Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[Brettonian] Small Battle Tactics
Old 03 Jun 2008, 19:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default [Brettonian] Small Battle Tactics

Well theres been a few recent Bret players pop up on the board so i though I'd post a tactics thread for smaller point battles which new players start off at.I'll make a general tactics post first then go through the each type of unit (Heroes,core etc.)

Phrases i will usesaves me typing more :P)
KOTR: Knights of the realm
KE: Knights Errant
QK: Questing Knights
MAA: Men at arms
BSB: Battle Standard Bearer

General Tactics

Don't go overboard on Character(s) points, KOTR are expensive for a core choice as it is. :P

Don't get your KOTR killed to quickly, they are the heart and soul of you army and survival in a game.

Watch your KOTR for flankers, keep a unit near them to flank any flankers :P

Make sure you KOTR charge, lances are useless if not, but are ace if charging ;D

Make sure to have units with the Knight's vow near peasants to keep them in check

Protect you damsels, you wont have much of a magic punch in smaller games

Heroes

Paladins

Don't go making this guy all 'super-chessed' up with all the fancy magical weapons and what not. A paladin with a lance can just be as affective as some super duper upgraded guy. My advise for virtues is not to go over the ones for 25Pt's.The only steed recommended is the warhorse, with the save boost and no penalty movement your laughing.Personally i only take the knights vow in 1000pt battles. I run a simply but effective paladin at 1000Pt's:

Paladin w/ Knights Vow
Lance
Shield
Barbed Warhorse
Virtue of Noble Disdain 100Pt's

One of the cheapest combos(with virtues) and if used right can be deadly.He could hunt down weaker single units or to target warmachine crew or can pack a punch with KOTR.Don't let this guy get over whelmed or flanked and hope you kill as many as you can with your lance bonus on the first round.

Battle Standard Bearer

Well seeing as your not allowed extra equipment you can't really go overboard with this guy. Don't go taking the really super banners which cost you loads(for example the Banner of the lady which is as much as the Paladin above) :P. Same applies with this guy i only take knights vow.I take the conquerors tapestry on this guy:

Paladin w/Battle Banner
Barbed Warhorse
Conquerors Tapestry 99Pt's

Use this guy with KOTR to smash up weaker units and get easy victory points ,if you have no special banner, put him near peasants to maintain Leadership.

Damsels

I tend to just have 1 damsel with a Dispel scroll to advance with MAA to provide a LD bonus and to cast spells to support KOTR in a 1000pt army.That's it really.Mistress of the march is good if your knights are pursuing or getting charged. :P Edit: Just stumbled upon a little item , the Chalice of Malfleur which is useful against mage heavy list(e.g high elves, Lizardmen)

That's all for now will post Core units next time(Few days or so) :P
Old 03 Jun 2008, 21:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: [Brettonian] Small Battle Tactics

Due to popular demand ;D i decided to write some more tactics tonight.

Core Units

Knights of the Realm

Well this will be the longest information for a unit...Well without these guys you can't even play :P They are the heart and soul of your army.If the die too early you going to need one hell of a counter attack :P These guys can take on mostly any other unit on the charge and whip them inside out.(My Friends saruas' know about these guys >) When charging they are a non-stopping killing machine. Str 5 on the charge may i add ;D It's best to support them with MAA to stop flankers taking these guys down. Put them in Lance formation (see pg 40 +41 of Brettonian Book) for extra attacks.I Field them in squads of 8 to add a character to the front rank. I usually run this:

8x Knights of the Realm w/ Full Command 214Pt's

Used to hammer weak and strong units.If with conquerors tapestry will gain double points for standards, so you can feed of weak units which foolishly stand in your righteous path.

Will post Men at Arms, Bowmen and Knights Earrant tactics tomorrow. :P
Old 04 Jun 2008, 15:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

Some nice work, should be a good help for players new to Brettonians. +1 Karma.
Old 04 Jun 2008, 15:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Men-at-Arms

Where to start.Well they have peasants duty so dont worry about giving them full command to just lose more VP ;D. I personally don't take a unit of under 15 Models.As the amount of models is a factor for Leadership tests.Take halberds for fighting tougher units (e.g Calvary,Chaos Warriors) and spears if fighting a unit with around the same fighting capabilities as your men, as the extra attacks can really help. Also if a damsel is attached, and you have chosen the Bear's Anger don't be afraid to use it on your champion, the bonuses are well worth it. I usually put a unit for MAA near a unit of KOTR to counter attack flankers and give there weight in numbers , in case your knights fail to wreck the enemy or are hoarded.

