Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Welfs, please.
Old 21 Jul 2008, 01:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Welfs, please.

My girlfriend is starting Wood Elfs soon, now that I've convinced her that being a geek is not a bad thing. I know a reasonable amount about them, having looked very closely at them and contemplated starting them myself. However, I'm at a loss as to where to start her off.

She's looking at an army made up of mostly Tree Spirits, probably about 2/3 Tree Spirits to 1/3 Elfs. I've got a general outline in mind, but I want the opinion of somebody who's at least played some kind of Elf army before (damn me and my prejudice against pansy sissy Elfs).

So we've gotten her the Army Book which she's reading over, and I've promised her a Battalion as soon as I've got the money. It'll likely be an early birthday present for her. I know a Tree Man is going to be the centerpiece of her army, since she's been ogling over the model since she first saw it, so that'll be important relatively soon too.

So, here's my query to all who may see this thread - what's the best way to start her off? I want to help her build up 500 points at a time, and I'm going to be her primary opponent until she feels comfortable with her army. I'm going to be using Daemons (without magical attacks, because Daemons vs Tree Spirits is the most hideous mismatch in the damn game), and Vampire Counts.

So is a battalion the right way to start, or should I just be buying her bunches o' Dryads with some Waywatchers and Wardancers mixed in? Just how many points are in that Battalion anyway? 500? 750 maybe? At what point is a Treeman remotely viable (army not built to win necessarily - army meant to showcase Treeman as soon as possible. She's looking primarily to have awesome models, and secondarily to win)? How decent are Branch Wraiths?

Thanks for any tips you can give me, I appreciate them. I'd like to have a definite answer in a week when I get my first paycheck, that way I know what I'm gonna get her.

- Kaffl

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2008, 16:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Welfs, please.

I'm fairly certain that most battalion boxes usually come with about 500 points. Well the 40k ones do at least.
space wolf bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2008, 01:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I picked up an Empire Battalion after they came out and with 3 Hero level characters I hit 1K, so I imagine about 500 points is a good estimate. Quick math tells me it'll be around that.

I would like to keep this discussion going. It seems my paycheck is going to be larger than I expected (though I still only expect to pull in about $200 after taxes and whatever), so I can afford to get her about 1,000 points all at once (though she won't receive it all at once, I'll start her with a Battalion and a Hero and we'll go from there).

And this army is also for me. That's one of my rights as her boyfriend, I can high-jack her army whenever she's not using it for anything. Yay!

Old 25 Jul 2008, 01:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The deadline draws nearer, though I may not get payed until Tuesday.

I'm pulling in a whopping $300 this week (not bad for my first week at my first job) and I expect to spend about $200. I don't wanna spend any more than that because I'd like to have gas money and such. At any rate, I'm willing to spend up to that $200 mark on Welfs. I just need to know what to buy. I'm thinking a Battalion, a couple heroes (2 spellsingers and a noble? 2 spellsingers and a Branch Wraith? 1 of each? What?) and some Waywatchers. Maybe Wardancers eventually, but I'm not 100% sure. I may even spend some cash on my Daemons (I still need like 15 more Horrors to fill out my 2K list).

I would just like to know, as these Welfs are as much for me as for her. I want to play them just as much as she does, and being that it's a gift army she really can't tell me I'm not allowed to play with her army. I would go on looks alone, but I want something fun to play too.

Meh, I guess I'll figure it out on my own if these forums are as active as they have been recently. Damn you Arguleon Veq! I'll have to repost this topic now!

Old 25 Jul 2008, 13:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

the Welf Battalion + a lord choice + a nobel + a unit or something else will make good 1500 points. I know cause im just starting them myself and its my plan.