Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting Warriors of Chaos
Old 10 Jun 2008, 23:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Starting Warriors of Chaos

Hey all, with Red Dog's help, I'm starting a Chaos army. This is my first army for WHFB, and though Red Dog helped me out a lot, I'd like to know what you all think. This is a 1,000 point list, focused on the Sorcerors and hoping that their risky magic pulls through and does lots of damage.

Sorceror of Chaos - 185 pts
Barded Chaos Steed
Mark of Slaanesh
Familiar
Level 2

Sorceror of Chaos - 195 pts
Barded Chaos Steed
Mark of Slaanesh
2x Dispel Scrolls
Level 2

12 Warriors of Chaos - 247 pts.
Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer
Additional Hand Weapon
Shield
Mark of Slaanesh

12 Warriors of Chaos - 247 pts.
Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer
Additional Hand Weapon
Shield
Mark of Slaanesh

5 Warhounds of Chaos - 30 pts.

Old 11 Jun 2008, 01:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Starting Warriors of Chaos

Another one joins WHFB! ;D

Ok, so while u left I re-though few things and made a list while I had some spare time. While I though that the LD8 loop whole is good I'm not so sure now as I'm afraid you will not have enough dice... then again its only 1k. In anyway I though of this list. It should be pretty risky, but IMO can work at 1k.

Heroes ->
Slaanesh Wizard lvl2, Familiar, mount -> 185

Regular Wizard lvl2, Scrolls/Stones (probably Stone+Scroll) -> 160
***He'll ride in chariot***

Core ->
13 Warriors, shields, Extra Hand weapon, Slaanesh, full command, warbanner = 320.
*Slaanesh Wizard goes here*

2x5 = warhounds = 60

25 Marauders, LA & Shield, Full command = 205
***Equivalent of Empire swordsmen, sadly 1 point more expensive***

Special ->
Chariot
***Second wizards ride in here***

Total: 998

This is classical hammer and anvil. Chariot will be your hammer. You will have lots of stuff on table (unlike average chaos guy ^_^), two solid infantry blocks, a hammer (a chariot with character is US5 now and CAN deny ranks when charged in flank) and flee/bait hounds. Plus your magic should be pretty solid. At this level, people rarely have more then 4-5 dispel dice. You yourself will have 7 power dice and 5 dispel dice + scrolls/stones.

P.S. For another great army play style called "Village idiot", read this article on what "Village idiot" tactic is ->
http://www.warhammer-empire.com/warr...i_tactica1.php

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2008, 07:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

id advise dropping a sorcerer, as chaos has next to no renged support (other then the hellcannon) so you want to get into combat as fast as you can. instead of the sorcerer take a fairly cheap exalted champion (i advise great weapon and helm of many eyes) then upgrade a squad of chaos warriors to chosen status. This should add up too about the same, but give you a heroe that is one of the most powerful in the game and will make short work off any unit you might find in a 1000 point battle.
mamba21500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2008, 12:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

With Redbeards second list, I would give the Chariot Wizard Mark of Slaanesh instead of the mounted Wizard, if that Mounted Wizard joins the unit then he doesn't need his Mark. The Chariot Wizard could need one for that important charge to deny ranks.

EDIT - Oops, meant Red_dog lol
Old 11 Jun 2008, 13:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arguleon-veq
With Redbeards second list
o_O?

---------------------------->

Ok back to the topic ^_^

mamba21500 -> Magic is ranged support, furthermore. No one should get to combat "as fast as possible" (unless opponent is a gunline), but they should get in combat when they can win it. And sorcerer is T4 2+ armor. And you should read a new list mate as there are no exulted daemons. Heroes are now only wizard, and two champions. And aspiring champ is now only worth taking as BSB. But at this level, since ALL of the heroes have same LD8, wizard can be taken as general.

veq -> I don't think that's possible under new rules. I think new rules requires to have THE same mark on wizard as unit has. Unfortunately chariot has to be marked as well. So if guy wants to ride on top of a marked chariot, he needs two buy 2 marks, one for him and one for chariot. Silly I know. Otherwise, i would definitely give it Nurgle or Slaanesh. May be I've read that wrong, but I did read it QUITE a few times. I think that's how it is now. At least silly "general" mark is gone. You can mix the marks at will now in same army.

