
-Rune of Khaine
-Manbane
-Cry of War
=156pts
He was going to sit with my corsairs untill I added the bsb, now he'll probs run with the shades....
SPECIAL
5 Shades
-Great Weapons
=90pts
Hunt warmachines and annoy people......
5 Cold One Knights
-Full Command
-Standard of Slaughter
-Deathpiercer
=235pts
Um.....charge and kill, and deathpiercer is a nice surprise if I get challenged
RARE
War Hydra
=175pts
It's a hydra.....it kills stuff

TOTAL=1990pts

Okay, I like my cold one unit, the idea of the corsair unit with BSB and the hydra, so those things are staying. I already own a Rxbowmen unit, so that stays. I'm aware that I have no long range shooting, and a dragon or bloodthirster will own me pretty bad, but eh it happens. I will consider any advise or list changes you give, but I do fell pretty happy with this list.

A though for the Dreadlord was caledor's bane, black dragons egg, the pendant and full armour on a cold one, and, while that does relieve some pressure of a bloodthirster (even if it ignores the magical part, its still a lance, and I'll have toughness 6), treeman, dragon, old blood (those can get nasty can't they?), chaos lord (well in the new book i'm sure),TK chariot units.....I just like the other idea better (mmm regen) but I might swap him around.......well atleast untill after I paint him, then I'm not changing a thing (well not adding a lance at any rate)
adreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2008, 15:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: New Dark Elves

Quote:
Originally Posted by adreal
[...]Okay, I like the sword of might, its a sure fire S5 on my lord, which is nice, and the way I understand the pendant, I roll under the attackers S for the ward save, and regen is nice....[...]
just thought i'd chip in with how the reverse ward save works. thin of it as you having a ward save of whatever your opponent wounds you on+, but it works backwards.

if your opponent wounds you on 2's (fairly likely with T3) then you effectively have a 2+ward, but instead of failing on 1's, it fails on 6's.

it might sound confusing, but my gaming group just dont bother reversing it and use the ward save of what you were wounded on.

other than that, i have to say dont rely too much on DE magic. a good friend of mine put together a 100% power dice throwing DE army that by his own admission was purposely unbalanced to test the magic. admitidally his rolls were poor and he was up against hordes of chaos (chosen, lots of opposing tzeench mages etc) but with his entire magic phase he caused 2 wounds, one on a chosen knight, one on a dragon. he gave up shortly after.

that guy has qualified at GT with either lizardmen or "old" dark elves so i trust his judgement that DE magic isnt all that

beyond that i dont know what most/all of the items do :funny: but i have seen a lot of lists that take 2 hydras, perhaps you could try to squeeze another one in.

and i have to ask, how does this army deal with bretonnians or armies with dragons?

i dont think your magic is potent enough and your hydra isnt fast enough to catch them.....
Old 14 Aug 2008, 02:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: New Dark Elves

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Magnifico
Quote:
Originally Posted by adreal
[...]Okay, I like the sword of might, its a sure fire S5 on my lord, which is nice, and the way I understand the pendant, I roll under the attackers S for the ward save, and regen is nice....[...]
just thought i'd chip in with how the reverse ward save works. thin of it as you having a ward save of whatever your opponent wounds you on+, but it works backwards.

if your opponent wounds you on 2's (fairly likely with T3) then you effectively have a 2+ward, but instead of failing on 1's, it fails on 6's.

it might sound confusing, but my gaming group just dont bother reversing it and use the ward save of what you were wounded on.
It sez roll under the attackers strength in the book, your way does make sense, but so does the book way......eh hopefully an FaQ will come out soon and clear this up.

Quote:
other than that, i have to say dont rely too much on DE magic. a good friend of mine put together a 100% power dice throwing DE army that by his own admission was purposely unbalanced to test the magic. admitidally his rolls were poor and he was up against hordes of chaos (chosen, lots of opposing tzeench mages etc) but with his entire magic phase he caused 2 wounds, one on a chosen knight, one on a dragon. he gave up shortly after.

that guy has qualified at GT with either lizardmen or "old" dark elves so i trust his judgement that DE magic isnt all that
See I had the opposite in a game I played (okay only 1K but only one caster and against dwarfs) she cna put out alot of spells.....and ym welf army manages with a lvl 2 and level 1 so....

Quote:
beyond that i dont know what most/all of the items do :funny: but i have seen a lot of lists that take 2 hydras, perhaps you could try to squeeze another one in.

and i have to ask, how does this army deal with bretonnians or armies with dragons?

i dont think your magic is potent enough and your hydra isnt fast enough to catch them.....
Well magic items will be changed abit thanks to some suggestions of warseer,

lord will get the magic beastmaster scourge, it gives him the same S but an addition armour mod
death piercer will be swapped for null pendant (mr1) for the cold ones, they will probs get alot of magic attention anyways...
waitch elf bsb will be changed for a master bsb, same banner but heavy armour, sea dragon cloak and great weapon, its cheaper and less likly to charge out of the corairs

bretts are a pickle, but the corsairs might hold a night charge, and in games like that assassin would go in there (they all have strike first and armour pen so....) crossbowmen can put out an obsence amount of shots, so if I'm luckey I think I can take down some knights with them and the shades (unless there is warmachines) harpies to fly up and slow down afew units, they will die but an extra turn without charge is always good, and coldones/hydra will try and flank. Not the best plan ever, but untill I face bretts it's all I got.

Dragons......well depends on the level but just try and avoid loosing to much to it, while trying to break the rest of the army, probs wont work but I dont want reapers in my list, so it's all I can do
adreal is offline   Reply With Quote