Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

House Rule Idea: Cantabrian Circle and Caracole.
Old 28 Jun 2008, 23:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default House Rule Idea: Cantabrian Circle and Caracole.

Two old light cavalry tactics, modified for Fantasy. These specialized formations may only be used by Fast Cavalry; the Tomb King Chariot unit can use the Cantabrian circle alone, for the chariot is not maneuverable enough to use with the Caracole.

Caveat emptor: these rules are not intended to be remotely balanced, but to model cavalry tactics in a semi-accurate manner. Certain units like pistoliers would benefit from this far more than units such as Javelin Marauder Cavalry.

The Cantabrian Circle: The Cantabrian Circle was a cavalry archer formation used in ancient horse-archer armies. By forming an imperfect (circle), and constantly moving about, the unit of horse archers can maintain a rapid rate of fire into a focused area.

To perform a Cantabrian Circle, the unit must remain still. Create a circle of your troops that each angle is approximately equal to each other. A unit of 6 horsemen would form a pentagon, of 6 a hexagon, etc. Subtract radius movement from the march-move of the horse unit, then take that value and subtract from the circumference of the the horse unit. That value, divided by 2, is how many shots may be fired up to the normal maximum allowed.

Caracole: The Caracole historically became popular with the development of the German Reiters, and thus would be most common in units of Empire Pistoliers. It involved the cavalry ranking up like infantry and firing, retiring to the back of the ranks to reload while then next set of troops fired. To use the Caracole, one may not march and takes a movement penalty equal to the rank bonus of the unit (to represent the horses moving up). In this manner, every model in the unit gets their share of shots.
Old 29 Jun 2008, 10:43   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: House Rule Idea: Cantabrian Circle and Caracole.

The problem I see with your Cantabrian Circle is you need a calculator to use it. How about this:

Cantabrian Circle:
Any unit of Fast Cavalry may form a Cantabrian Circle. The unit may not move in the same turn. The unit counts as moving when they fire, but any model on the outside of the formation (ie: on the front, flank or rear) may fire. A unit in the Cantabrian Circle has 360[sup]o[/sup] line of sight for shooting purposes.
After shooting, you may rotate the unit to face any direction (representing the unit preparing to break formation and move on again).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2008, 16:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The idea of the Cantabrian Circle, and variants used in Egyptian/Parthian/etc armies was that all the firepower could be concentrated from a single location, which in warhammer purposes would be considered as a single model firing really fast (as all the shots are originating from the same location). In-game purposes, the mobility/formation penalties would be partially offset by the ability to fire down limited corridors.
Old 30 Jun 2008, 10:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

I dont see the point, plus its needlessly complicated. The second one doesn't really give any bonus as far as I can see, the first doesn't do much either, the Fast Cav rules already represent many tactics like that, hence the free reform, 360 LoS etc.
Old 01 Jul 2008, 04:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The second one was sacrificing movement to have multiple ranks fire through each other (something 360 degree fire doesn't do). Of course, IRL the caracole was perhaps the most illogical cavalry tactic ever designed, as it assumes the infantry you're fighting won't shoot back, and this continually ceased to be the case as the 30-Years-War ground on and the Tercio fell out of popularity. Using the Caracole against a 3-rank deep musketline was just ASKING to be shot.

Come to think of it, if there's an armybook I would like to see aside from Araby, it would be Estalia.