Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vampire Counts?
Old 05 Jul 2008, 22:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Vampire Counts?

Any advice or tips for starting this army? All I can think of is the battilon.
Old 06 Jul 2008, 03:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Vampire Counts?

Army book? ;D

No Pity No Remorse No Fear
[hr]
"All we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Edgar Allen Poe
[hr]
[quote=Earring (Busy Destroying the World)]
Don't worry too much...remember...females can smell fear
Malchior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jul 2008, 15:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, you'll need a vampire character to lead your army. Have a look through the different vampire powers in the army book and see what type of vamp you'd like to make. A feral monster stalking travellers through the mist with his ghoul followers, an immortal knight or a nocturnal aristocrat surrounded by an elite grave guard retinue. The choice is yours and the army book should give you plenty of inspiration.

With the Battalion you'll get access to a necromancer who, though weaker in every way than a vampire can be, can bolster your magic at low level games. Otherwise the battalion box gives you a pretty solid core to your army. You could even simply buy a couple more boxes of skeletons and then not have the zombies in your army list - raise them during a game.

Black Knights are brilliant due to their ethereal special rule. First choice cavalry for VC.

As far as rare choices go, a Varghulf is a nice option to round out your initial army. They're especially good at hunting war machines and lone characters. However, be careful when charging fire support units like archers - stand and shoot can kill a Varghulf with a little luck.

But basically get the army book and decide which models and/or unit descriptions you like best. It's the best way to build an army.
Kalarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2008, 23:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'd suggest you build up a solid troupe of Vampires, and the Batallion gives you a decent start. Core choices are important for Vamps.

Other than that, the most important unit in that book is Grave Guard. I can't stress how good they are, my unit, with characters, has defeated every every unit thrown at it in a 1 on 1 fight, and can usually hold its own in a 2 on 1 or even 3 on 1 without much difficulty.

That, and Konrad if you want a win-at-all-costs list, or even just a mean one for when you go up against the annoying kid at the store who can't do math and is always between 300 and 800 points over every time he plays a game. I hate that kid.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2008, 17:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Battalion, a Vampire and some more zombies makes a decent 1000-1300pts army.

After that, perhaps some more skellies?

/Andreas
"We are the chosen of Asuryan, beloved by the gods and heirs to the world. Our armies are the finest in creation; swift where our foes are lumbering, cultured where they are barbaric. Give no thought to failure, nor defeat - we are the Children of Ultuan and we shall prevail." - Aenarion the Defender
MaidenAnte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2008, 17:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Konrad Von Carlestein or Vlad, Batallion, Army Book, Black Knights, Zombies, Corpse Cart...then add to it after you win a couple of games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko- New and Improved

Amazing.

The butt might need some cleaning...
(It looks dirty in the middle )
Malendricus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2008, 17:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I find the only SCs worth taking are Mannfred and Konrad. Vlad is... well... not particularly good. He tries to do everything at once, and we know where that gets you.

Black Knights are a good choice even with a small army as they allow you to get flank charges without difficulty, and are still tougher than most other knights.

Grave Guard! Grave Guard! Take them in a large unit! There is no better choice in the book, bar none! You need them!

Old 11 Jul 2008, 12:03   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I've actually used Vlad with success. Put him in a unit of Grave Guards.
He can cast Invocation on them, use the Danse Macabre (that's what I do mostly), generates 2 dispel dices, and when he comes in to close combat he is good. 5 attacks with blood drinker, and the Dark Majesty...
But yes, I to prefer Mannfred since he is just awesomely magical but still good in Hth.

Anyways. As I said before: the battalion, 20 more skellies, Grave guards (or Cairn wraiths) and honestly, never use Konrad as a General since he dies so easily, instead buy a generic vampire and use Konrad in bigger games.
"We are the chosen of Asuryan, beloved by the gods and heirs to the world. Our armies are the finest in creation; swift where our foes are lumbering, cultured where they are barbaric. Give no thought to failure, nor defeat - we are the Children of Ultuan and we shall prevail." - Aenarion the Defender
MaidenAnte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2008, 12:48   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

If you want to know the basic template of most lists:

2 units of 25 grave guard
Vampire Lord with Crown of Commandment

Most lists seem to be built around this. You can really do anything you want though.
JoeGuardsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2008, 02:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeGuardsman
If you want to know the basic template of most lists:

2 units of 25 grave guard
Vampire Lord with Crown of Commandment

Most lists seem to be built around this. You can really do anything you want though.
That's not necessarily the best way to go. You won't have much more than those 2 units in 2k, and I've had astounding success running 1 unit of 20 Grave Guard and a lot of Core choices. I mean, yeah, it may work, but at the same time your general has to be outside of combat to use the crown of commandment. Personally I like my hardest-hitting character well-stuck in combat, usually with the Crown of the Damned and an ungodly amount of magic. Vampire counts live and die by magic, and by Core units. These are the 2 things I can not stress enough to any new Vampire Counts player, there is really no other way to play them well than to take a lot of magic and a lot of core units.

In low points I usually don't use Konrad. He's great, and yes he can hurt things, but I want him in a unit with my general so I know he'll always be leadership 10 for those dreaded stupidity checks. It really helps to not test on leadership 6.

One last word - maximise your characters. By this, I mean take a large volume of them. They're the reason why Vamp Counts work, undead were meant to play Herohammer, and by god they're the best at it.