Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Would like to start Wood Elves...tips??or wat to buy
Old 23 Apr 2008, 14:39   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Would like to start Wood Elves...tips??or wat to buy

Hello to all...i just wanted to ask for all you veterans out there any tips for an aspiring gamer to start warhammer fantasy...

Any tips about the army in general?like what is necessary in the army...and anyone have the url for tacticas on wood elves??/thanks ;D
ramone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2008, 14:56   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Would like to start Wood Elves...tips??or wat to buy

Hey there! Welcome on board, and to the defenders of the True Glen

Wood Elves are an amazing army to collect and play, with so much variety. You are not locked into unwieldy, static units with the tree huggers, and can dance around the enemy til your hearts content.

Some good units to go for -

Glade Guard. I have two units of ten, and they are there to provide supporting fire, which they can do brilliantly by being able to move and shoot!

Dryads. These are the best unit you will ever see. Strong as a Chaos Warrior, the can race across the board and really lay down the hurt in CC. However, as Skirmishers, they are unable to challenge ranks, meaning they will need some support from some fast cavalry.

Wardancers. These are just gold in CC, able to use various dances to get different abilities. They hit hard on the charge, and can lay down a monster amount of attacks. Lead them like mine with a wardancer lord, and you will have a fragile, but heavy hitting hammer.

More later, as I am at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2008, 16:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

Depends what interests you most. Do you like the idea of Forest Spirits? I personally dont.

Forest Spirit armies are by far the most competative of Wood Elf builds though. Often dubbed the 'Tremonic Legion' after Daemonic Legions.

As has been said, Glade Gaurd and Dryads are FANTASTIC units. Especially Dryads. Glade Riders though are not too great, especially when compared with Wild Riders. You wont need them to fill out core as you have great core units anyway. They are useful for baiting though as Wild Riders cannot flee as a charge reaction due to immunity from Phsychology.

Wardancers and Wild Riders are amazing units. Make Wardancers at least 7 strong for a wide frontage when you get into combat.

Warhawk Riders are handy in march blocking and supporting rear charges, they are bestused in a force that utalises Glade Guard and Bows over Forest Spirits though.

Waywatchers, although I love them. Just dont cut it for me. The Treeman is a great choice, if a little costly.

Alter Nobles are Fantastic hero choices I like these two;

Noble; 158
Alter Kindred,
Great Weapon,
Light Armour,
Shield,
Hail of Doom Arrow,
Helm of the Hunt.

Giving you great shooting and 5 S6 combat attacks. Coupled with an awesome movement value, you have a very handy model.

Noble; 158
Alter Kindred,
Great Weapon,
Light Armour,
Shield,
Blight Of Terrors.

This is your typical Terror Bomb. Best used in small games where a few failed terror tests can criplple the enemy army. As you wont normally have any terror causing units in low point games due to their prohibitive cost. This guy has that, with the speed to really effect the enemy early with it, plus he uis handy in combat.

A spelweaver with the Wand of Wych Elm is a great unit to stunt enemy magic, could be vital with the plethora of High Elves, Vamp Counts and now Tzeentch Daemons popping up all over the place.
Old 24 Apr 2008, 14:57   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

what different styles or variations could the wood elves play as an army???i'm currently playin necrons in 40k..and we all know necrons can be boring after a while of playing...

ramone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2008, 15:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

http://uk.games-workshop.com/woodelves/tactica/1/

a good guide which i enjoy reading
it has strengths and weaknesses and the lot.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/woodelv...orestarmies/1/
http://uk.games-workshop.com/woodelv...asraiarmies/1/
http://uk.games-workshop.com/woodelv...s-ambushers/1/

these three are good guides and links for 3 of the different types of possible ways to play the WEs.
I personally like the ambusher tactic
enjoy ;D

sigged by DRobot

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying". -Oscar Wilde

"When it comes to thought, some people stop at nothing".-unknown

"we're not retreating; we're advancing in another direction"-General Douglas MacArthur
Grey Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2008, 18:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

A good choice of army! Join the true elves and then noble defenders of the Forest!

Get the battalion, a great start!
Personally, I am a lover of the elves. Dryads took a long way finding a place in my army, and then, they are special things. Not really dryad, but awakened trees, made from model railways trees, with dryad arms and twigs sticking out from their bases, and with spites clinging on to them as the trees crawl forward.
They are made a bit to look like Christmas trees, bent on vengeance against all amateur lumberjacks slaughtering defenceless trees at christmastide. Well, these trees ain´t defenceless. ;D
I also found a love for the burly bulky treekins, and I am thinking of mounting some christmas trees on their backs.
Need I say my army is winther themed?

But for the rest, I love them elves. The bulk of my army is made up of Glade guards and Eternal guards. Never leave home without at least 2x10 Glade guards archers and 20 Eternal guards.
Many do not like the EG, since they are not skirmishing like most of the other stuff, but I love them, as they are stubborn bastards, just like me! A noble, or a highborn in their ranks, and they will stand until hell freezes over!

Wardancers are my other fix. They are lovely and deadly. They are the real "Can do" unit of the WE and truly hated and feared by most opponents.
Then, there is the cavalry.
The core cavalry, Glade riders, are good, fast cavalry with spears and bows. A solid unit, but I have none so far. Then there is the special Wild riders, probably the most hardhitting fast cav in the game!
Got one of these units and they rock! I am thinking of sending my Highborn with them next time and have the Battle standard bearer babysit the Eternal guard.

But I must also invite you to the Wood elf site I am a member and moderator of, http://www.asrai.org/
Come over there and you will find loads of helpful members and expirienced players, hobbyists and fluffers ready to give you a hand and lend advice. And if they start to treat you badly, just let old Rammie know and I will deal with them.
But truth be told, we are a really nice bunch. I think we mods over there got it really easy, but then, we are vigilant and we have a really good and caring community that sort of look after themselves very well.

Well, once again welcome over there, all of you!

My blog: http://mattiknife.wordpress.com
Ra´Meses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2008, 19:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

I wouldn't buy Dryads if I were you, they really don't work at all for me unless they get a charge along with another unit, since no musician, no banner, and no ranks kind of sucks.
deraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2008, 20:03   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by deraj
I wouldn't buy Dryads if I were you, they really don't work at all for me unless they get a charge along with another unit, since no musician, no banner, and no ranks kind of sucks.
You might be using them wrong..... I've found them to be worth their weight in gold. Hell, I think they are probably underpointed, especially being a core choice. They are fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2008, 20:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Agreed Rafe. I dislike the dryads on principle, since I feel there is too much forest spirits in the army, but they are one of the best units in the army.
So deraj, you must be using them the wrong way. If you let them get charged by a ranked unit to the front, well, then they get owned, but they are not supposed to be charge to the front.
Move them around, threaten the enemys flanks,etc...

And when you come up against undead with pesky etheral creatures, the dryads are worth their weight in gold indeed!

My blog: http://mattiknife.wordpress.com
Ra´Meses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2008, 00:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

http://www.thebainphalanx.com/

Ever wanted to play a nasty phalanx army of doom, but aren't up for playing High Elves? Fear not as the Wood Elves have rather useful solid infantry in the form of their Eternal Guard. My only complaint is it looks like the armytype is illegal as he's missing a core unit...aside from that, it's pretty useful.

The Annoyance of Netlings is one of the best Spites out there, bar none, for placed on a cheap noble it will keep it safe from most challenges which is a good way to protect your rank and file from troop-killing characters.