Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting dwarves
Old 13 Jun 2008, 20:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to alilamyman Send a message via MSN to alilamyman Send a message via Yahoo to alilamyman
Default Starting dwarves

Simply put, I am starting a dwarf army does anyone have any advice for me
Old 13 Jun 2008, 23:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq
Default Re: Starting dwarves

Don't fall into the trap of thinking you HAVE to use a Gunline, Dwarfs can make some fantastic agressive [and fast!] lists. Strollaz Rune, Miners and Anvil of Dooms all add a lot of speed to your force. The Strollaz Rune + an Anvil can make your Dwarfs about as fast as Cavalry for the first couple of turns, couple that with masses of cheap and dependable troops your opponent will be having a very hard time.

If you dont take that approach and go more traditional. Never leave home without the Rune of Challenge in your Hammerers somewhere.
Old 14 Jun 2008, 11:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I suggest you buy the Battle for Skull pass.In it you get 1 Thane, 1 Beast slayer, 12 warriors, 8 miners , 10 handgunners and a cannon along with scenery and some Goblins.I would suggest selling the goblins, then buying the Army Book (Unless you already have it :P) and then look at the Battalion. This means more warriors, Gunners and a new Cannon/Organ gun.Then I'd look in to some magical capabilities with a runesmith or something along the lines of that.Then I'd look into some close combat punch like Ironbreakers or Slayers.After that its really up to your own preference.You could expand with more core units or a few more lord/hero choices.

With the BFSP box and battalion you would have:

1 cannon
Another cannon/Organ gun
36 Warriors
26 Gunners
Slayer Lord
Thane

This seems a decent sized force to me.Remember your guys can be different units as Warriors can be assembled as Longbeards etc.
Old 14 Jun 2008, 19:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to alilamyman Send a message via MSN to alilamyman Send a message via Yahoo to alilamyman

i am getting the BFSB box setand then im buying some dwarfs of my friend which includes 6 slayers, a thane, a runesmith, a slayer, 16 warriors, 16 thunderers, an organ gun and 2 boltthorwers. I personally think this is enough but then i wanted another war machine but i am torn between a flame cannon, gyrocopter or the goblin hewer, whats everyones opinion
Old 15 Jun 2008, 10:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to wyrd_ian

first of all you need to slap yourself in the face really hard. I hate dwarfs with a passion because I always seem to face tham and their always in a gunline. but however it's your army & I hope you enjoy playing them. I know that the warriors can be made into warriors with varios weapons, longbeards and or rangers. now rangers I love because their the only dwarfs that don't hide in a gun line & I'm always looking for ways to remove them which tends to cripple my game plan. Ironbreakers (i think their called) can take a heavy cavarly charge and still hold that flank. and the sneakest tricks I know is to take a dwarf lord with heavy armour and great weapon keeping him nice and cheap becase nobody wants to get into combat with a dwarf lord.

KQD
-Disney: He's the puppet master, both our damnation and salvation. He rewards our successes and punishes us for our hubris (often in subtle but horrible ways). I suggest we do our best not to anger him, he is the greatest asset to our campaign and potentially the most fearsome foe we'll ever face.
wyrd_ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2008, 10:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

thanks a lot for the tips everyone, but i think i will go with the flame cannon