Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Newbie starting fantasy! Gangway!!!
Old 26 Apr 2008, 16:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Newbie starting fantasy! Gangway!!!

I'm starting Fantasy, and I'm stuck between 4 options. They all have their bonuses...

Get Daemons-
Today saw the release of Chaos Daemons, and I saw their full potential today when I was watching a tournament. I really, really like them, they look like such a good army, they look cool, AND, I can use them for 40k as well.

Get Dwarves-
I've had my eye on Dwarves for a while, because I generally like them. ^^ I like their cannons, and I've seen them been played in a few games, and they look pretty awesome in-game, too. If I take this choice, I could...

Get Battle for Skull Pass set-
This seems like an AMAZING offer for new players, especially if I want to collect Dwarves.For £40 I basically get a Dwarf battalion, a rulebook, and a load of night goblins that I could sell off on E-bay or something.

Get Ogres-
I LOVE ogres. I know they seem to scream cheese, but (As far as I'm aware) they don't break all the rules, like Necrons, and they come in extremely small armies, so that kind of balances it out. I love their toughness, their sheer coolness, and their AAAAAGGH!!!ness! :P It also lets you have a fairly large battle ready army in a short time, because of the small amount of models needed.

Any thoughts?
"Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all my base are belong to you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Circus: Yes well Bubgum we've been gradually establishing today that you're wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Anton: I placed the broom between my legs, engaged the engine, applied the gas and away I was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
I'm working on it, I'll even unclip the crotch flap so it swings
Bubgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2008, 16:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Newbie starting fantasy! Gangway!!!

Don't get Dwarves. Just don't.

Daemons seem like a cool idea. Out of what you've mentioned I would choose them as they're new and if at any point you wanted chaos warriors you could just put them into the army.

Hope it helps.

- Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
That may just be helped by massive boobs though, i'm female. I don't know how that shiz works...
arandomshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2008, 16:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

Why not Dwarfs? unless its a total gunlines, Dwarfs are fun.

Ogres do not scream Cheese/Beard at all. They are a pretty weak army.

Battle for Skull Pass is an awesome deal. I'd even suggest buying a few BFSP box sets.

I'd say Dwarfs out of the 3 but thats my preference. You seem to like Ogres most though so you should probably go with those. They can win against bad opponents even if you dont know what your doing, due to them being hard hitting. Untill you get good with them though, you will probably struggle against Vets. Multiple Small Units works best with Ogres [MSU].
Old 26 Apr 2008, 16:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I said don't get dwarves because I hate them :P being a Night Goblin player and all!

- Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minako
That may just be helped by massive boobs though, i'm female. I don't know how that shiz works...
arandomshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2008, 18:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I would say dwarf. I do not really like daemons and the big babies called ogres are not my thing.
But getting battle for Skull pass is a real deal. Sell them gobbos, or better. Sell the dwarf and start the coolest army around, Orcs & goblins!

But I would say... Wood elves!
But then, you do not have that as an option so I guess my advice is By Battle for Skull pass and go dwarf.

My blog: http://mattiknife.wordpress.com
Ra´Meses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2008, 20:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hate the beards... the beards... *trembles*. Well just my experience that their beards are extremely annoying when you paint them, but I'm sure that's just me .

Anyway... so get Dark Elves joke.

No, what do you like the feel of?
MalusHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2008, 20:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, I think I've steered towards Ogres. But I've brought the rulebook, so I'll see if that can persuade me otherwise, before I buy my first fantasy models...

And the beards?! Pah! Eaasyy! :P I painted a dwarf at GW for my friend and it turned out quite well ^^
"Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all my base are belong to you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Circus: Yes well Bubgum we've been gradually establishing today that you're wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Anton: I placed the broom between my legs, engaged the engine, applied the gas and away I was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
I'm working on it, I'll even unclip the crotch flap so it swings
Bubgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2008, 09:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

well if you want unmatched long ranged fire power go with elves or if you just want to Run around and hit thing get ogres and bubgum the ogre you saw at the tourney were pimp squeak to beat because ignored all the magic i use to be a high elf player.

If you want a sig like this give, Hadhfang a PM http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn162/Ushar1/Orkwarrior-1.jpg[/img]
OrkWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2008, 10:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Orkwarrior
well if you want unmathced long ranged fire power go with elves or if you just want to rus around and hit thing get ogres and bubgum the ogre you saw at the tournie were pimp squik to beat beacuse ignored all the magic i use to be a high elf player.
Woah there Jedi/ork mix breed! Some puncuation and correct spelling please, it's very hard to understand what you're on about .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubgum
Well, I think I've steered towards Ogres. But I've brought the rulebook, so I'll see if that can persuade me otherwise, before I buy my first fantasy models...

And the beards?! Pah! Eaasyy! :P I painted a dwarf at GW for my friend and it turned out quite well ^^
No, I mean what style of play do you like/want?
MalusHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2008, 10:34   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hee! Looks like we have another potential Ogre player to join the fold...
*Grins Maniacally*

The one thign to realise about Ogres is that they AREN'T, as seems to have been mentioned by some people, a run in and hit army. that tactic just doesn't work, because you don't get enough wounds in due to mediocre WS, and you generally lack rank bonuses, which make up most of fantasy combat resolution.
So... Ogres are a bit of a finesse army. They have High Movement, high strength, and 3 wounds apiece, so, outmaneuver your opponent (Easier to do with MSU, which is part of the reason it's favoured) and clatter into their flanks/rear to negate those silly rank bonuses.
But, on the whole, we actually don't balance out too well against a few other armies. But when played well, devastating. For more info, I'd point you towards the Ogre Stronghold. These guys are some of the nicest and most knowledgable lot of players I know.
Ogre Stronghold