Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting fantasy
Old 10 Jul 2008, 16:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Starting fantasy

Well I've decided to start fantasy after many people have been saying how much more refined the rules are compared to 40k and an overall better game (more people play it in Cornwall) only trouble I'm having is deciding which army to get, I'm considering either High Elves or Vampire Counts; 2 very different armies, I like the models for both armies. I was hoping a fantasy player could just give a general overview of how the 2 armies play to help me decide, I would appreciate it allot, thanks in advance.
Vendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2008, 16:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Starting fantasy

Well... I'm not gonna be a moral-monkey since I actually have both of those armies.
However, I can say this; High Elves are a simpler and IMO more fun army to begin with.
Vampire Counts are a bit unusual, and it's easy to make mistakes if you're a beginner.
Buy a HE battalion, Army book and perhaps a character and you're ready!

/Andreas
"We are the chosen of Asuryan, beloved by the gods and heirs to the world. Our armies are the finest in creation; swift where our foes are lumbering, cultured where they are barbaric. Give no thought to failure, nor defeat - we are the Children of Ultuan and we shall prevail." - Aenarion the Defender
MaidenAnte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2008, 17:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, I'm glad you are starting WHFB, however I can't say I'm glad that you are jumping on those guys. Well never the less, Their fluff is ok and models are very nice.

HE ->
Almost the official noob army of whfb. They can be very easy to play with when you want to start the game as the significance of a charge is far less important then it is for others. (Don't get me wrong, Vs certain opponents(Impact Hits) or if its a flank charge, it is still Vital) There magic is pretty unstoppable with Teclis and you can have some decent combinations. The army isn't cheap per say. but can be built on the budget. Though I myself prefer more stuff to overtooling anyday. Decide on a playstyle and play a few games. Also just because they are the noob army, doesn't mean they can not be played very brutally. A lot of pros use HE with great success.
***Just a reminder, if you would buy a battalion, convert your silver helms to dragon princes.***

VCs ->
This is also a very powerful army. It is not as easy to play, but once you get a grip on it, it can be extremely hard to play against. VCs usually have to use lots of magic (about 10-12 PD minimum) to help their army. You don't have to overload on the magic though as its not that crusheal. more then 15 PD IMO would be going kind of over board. Besides magic, Vampire generally have very tough and powerful heroes, an ability to make units nearly from scratch, corpse cart, ethereals (can't be harmed by non-magical attack) and very powerful cavalry, one of them hits harder then Grail Knight(though slower) and other ignores terrain.
There is, however, one thing that is going for the new VCs. They are a cheap army money wise. Because of your ability to raise new stuff, you can make "filler" (40x40 or 50x50 base depending on the original size of 40 or 50 base) with some left over arms or swords or w/e rising from the ground and this way save a TON of money. Good size units (20-30) of skeletons, zombies and even guals and grave guard will probably require one box (in case of zombie (and maybe skellies) u can try to make 2 out one box).
Vampires have some issues with chain of command (marching only near vampires, crumble and all that) so those are the things to watch out for. Also they usually don't take TOO much stuff right away but raise it afterwords.

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2008, 15:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_dog
HE -> Almost the official noob army of whfb.
Really? I really liked the High Elves model and fluff wise, what about the Wood Elves?

Thanks for the overview Red Dog, I'll keep that in mind.
Vendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2008, 15:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

NP man.

In I guess, HE deffence, they can be mastered and played as a very powerful and brutal army. In the end, most thinks comes down to your skill on the battle field. So its not TOO bad if you like them for models and fluff first, then why not? Its just lot of people been jumping on bandwagons too much latly only beacuse of how powerful army can be.

Woodies ->
Well a weird bunch. The book isn't new, but models are good, and rules are still VERY strong. They are usually on top of lots of tournaments. Having both very solid HtH fighters (dryads, treekin, wardancers), great and fairly mobile archery, Very powerfull cavalery (wild riders) and very powerful monsters (Treemen and Dragon are both present ^_^).
They have lot of magic tricks like 3+ ward(they come with some draw backs though), woods to woods teleport (damns thats a FINE trick), and Staff of Annoyance. (cast first spell that goes of on like 3+ as many times as u want...) There is more stuff but I can't recall as I don't have a book at hand.

On flip side, no ubber magic or any artilarry. No good (IMO) R&F troops can be a pain, but people play differntly all the time so, see what works for you. In all retrospects, thier book is very compedetive and also will take some time to master. So if you like that kind of stuff, woodies might be for you ^_^.

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2008, 15:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Honestly, HE aren't the noob-army of Wfb.
They are easy to play at a start, but when you start to meet more experienced players it becomes harder and harder.
"We are the chosen of Asuryan, beloved by the gods and heirs to the world. Our armies are the finest in creation; swift where our foes are lumbering, cultured where they are barbaric. Give no thought to failure, nor defeat - we are the Children of Ultuan and we shall prevail." - Aenarion the Defender
MaidenAnte is offline   Reply With Quote