Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Historical Army ideas...help anyone?
Old 28 May 2008, 01:05   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Historical Army ideas...help anyone?

Hey there. I'm interested in doing armies loosely based on antiquity, and am looking for which army idea would be the most interesting to see fielded. If there are other suggestions besides these, feel free to contribute. (I'm not interested in a Roman or ancient Greek army though as these have been already done with remanlegions.com and thebainphalanx.com)

Army Idea 1: Byzantines (count as Empire). The Byzantines have always been a favorite faction of mine to look at in history, their military being known for it's devestating cataphract charge. I was considering the army being a mix of Kislevites/Dogs of War/Empire, with Knights as Cataphracts, Ungols as mercenary cavalry archers, the Bearmen of Urslo as Varangians, and Duellists as javelin-wielding Peltastoi. Kite-shield wielding Byzantine Swordsmen would provide a heavily-armored base from which to move.

Army 2: Nipponese (count as Wood Elves). Konichiwa! This army is based on a crazy depiction of feudal Japan. Kiai-ing warrior-monks with halberds count as Dryads, with Kensai samurai as Warrior-monks. Waywatchers count as Ninjas, and Dogs-of-War Pikemen count as ashigaru auxiliaries. The Spites/etc. are used to represent crazy ninja weapons/shurikens/etc.

Army 3: Goddamn Mongorians! (Count as Dogs of War). An all-mounted army, with there being 6 Light Cavalry for every 4 Heavy Cavalry, and Galloper Guns as Rare choices counting as mobile ballistae.

Any more suggestions?
Old 28 May 2008, 17:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Historical Army ideas...help anyone?

If you wanted to theme an army on Nipponese then I would though Clan Eshin of the Slaven would be a better option. With Assassins [etc.] and all.

Well, an interesting army to make and field would certainly be a Chaos army based on Persia. Though it wouldn't include any actualy Chaos Warriors. For basic troops and cavalry you'd use Marauders and when it comes to the [supposed] 'mutants' Persia had you could just convert Chaos Daemons. I'd go with Tzeentch.

I'll update this post if I think of more ideas .

Hope it helps.

- Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
That may just be helped by massive boobs though, i'm female. I don't know how that shiz works...
arandomshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2008, 17:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok

Byzantines!

They are by far the best...
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
T pok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2008, 18:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Byzantines would be the easiest to represent with the rules, and probably one of the easiest to convert.

The idea of using clan eshin for nippon is alright, if you want your whole army to represent some sort of pseudo ninjas, but you could just as easily use empire rules again to represent your mounted and dismounted feudal samurai (knights and perhaps greatswords) while the spearmen and halberdiers, and even militia, work well for the lowlier infantry.

If you go for a persian army, you'd have to find something to use as cavalry archers... in almost every era, the persians were known for their excellent horse archers, just as much as their pathetic infantry...

If you want to use bigger creatures, you could even try some sort of indian army, I'm sure there's something you could use for war elephants and elephants with howdas...
Mr. Trulybored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2008, 21:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Prior to the big Chaos neutering (e.g. no mixing Beastmen with Chaos anymore), I was originally thinking of using the Chaos rules complete with Mammoth to represent an army of Ind. It would've consisted of a mix of chariots, kukri-wielding Marauders, Rakshasa beastmen (and Tiger Chariots), etc. If only...
Old 29 May 2008, 09:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

You could also use Brettonians to represent Huns. They're virtually all cavalry.

Remember the Carthaginians also used elephants! Three different 'ranks' of them.

Well, if you chose Persia you could just represent the 'mutant' side of it, making for a very interesting army.

- Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
That may just be helped by massive boobs though, i'm female. I don't know how that shiz works...
arandomshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2008, 02:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I contemplated huns as bretonnians.

For an army LOOSELY based on history, I've been considering using Chaos Dwarfs in Byzantine fashion. Heavy Dwarf infantry, supported by Varangian Black Orcs, Cataphract Bull Tauruses being supported by lighter Wolf Riders. The Blunderbusses would be Greek Fire flamethrowers. :P