Peasant Bowmen(Non-Skirmishing)

Also with peasants duty so you can have a full command with no problems . Use a hill to your advantage for the extra shots. I advise NOT to move these guys if at all possible.With the Defensive stakes you can Cancel out enemy charging bonuses.Longbows have a decent range so these guys should do alright for being in range of the enemy :P You don't have to take light armour,i tend to do just in case the enemy brake through, if you choose not to you could buy an extra scroll for you damsel or another Knight. I tend to take these guys in unit sizes of 20. Braziers can be affective if your facing an army that is flammable and even better, its dirt cheap >

Thats all for now, my dinners almost ready ;D :P

Edit: I am also working on different types of list(e.g Knight heavy) will post them when tactics are finished
Old 06 Jun 2008, 16:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Knights Earrant

Basically the same as KOTR for stats except lower Ld and WS. You will most likely be charging these guys and if not the Impetuous rule will make you closer or in combat. If they have the Errantry banner they will have Str 6 on the charge! Cheaper than KOTR so i usually field them in units of 10 or so knights. It's well worth taking Full Command with these guys seeing as they have quite good durability. Also' you'll be wanting to charge for them becoming Immune to psychology that turn ;D

Will post more on Sunday
Old 09 Jun 2008, 03:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Regarding bowmen, I almost always would take the Skirmisher upgrade for them, on account of it being dirt cheap for a massive increase to their shooting efficiency. The 360* fire-arc makes them that much more useful for guarding the ranks of large blocks of men-at-arms.

Speaking of men-at-arms, I would almost always recommend spears over halberds, on account of the extra attacks, as well as that the front rank will be fighting with HW+Shield, getting a 4+ save. This endurance, plus the Peasant's Duty leadership bonus, will allow them to survive combat long enough for combat-resolution to do its honors. They don't have the same defensive abilities as a detachment-heavy Empire force, but their durability for their cost makes them seriously worth consideration.

I generally like to consider cavalry units support for this reason, the reason being while they CAN kill lots of stuff, if the enemy can survive they'll find it increasingly hard to break enemy units, and their advantages as cavalry are nullified. Remember that a cavalry charge either needs infantry to follow through the gaps in order, or lighter horse archers to plug flanks to succeed.
Old 09 Jun 2008, 13:06   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Small note so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henderson
Braziers can be affective if your facing an army that is flammable and even better, its dirt cheap >
Braziers is THE only reason, one would take bowmen in current inviroment. They are MUST be taken at ALL times if you are taking bowmen. This is one place in pretty much entire game where flaming attacks will only do good then bad. Yes you will not be able to scartch dragon prines of High Elves, but you DO NOT target them. You target Rank & File. And with this new plague berrier, grave gaurd and many more will hate you. Because of the recent regeneration spreading around, these guys are now taken only for that as knight can pretty much deal with anything else, when played right.

Walk tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jun 2008, 13:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

'Speaking of men-at-arms, I would almost always recommend spears over halberds, on account of the extra attacks, as well as that the front rank will be fighting with HW+Shield, getting a 4+ save. This endurance, plus the Peasant's Duty leadership bonus, will allow them to survive combat long enough for combat-resolution to do its honors. They don't have the same defensive abilities as a detachment-heavy Empire force, but their durability for their cost makes them seriously worth consideration.'

You dont get the Hand Wep and Shield bonus if you are using Spears, as you aren't using a Hand Wep. You cant just choose to have the second rank fight with Spears.
Old 11 Jun 2008, 15:45   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Sorry not posted in a while but cant seem to find my army book,when i do i'll post some more tactica. :P
Old 11 Jun 2008, 16:50   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to bloodfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henderson
When charging they are a non-stopping killing machine. Str 6 on the charge may i add
since when do KOTR have S6 on a charge?
But Isn't it funny to think that guard might be able to copy eldar tactics slightly?
You mean "Perform Eldar tactics better than Eldar", right? :P
Not unless the Eldar have an obscure Warrior Aspect that revolves around the complete mastery of the common light bulb.
Infected by Skaven
bloodfire is offline   Reply With Quote