Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

No casters?
Old 10 Aug 2008, 08:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default No casters?

Well... I've tweaked my list even further and it will probably change again in the next few days but...

Is not having a caster at all really a death wish?
Old 10 Aug 2008, 10:51   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: No casters?

Ill say it again........

Wood Elves + no magical defense = TARGET PRACTISE for Dark Elf Sorceresses.....*hugs new book*

You know i can stop your units from shooting with dark magic, right?
Old 11 Aug 2008, 09:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloelmo
Ill say it again........

Wood Elves + no magical defense = TARGET PRACTISE for Dark Elf Sorceresses.....*hugs new book*

You know i can stop your units from shooting with dark magic, right?
aren't those spells ~18" range - nearly half the range of a longbow. have at thee, moderately armoured foul dark elf.

but seriously, id advise a scroll caddy or 2 at least. not to cast spells (dont even try - risk of miscasts and all that ) but to bring ~4 dispel scrolls to the party. that should irritate even a vampire army

but PainKiller(JD) to answer your question, it is not a death wish but there are armies out there that have some pretty horrifying spells.

my brettonians have 4 dispel dice and 4 dispel scrolls. i use them to stop the first magic phase my opponent has and then aim for a turn 2 charge (16" charge range FTW >). you need to keep pressure on your opponent to stop their magic but dont forget you suffer no shooting penalties for moving so you can hide out of line of sight untill your opponents are where you want them*

*note that some spells do not require line of sight :P
Old 12 Aug 2008, 12:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, let look at the TK magic phase for example.

You will only have two dispell dice, in my army I have 6 casters.

One of those can cast his spells twice, this will always go off, assuming you save your dice ofr the healing spells (or casket) I will charge and attack you. My first Liche will usually cast so my screaming scroll catapult can fire, you cna stop that, but his casket will go off and kill later in the turn. The next liche will either heal, or cast movment on ushabti (orge equivilents) either you've blown your dice stopping the above spells (in which case, this liche can get the king into combat) or your still saving your two dice, so I might get two units into combat. Then my hierophant will cast, most likly getting another chariot unit into combat, this could be stopped if you've saved your dice (do you really want three combat in possibly the first turn?) but then I have the hieratic jar to cast with if I need to. Then finnaly the casket goes off, which, if you have saved your dice, then maybe three units wont be able to see it, thus saving them from casket death......

Oh and there is a bound spell thrown in there for funsies. So you ask yourself, how is two dice supposed to stop all that in one turn? And that isn't even close to what vamps/daemons/helves and maybe delves can put out. But with tomb kings, you wont even get the saving grace of miscasts......
adreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2008, 16:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You realize, adreal, that your movement spells are as nothing to a Welf player, right? He's going to run circles around you anyway, and if you charge, he flees and shoots you later. Plus, chariots? Moving through forests to get to Welfs? Chariots don't like to move through forests. Plus they're the first things that are going to be taken out. Especially if you're up against me and my 55 Glade Guard. The Casket is one of the few things Welfs really have to worry about, and it's what I'd save my dice for. Even so, I'd feel more comfortable with another die at least.

JD, what I'd do if I were you is, if you're really, really dead set on not having any casters (and I think there's something wrong with you, since Tree Singing is so great), I'd at least give one of your characters the Cluster of Radiants for the extra Dispel Die.

I personally run 2 Spellsingers in my Welf list. One has the Divination Orb and a Dispel Scroll, the other has the Cluster of Radiants and a Dispel Scroll. They are also level 2 so I've got 6 power dice, which is usually enough for a mild Magic Phase. I've got enough Dispel Dice to stop many magic phases, particularly those of Tzeentch Daemons and Helfs since they like to use 3 or more dice to cast spells. Always having that free die means I usually have many more dispel dice than I seem to. Plus 5 Dispel Dice is usually good enough for most armies at 2K.

It's mostly up to you, just know that Welfs are hurt the most by Magic Missiles out of any army, and any army can have Magic Missiles ('cept Dwarfs).

