Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

special characters
Old 20 Jul 2008, 15:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to wyrd_ian
Default special characters

I remeber reading the standard bearer in a white dwarf some years ago about how GW wanted special characters to be part of the games we play without makeing them over powered so you didn't need your oppents permission. now with all the armies going though a revamp I've also seen some classic characters making a comeback and they've even gone as far as making characters that you can't use in games eg Harry the Hammer.

Now with the oppotion of all these special characters to choose from why do some of them get over shadowed and which if any do you use?

an exsample of an overlooked character is Grom the Paunch
I love this guy for a number of reasons first of all he's only 255 pts now for your points you get a chariot worth 63pts and he's also counts as an army standard bearer 25pts a 5+ ward save which cost about 30pts in most army books he's a lord level goblin 65pts kiling blow 25pts and Regen I think comes on average 50pts.
Thats 258pts this does not inclued his eats elves for breakfast rule makes your goblins exempt from the fear elves rule.

now he's a general and a battle standard bearer has a unit strength of 5 and he's more killy than rank a file troops. So why don't people use him?

KQD
-Disney: He's the puppet master, both our damnation and salvation. He rewards our successes and punishes us for our hubris (often in subtle but horrible ways). I suggest we do our best not to anger him, he is the greatest asset to our campaign and potentially the most fearsome foe we'll ever face.
wyrd_ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2008, 16:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq
Default Re: special characters

Grom although cool just isn't an effective game choice, Chariots are very vulnerable against many armies despite that 5+ Ward Grom has, he is an easy 250+ VP's. Plus when/if he does die, he gives you a lot more points for points for being the General and the Battle Standard.

Orcs and Goblins NEED the Generals Ld so whilst Grom is charging off in his Chariot. The rest of the army starts running away.

Old 30 Jul 2008, 17:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to wyrd_ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arguleon-veq
Grom although cool just isn't an effective game choice, Chariots are very vulnerable against many armies despite that 5+ Ward Grom has, he is an easy 250+ VP's. Plus when/if he does die, he gives you a lot more points for points for being the General and the Battle Standard.

Orcs and Goblins NEED the Generals Ld so whilst Grom is charging off in his Chariot. The rest of the army starts running away.
So players don't use Grom because they think he'll be difficult to use?

I'll ask my main question a second time incase people miss it, with the oppotion of all these special characters to choose from why do some of them get over shadowed and which if any do you use?

KQD
-Disney: He's the puppet master, both our damnation and salvation. He rewards our successes and punishes us for our hubris (often in subtle but horrible ways). I suggest we do our best not to anger him, he is the greatest asset to our campaign and potentially the most fearsome foe we'll ever face.
wyrd_ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2008, 17:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to ollieb8

Well, i played some games yesterday and (to make up the points) i used Thyrus Gormann and i found him very effective, he's quite expensive (at 500 pts) but his mastery of the bright lore makes him worth it.

I've found the luthor huss is also a great special character aswell, i like that he's not too powerful.
[spoiler=40K Clones]Wanna play as clones in 40K?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
I'm amazed at how balanced this is. I salute you.
[/spoiler]
ollieb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2008, 01:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

The ones that get overlooked do so because they just arent effective. Those that are get a LOT of play time. Look at Grimgor, Teclis, Franz, Hellborg, Manfred, Konrad, Thorek etc. You will see scores of those characters at tournaments.

I tend not to use Special Characters, although like Ollieb there I also used Gorman a little while back and thought he was great, burnt down a High Elf force with him. I have always like that guys fluff though. Bright Wizards in general.