Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

4000pts orcs and goblins
Old 18 May 2008, 14:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to alilamyman Send a message via MSN to alilamyman Send a message via Yahoo to alilamyman
Default 4000pts orcs and goblins

I am having a 4000pts game again a freind using my orcs and goblins against theie vampires. I know that they plan to take 8 vampires that are all good spell casters, and will haev 30+ power dice per phase.i was wondereing if anyone has any advice on what to take.
Old 18 May 2008, 21:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: 4000pts orcs and goblins

Dispel scroll, staffs of sorcery and any ork items with dispel.And I'd advise dealing with these wizards quickly, Ive seen what they can do
Old 25 May 2008, 16:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

This is the one of the few situations were Orcs' numbers aren't the way to go Because massed fear will cause ALOT of panic and fleeing, I recommend lotsa big bosses an ard' orcs, give em a good ol' WAAAAAAGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! *warboss mode off

Now in seriousness Get some giants :P

Quote from Bubgum: ... BrassDaemon isn't that stupid
Oh I assure you Bubgum I am

My instinct of selr-preservastion say: RUN! RUN AWAY!.... But I think my curiosity will win... AGAIn- quote Cmdrbonesaw
Brassdeamon14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2008, 20:57   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Never hurts to have the a battle standard bearer, especially one armed with Mork's spirit totem. Dispell scrolls on the shamans, the goblin Sneaky Staff of Stealin is always fun.

One thing to think about: Rolling 30 power dice a turn will gaurentee miscasts. Also, his vampires will be realtively weak as far as combat is concerned. Except for the Lord, nobody will have anything except power dice generation (Master of the Black Arts). Another issue is that to generat that many power dice will require him to spend a minimum of 1600 points just in his Characters. This being a third of his total points will mean that his units will be fuewer and/or smaller. Being Orcy, the tactic will be to surround and pound.

Tactically, you need to get into combat ASAP, preferably with a matchup of a very nasty Black Orc Warboss facing off with his general. Get as many flank attacks as possible to break rank and whittle him down. Keep your general in the middle of your army to affect as many units as possible and use heros on the flanks to bolster the units out of the generals command range. If you like chariots, remember that a chariot with a character is unit strength 5 and will break ranks. Unless he is fielding a Zombie dragon I would not field much in the way of giants. Even if he has ZBs you can compensate by using spear chukkas. If you can position them right troll can face off against Blood knights. Work to get the charge and vomit on them. This is one strength 5 attack that hits automatically and ignores armor saves. Couples with the regeneration, you have a reasonable chance of success if you charge. If he charges you have to be pretty lucky with the regen rolls to not get slaughtered.

Because the VC leadership went down across the board, the loss of the general is a bit harsher then it use to be. As always, the earlier the general dies, the more crumbling can occur.

good luck,

Matt
sirbrendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2008, 13:17   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
One thing to think about: Rolling 30 power dice a turn will gaurentee miscasts. Also, his vampires will be realtively weak as far as combat is concerned. Except for the Lord, nobody will have anything except power dice generation (Master of the Black Arts). Another issue is that to generat that many power dice will require him to spend a minimum of 1600 points just in his Characters. This being a third of his total points will mean that his units will be fuewer and/or smaller. Being Orcy, the tactic will be to surround and pound.
Ahum... everybody always underestimates the vampires, but they are still very though. For example, you can field a master of black arts vampire (3 powerdice) that still has a 2+ armour save and perhaps even a Strenght 6 attack. And the lord is totally badass. My lord oftenly gets charged (while he is alone...) by chosen Chaos knights, and doesnt even suffer a wound! To top it off, he massacres 3-5 knights in the next turn ;D Basically, and a lvl 2 vampire with the avatar of death is also a poular choice. Lvl2 wizard with enough armour to cope, or a great weapon.

And sure... we start with fewer troops, but we can make new ones. A magic heavy list can easily come off the table with more troops (even pointwise) then they started with (I do that alot).

Quote:
Tactically, you need to get into combat ASAP, preferably with a matchup of a very nasty Black Orc Warboss facing off with his general. Get as many flank attacks as possible to break rank and whittle him down. Keep your general in the middle of your army to affect as many units as possible and use heros on the flanks to bolster the units out of the generals command range.
He will probably try the same Be weary about zombie speedbumps.

Quote:
Because the VC leadership went down across the board, the loss of the general is a bit harsher then it use to be. As always, the earlier the general dies, the more crumbling can occur.
Very true. And in a 4000 points amry, this means masses will fall. But still, noone runs. If you lose your general, panicking assues. He will still fight on. And trying to find a vampire general in a 4000 points army is hard. Killing him even more.

The usage of fanatics has always been effective to kill characters though Try to focus on killing his wizards... but don't get reckless in doing it. The earlier they die, the less he gains in power throughout the game.
Dark_Wolfen is offline   Reply With Quote