Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Basic rules questions
Old 29 May 2008, 19:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Basic rules questions

As of now I am starting to write a 1000 point bretonnian list (most likely to combat Son of Nurgle's 1000pt lizardmen), this is my first experience in Fantasy and I lack the rulebook, I just have the Bretonnian army book so I have a number of questions about universal rules it mentions.

1) a unit of bowmen can be equipped with braziers, making arrows count as flaming attacks. what does flaming attacks do, cause panic?

2) what do musicians do to the unit they are attached to?

3) do mounts only attack if they meet a certain strength minimum? in the book it gives examples of Pegasus and Hippogryphs attacking, but not of the warhorses doing so. I assume that the war horses do not attack.

4) what are the rules for movement etc of flying units, I know flying cavalry is slightly modified, but this doesn't help if I don't know what flying does.

5) what does "unit strength 6" mean?

Sorry for so many questions, a friend I know has a rulebook, but he too is just starting and is not familiar with all the rules, but has told me some of them, as have the general reference and FAQ's on the old GW website.

Help is much appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Solar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip_II
PK nobs, Big Choppa bike boss, and Flash Gits!(oh wait that wasn't a tank, it was flying...) ;D
Shut it...
I love Flash Gits
Orks: W: 11 L: 4 D: 2
BA: W: 2 L: 4 D: 2
IG: W: 1 L:2 D: 0
Bretonnians: W: 2 L: 3 D: 0
Bretonnians ("Line Breaker"): W: 1 L: 0 D: 0
Clip_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2008, 20:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to bloodfire
Default Re: Basic rules questions

1 flaming attacks stop regeneration and do more damage to flameable targets
2 +1 ld on rally and on a draw in combat you win unless the opponents unit also has 1
3 no they attack if the rider can attack
4 they can move 20" with out terrain hindrance
5 the model is worth 6 unit strength for outnumbering and flanking
But Isn't it funny to think that guard might be able to copy eldar tactics slightly?
You mean "Perform Eldar tactics better than Eldar", right? :P
Not unless the Eldar have an obscure Warrior Aspect that revolves around the complete mastery of the common light bulb.
Infected by Skaven
bloodfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2008, 20:09   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
1) a unit of bowmen can be equipped with braziers, making arrows count as flaming attacks. what does flaming attacks do, cause panic?
Flaming Attacks have special effects against certain enemies, such as Mummies or Trolls. Unless otherwise stated, however, they have no additional bonus.

Quote:
2) what do musicians do to the unit they are attached to?
This is covered in the rulebook - Musicians grant you +1 Ld to rallying, and in the event of a Drawn Combat, your side counts as winning if only you have a Musician.

Quote:
3) do mounts only attack if they meet a certain strength minimum? in the book it gives examples of Pegasus and Hippogryphs attacking, but not of the warhorses doing so. I assume that the war horses do not attack.
All Mounts attack. However, if the mount has only 1 wound (such as Horses, Wolves and Juggernaughts of Khorne), then the Mount and Rider count as a single model, meaning you cannot single out the mount.

It is also a commonly accepted belief that Horses are the deadliest creatures in Warhammer.

Quote:
4) what are the rules for movement etc of flying units, I know flying cavalry is slightly modified, but this doesn't help if I don't know what flying does.
Flying models can move up to 20" in a straight line, and can ignore terrain on the way. You can use a Flight move to charge, but only if you can see the target.

Quote:
5) what does "unit strength 6" mean?
It means the unit counts as having six men.

Normal creatures, such as Humans, Elves, Dwarfs or even Lesser Daemons, have a Unit Strength of 1. That means if you have 20 Swordsmen, the unit has a Unit Strength of 20.

Other units have higher Unit Strengths; Cavalry typically have Unit Strength 2, Ogres have Unit Strength 3, etc. This means that a unit of 10 Ogres has a Unit Strength of 30.

In combat, the side with the highest Unit Strength counts as outnumbering the enemy. Unit Strength reflects the "scariness" of larger units; a mob of 9 peasants are not going to worry 5 fully armoured knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2008, 20:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

thanks, now that I know about flying and such I need to rework my general, put him on a Pegasus...
that means battle Pilgrims are scary as hell, or at least the Grail Reliquae is...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Solar
Quote:
PK nobs, Big Choppa bike boss, and Flash Gits!(oh wait that wasn't a tank, it was flying...) ;D
Shut it...
I love Flash Gits
Orks: W: 11 L: 4 D: 2
BA: W: 2 L: 4 D: 2
IG: W: 1 L:2 D: 0
Bretonnians: W: 2 L: 3 D: 0
Bretonnians ("Line Breaker"): W: 1 L: 0 D: 0
Clip_II is offline   Reply With Quote