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Old 11 Jun 2008, 19:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

apologies to mods about double posting.

red_dog, three things
1) when did i say anything about exalted daemons?i know the only daemons you can get a daemon princes, what i said, and said quite clearly was exalted CHAMPION!!

2)i use the recently updated army list

3)ever tried playing chaos by hangin back, its got (i think) the worst shooting in the games, its abysmal! the only thing that we have is the hell cannon, and most people dont use them, as they take up 2 special choices, the only reason why you'd ant to hang back is for a mages body guard or to flank the other army. Close combat is the only time that you can't be shot at (unless you're cowering behind a mountain, and if you are, may the axe of khorne smite you down!) and chaos has some of the powerful, if not the best, assualt troops in the game as core choices, nothing can stand against 20 chosen warriors, so there is every reason to get into combat.

The hero i suggested always strikes first (even when charged) at strength 7! The only thing that strikes before him are high elves and they have a puny strength maximum of 5 or 6. f you give him the armour of damnation, about 1 in 20 attacks will even hit let alone wound. On the other hand if you have 2 mages, your warriors will be heavily unsupported and will soon get the chop against sword masters and the likes, or against vastly more numerous foes, and nobody can say that 5 (6 if frenzied) strength 7 attacks on the charge, wont help, cause it will.

Oh yeah the wizards got a 4+ armour save and T4 is not that great for a nigh on 200 pt character

mamba21500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2008, 20:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

mamba21500 ->

Sry, i miss read the champion. My apologies for that.

On the rest ->
-> You have no shooting? You have magic to make up for it. In 1k, 7 PD is very respectable.
-> On "hanging back". Who said anything about hanging back? o_O. Army is gradually advancing on the opponent. Depending on situation, either simple bait-flee played out, or classical hammer and anvil played out. Threaten his flanks with Chariot and wolfs, while anvil will not let him turn to face your wolfs as he has bigger problems to worry about.
-> Chosen warriors cost a LOAD of points and are definitely not for 1k games. I simply don't understand people who go into "over gearing". With the set up I gave, warriors are covered from ranged attacks very well (bar hand guns, war machines) and will never run either. In combat with 2 WS5 S4 attacks, they will do very well. Also, most of the time they will be in the same combat as the unit of marauders that has very good static combat res. Plus they have a warbanner themselves and a wizard to support them.
-> The champion you suggested, confers stupidity on LD8... Meanwhile, army has two main units... and one of them has a good chance of freezing... And no, being frenzy doesn't save him from stupidity. Even if it would, being frenzy is much more of a liability then an asset. Also while the champ might be tough in combat (he is), he has no ward, and he isn't though enough to take down a dragon (which will be major pain for this list as silly HE can bring dragons at any level). More then that, he offers no ability to dispel, or support units in any other way (not a BSB and his LD is same as wizards). You can take Champ at 1k, but that means other wizard has to be caddy and do nothing else (not good enough alone to cast anything). Magic these days is FAR from just offensive and if you can't shut it down to certain level, you will have problems.
This is why I suggested wizards. they will not die easy as they have (2+ mounted and 3+ chariot) armor and toughness (for a wizard it is EXTREAMLY good actually). they will have something else to do the whole game while your charges are being set up. They can get priceless movement spells, or fear one or just some missile to burn opponent's fast cav and abberly expensive troops (like sword masters). They will also help stop lot of magic (5DD and a scroll is solid for 1k). Over all IMO, they are just capable of great multitasking unlike, Champ+Caddy combo. In fact, the first combo I though of was Champ+Caddy as it seems obvious, but when I saw that wizard can actually be competent general, I though that two wizards can do more in such a small game.

P.S. And the since the old all-mounted army is very positively DEAD, Mortals will have to 'slow down', and not just run forward. Further more, yeah, you should hide behind terrain and use it to your advantage. Just because you have a chaos insignia on the shield, doesn't men you should have a sing on the back that says "kick" me.

Walk Tall everyone!!!!!