Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Night Goblins with Savage Orks
Old 02 Jun 2008, 17:58   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Night Goblins with Savage Orks

Not so long ago I started collecting Night Golbins. I hate normal Goblins so any units I buy which have Goblins in I'll just give cloaks and hoods. Also, I like Orcs but I never really wanted them. But, whilst reading through the Orks & Goblins Army Book and realised just how much I liked Savage Orks. Now being convinced I want to add a Shaman and unit of Savage Orc Boyz [for now] to my Night Gobbo's I just thought I'd ask for advice and opiniond first.

So what do you think of my plan and has anyone got any tips for fielding them?

- Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
That may just be helped by massive boobs though, i'm female. I don't know how that shiz works...
arandomshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2008, 20:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq
Default Re: Night Goblins with Savage Orks

I always liked the idea of Savage Orc Great Shaman with Skull Wand of Kaloth and Kickin Boots + Waaagh Paint with a unit of Savage Orc Big Uns with 2 Choppas. 3 S5 Attacks each for the Orcs and the Shaman gets 3 Attacks that can kill anything in the game and has a decent defense due to T5. Plus the Waaagh paint helps his magic whilst he is in combat.

You dont have to make them Biguns though, 3 S4 Attacks each is still pretty great.

500 Points if they arent Big Uns with the Shaman and a unit of 17 to join him [3 x 6].

I love the Wurzag model so I was always tempted to do it with a unit of Boarboys.
Old 09 Jun 2008, 15:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to wyrd_ian

Savage orks are great as a sledge hammer unit but also good for protecting your flanks their Frenzy makes them immune to psycology.

KQD
-Disney: He's the puppet master, both our damnation and salvation. He rewards our successes and punishes us for our hubris (often in subtle but horrible ways). I suggest we do our best not to anger him, he is the greatest asset to our campaign and potentially the most fearsome foe we'll ever face.
wyrd_ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jun 2008, 16:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to alilamyman Send a message via MSN to alilamyman Send a message via Yahoo to alilamyman

Also savage orcs can be multi-taskers as they can have both bows and choppas making them good shooting troops as well as being amazing in combat
Old 10 Jun 2008, 04:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If you REALLY want to talk about sledgehammers...that the Boars of Savage Orc Boarboyz also benefit from Frenzy means that a Big 'Un Savage Orc Boarboy will do 4 S5 hits on the charge. It's quite a nasty effect really, watching enemy infantry blocks get trampled.

Additionally, they can have spear-wielding infantry, and since frenzy affects everyone, a 10-Orc unit of spearmen will make a decent 20 attacks for a minimal point investment. The main issue is preventing the Orcs from being diverted by marchblockers...instead frenzied units should be used with some cheap goblin tarpits to serve as "rails" to guide the Savage Orcs as though they were classical hoplites. You MIGHT want to throw a single Black Orc character into the mix to keep the army operating smoothly.
Old 11 Jun 2008, 17:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks for the advice everyone .

MagicJuggler, I have Grimghor Ironhide so I may well convert him so that I can use him as a Hero. Any good?

- Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
That may just be helped by massive boobs though, i'm female. I don't know how that shiz works...
arandomshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2008, 02:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by arandomshadow
Thanks for the advice everyone .

MagicJuggler, I have Grimghor Ironhide so I may well convert him so that I can use him as a Hero. Any good?

- Shadow
I haven't seen the Grimgor model, but the idea of the Black Orc character is to use him as an officer to make sure you're screen doesn't decide to move out of synch. I'd frankly use either Night Gobbos or Arrer boyz for shooting instead of Savage Boyz, as they're cheaper and frenzy would only work against them. That said, having several units of regular (that's right, regular) gobbos in front of your Savage Boyz will help keep them under control, screen against enemy fire, and help provide flanking CR/prevent flanking at the hands of enemy counterchargers/detachments. After all, a 4-pt goblin with HW and shield is still the effective equal of a Bretonnian Man-at-Arm, the only disad being animosity. Even with WS 2, a big block of HW+Shield gobbos will prove a cheap tarpit while the savage boyz deliver pain on a small frontage.