Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dogs of War: Ugly Akmed's Camelry, plus new rules for Cavalry! [House Rules]
Old 06 Jul 2008, 17:23   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Dogs of War: Ugly Akmed's Camelry, plus new rules for Cavalry! [House Rules]

Ugly Akmed's Camelry
Hailing from distant Arabay, Ugly Akmed is not popular with anyone. Not only would a woman rather kiss his mount, he's also the only creature who spits more than the camel's he takes into battle.
Despite being able to turn milk sour with his breath, many are willing to put up with this horrible creature for the sake of his combat abilities.

For Hire: Any army except Bretonnians may hire Ugly Akmed's Camelry for 160pts. The unit contains Akmed, a Musician, a Standard Bearer and two Camel Riders. Additional Camel Riders may be purchased at +15pts per model.

Akmed's Camelry are a Special Choice.
[table]
[tr][td] [/td][td]M[/td][td]Ws[/td][td]Bs[/td][td]S[/td][td]T[/td][td]W[/td][td]I[/td][td]A[/td][td]Ld[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ugly Akmed[/td][td]4[/td][td]5[/td][td]5[/td][td]4[/td][td]4[/td][td]2[/td][td]5[/td][td]4[/td][td]8[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Camel Rider[/td][td]4[/td][td]4[/td][td]3[/td][td]3[/td][td]3[/td][td]1[/td][td]4[/td][td]1[/td][td]7[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Camel[/td][td]7[/td][td]3[/td][td]3[/td][td]3[/td][td]3[/td][td]1[/td][td]3[/td][td]1[/td][td]6[/td][/tr]
[/table]
Equipment:
Ugly Akmed is armed with a Sword of Battle (bonus included above), Light Armour, Shield. He is mounted on a Camel.
The Camel Riders are armed with Hand Weapon, Spear, Light Armour and Shield.
Special Rules:
Spook Horses: Camels cause Fear in any unit mounted on Horses (including Elven Steeds, but not Cold Ones, Wolves, Centigores or anything that isn't actually a Horse!).
Sure-footed: Camels ignore movement penalties due to sand-based terrain, such as shifting sand dunes, etc.
Seriously Ugly: Camels are truly disturbing things to fight; they smell, they spit and they generally creep the hell out of everyone - and Akmed's even worse! When Akmed is fighting in a Challenge, his opponent must pass a Leadership before any attacks are made. If failed, they strike Last, regardless of Charging, Always Strikes First or any other special rule, as they are repulsed by just how foul Akmed is face to face!

[hr]

Optional Rule:

The following rule may be employed in any game, should all players agree. Obviously, it is likely to benefit some armies more than others, particularly Bretonnians or other forces with a lot of Heavy Cavalry, so you may wish to consider charging these units a few additional points per model.

Counter-Charge:

To make use of Counter-Charge, the unit must meet the following criteria:
  • The unit must be Cavalry (ie: mounted on a 1-wound creature such as a Horse, Cold One, Wolf, etc). Dire Wolves and similar creatures that move as Cavalry, but are not actually mounted, cannot Counter-Charge.
  • The unit must have a Movement value of 7 or more, after modifications for Barding if applicable).
  • The unit must have been charged by an opposing Cavalry unit as defined above in its Front Arc, and must not already be engaged in combat.

A unit that meets the above criteria may declare a Counter-Charge as a Charge Reaction. The unit does not move, but counts as charging for all intents and purposes, except for striking first (ie: the Charging unit strikes first).

Counter-Charge may not be used against any unit except opposing Cavalry.

Light Chariots and Counter-Charge:
Light Chariots count as Cavalry for the purposes of Counter-Charge. If a unit of Light Chariots declares a Counter-Charge, they do not cause Impact Hits.

Centigors and Counter-Charge:
Centigores count as Cavalry for the purposes of Counter-Charge.

Counter-Charge and Frenzy:
If a unit is subject to Frenzy, it must declare a Counter-Charge if it is able to do so.

Counter-Charge and Impetuous:
If a unit is subject to the Impetuous special rule, it must declare a Counter-Charge if it is able to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jul 2008, 13:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq
Default Re: Dogs of War: Ugly Akmed's Camelry, plus new rules for Cavalry! [House Rules]

I think the unit is nice and fair and I like the rules for them. Maybe I4 Seems a little high though.

The Counter Charge thing would make for some pretty brutal cav combats, it doesn't really unbalance the game, not sure how often it would get used really though.

I've been tempted to do an Estalian Handgunners DoW unit, conquistador style.
Old 07 Jul 2008, 13:28   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Dogs of War: Ugly Akmed's Camelry, plus new rules for Cavalry! [House Rules]

I just noticed I'd put "Bonus Included Above" for Akmed's sword of battle, but hadn't applied the bonus!

He now has 4 attacks, as he should do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2008, 19:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to alilamyman Send a message via MSN to alilamyman Send a message via Yahoo to alilamyman

Are there any models good for These?
Old 17 Jul 2008, 15:56   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by alilamyman
Are there any models good for These?
There's always these from the Perry's: http://www.perry-miniatures.com/index2.html. EDIT: Hmm, only points you to the homepage. Oh well, they're under the Sudan range, Mahdists, box SA13, "Mounted Beja on camels with spears and sword "

Akmed himself may be a problem but its probably easier to find a nice, vaguely-arabic looking cavalry commander and stick him on a spare camel from somewhere. Google isn't helping me much on this one...

And as for how often it gets used Argeleon, can't speak for anyone else but certainly the first job my cavalry seem to do in Warhammer is to attack/be attacked by the enemy cavalry, if nothing else due to the large charge ranges both units have.
Pilum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2008, 16:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

I rarely see Cav on Cav combats, usually because the ranges are so similar that the Cav normally goes for the safe option and gets the jump on infantry they know they will deffo hit the charge with.