View Poll Results: What Army Should I Play
Beasts of Chaos 4 50.00%
Orks and Gobbos 4 50.00%
Dwarfs 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09 May 2008, 16:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default What Army Should I Play

As the title says, what army should I play?

What I Have
I have the battle for skull pass, 1 box of chaos beastmen and the beasts of chaos army book.
I have already started on the beastmen as you can see :P

Modeling
The Beast of Chaos were irritating to make up, mainly due to the different gor/ungor body sizes.
The Gobbos were fun to model.... until I'd finished my 50Th goblin model!
The Gobbo captains made up for this though
I did minimum modeling on the dwarfs, I basically just glued them to their bases :-\

Painting
The BoC were okay to paint, but due to the models falling apart because of my weak bostik glue, I never got to finish them .
Once again the goblins were fun until after like the billionth model, although I enjoyed painting some of my friends orks.
The Dwarfs were really easy to paint and as there were hardly any of them so I got through them real quick ^-^.

Background
I like the BoC background, but I don't like their lack of projectiles :'(.
I know very little Dwarven background and the same goes for the Orks.

My 40k Armies
My other armies are Tau and Eldar, which are shooty armies so I'm looking for an assault army for a change, while still having some missiles to ease me into this new style of play.

I'm leaning toward orks at the moment.
wall 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2008, 16:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Re: What Army Should I Play

Hello my friend.

First priority is getting some proper glue. Definitely.

You have the BoC book and a box, good. Background drawing you in is good.

But you'd like some projectiles to go with an assaulty army.

Therefore I'd suggest to stay away from Dwarves, as when they're assaulty they tend to be quite counter-chargey - six inches isn't much.

Orcs and Gobbos can be quite fun but they are also quite unreliable, and their shooting is only effective in large amounts. Plus if it's the background that drew you to Beastmen I wouldn't recommend O&G anyway.

You have trouble with the Beastman models. To start off with I'd say "well, play Hordes" as they're Chaos and they are assaulty and they've got some awesome models that are easy to assemble.

However, you want projectiles. Plus, I'd imagine you were attracted to the Beasts because of their lovely ambushing and maneuvering ability. So with all these things in mind I'd recommend you towards Ogres.

I know you've just started with BoC but at least you haven't plowed into the army with gusto yet so there's still room to change - which, I'm assuming, is why you've come here. Plus if it's the Chaos background you like you can quite easily write some Chaos-ness into the fluff of your Ogres.

Ogres are fast and maneuverable (small individual units is where it's at), and they pack a mighty punch on the charge. However, they require careful handling - they're surprisingly not a sledgehammer army. And for your ranged you have the awesome Leadbelchers - unpredictable, but they are effective much more often than they aren't. And you can take Gorgers, which will fill a roll very similar to the BoC ambush.

That's what I'd recommend, but I'm familiar with every Fantasy army so go right ahead and follow up questions =)
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2008, 16:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thanks Jackoby the Circus, looking into the ogre kingdoms straight away!
Old 09 May 2008, 17:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

Id go with the Orcs and Gobs. You want combat with the ability to shoot and this army gives that perfectly. Plus the are pretty much just green Beastmen.

Both wild, both unruly and unpredictable, both headstrong, both have high toughness with low strength, both have elites with heavier armour and great weapons, the both have boars, their chariots are about the same. They both have a weaker part of the race [Goblin - Ungor] that are cruel and spiteful. They both live in the forests and mountains.

So if its background you like on the beastmen but the models of the Orcs. Then go Orcs as they are quite similar in terms of background and they can shoot.
Old 13 May 2008, 19:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackoby the Circus
First priority is getting some proper glue. Definitely.
Just got some GW plastic glue, I think I'll stick with BoC, but add in some ogre dogs of war leadbelchers in for firepower, they will be tainted by chaos of course .
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Heres my army list so far, more gors and ungors to be added and the leadbelchers will be added when the army reaches 2000pts.

Tzeentch BoC 750pts.

Wargor
Chaos Armour
Extra Hand Weapon
Mark of Tzeentch
Army General

Wargor
Chaos armour
Battle standard

Beast Herd
10 gors, 10 Ungors
full command

20 Tzaangors
Full Command

Spawn of Tzeenntch

Total Points: 749

Old 13 May 2008, 23:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

Looking good so far, nothing I would suggest changing.