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2008, 00:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Cluster of Radiants is Treeman Ancients and Branchwraiths only.

I have three of four tactics for getting rid of their casting. Mind they will probably get two turns of casting off against me but they won't get any further.

The first is my lord. Alter kindred, Bow of Loren and Dragon Tooth arrows. Makes units Stupid. Second is my Way watcher noble, if the caster has join a unit. Hail of doom arrow them. Third, Waywatchers with killing blow. Lastly, Scouts.

And I have to be Dead set on no casters. I've already submitted my list for the tournament! lol
Old 14 Aug 2008, 02:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaffl
You realize, adreal, that your movement spells are as nothing to a Welf player, right? He's going to run circles around you anyway, and if you charge, he flees and shoots you later. Plus, chariots? Moving through forests to get to Welfs? Chariots don't like to move through forests. Plus they're the first things that are going to be taken out. Especially if you're up against me and my 55 Glade Guard. The Casket is one of the few things Welfs really have to worry about, and it's what I'd save my dice for. Even so, I'd feel more comfortable with another die at least.

JD, what I'd do if I were you is, if you're really, really dead set on not having any casters (and I think there's something wrong with you, since Tree Singing is so great), I'd at least give one of your characters the Cluster of Radiants for the extra Dispel Die.

I personally run 2 Spellsingers in my Welf list. One has the Divination Orb and a Dispel Scroll, the other has the Cluster of Radiants and a Dispel Scroll. They are also level 2 so I've got 6 power dice, which is usually enough for a mild Magic Phase. I've got enough Dispel Dice to stop many magic phases, particularly those of Tzeentch Daemons and Helfs since they like to use 3 or more dice to cast spells. Always having that free die means I usually have many more dispel dice than I seem to. Plus 5 Dispel Dice is usually good enough for most armies at 2K.

It's mostly up to you, just know that Welfs are hurt the most by Magic Missiles out of any army, and any army can have Magic Missiles ('cept Dwarfs).
eh you would be surprised about how movement spells actually work for me, against welf players.

most boards have what one or two forests (unless the welf player sets up terrain :P) and even then, they are easy to avoid and can be stopped from moving, so I dont have to move into a forest to get the welf players, sure wont work everytime but eh
adreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2008, 03:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainKiller (JD)
Cluster of Radiants is Treeman Ancients and Branchwraiths only.
Oops

Quote:
I have three of four tactics for getting rid of their casting. Mind they will probably get two turns of casting off against me but they won't get any further.

The first is my lord. Alter kindred, Bow of Loren and Dragon Tooth arrows. Makes units Stupid. Second is my Way watcher noble, if the caster has join a unit. Hail of doom arrow them. Third, Waywatchers with killing blow. Lastly, Scouts.
Erm. Dragontooth arrows only make a model stupid if they don't kill the model. Note that it does say model, not unit. If the stupid model dies, the unit isn't stupid anymore. Your Noble is a punch model that pretty much has 1 good round of shooting, then becomes a Waywatcher in all respects. Not worth it in my opinion. The Highborn seems kind of strong, though I wouldn't give him Dragontooth arrows. I'd give him something like Briarsheath and Helm of the Hunt. And a Great Weapon. And a shield of some sort. Enchanted shield maybe? And the 3+ Ward save that breaks if you fail it.

That's mean because you've got 6 attacks on the charge at strength 6 hitting on 3's. You've also got a 3+ save versus shooting which is usually between -2 and -5 to hit you. Then a 3+ Ward. So you almost guarantee he gets to combat with them mages, then you are allowed to direct your attacks at them and murder them. I dunno if that leaves enough points for the Bow of Loren anymore, lemme do the math... Nope, you'd be 10 points over I believe. Even so, my way is more angry and causes much more cussing.

Quote:
And I have to be Dead set on no casters. I've already submitted my list for the tournament! lol
Oops.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote